Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
Sighted in with the newly installed GLX 1X. It gives me a headache to try and shoot groups at 1x, but my 5 shot group was 1.8". 4 of them were in 1.125". I can't really argue with that considering my eyes are the limiting factor. Results were similar to my red dot on the same rifle but I like an actual reticle with (illumination as an option) better.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
With the Kak a2 buffer tube, how are yall cutting the ends off and then epoxying them into the carbon tube?
I just use a hacksaw for all the cutting, but the cut ends are hidden inside the CF tube on mine. If you use a CF tube that fits inside the buffer tube, the ends of the buffer tube probably need to be cut a little longer.

After that just carefully prep, fit and epoxy ends in and clean any excess.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I personally like the longer handguard because I can better steady one of these ultralights with my grip our near the muzzle.... Not to mention I like the way it looks.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I personally like the longer handguard because I can better steady one of these ultralights with my grip our near the muzzle.... Not to mention I like the way it looks.
And if shooting off a pack, a longer handguard helps keep the barrel from contacting anything. And like JBradley500 points out, if you're holding the handgaurd, further out might work better. That seems to be the case for me too.

After messing with the Little Big Gun and finding I'm able to be more consistent off a rest by holding the handgaurd, I'd take the little extra weight of a 10" over a 7.5". It's a 9" on the Little Big Gun, which works pretty well, but if anything, I'd build it as a 10" or more on future builds.

How did you plug the gas hole? Set screw and loctite?
More or less. But it was JBweld and a tiny screw that I got to go in about half the thickness of the barrel(verified with borescope that it wasn't protruding into the rifling), then cut that screw flush with the outside of the barrel, and used jbweld to put an aluminum ring/sleeve over the top of the plugged hole.