Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Not specifically talking to you, Stupid, (that sounds far more insulting than I mean, but you picked the screen name! 😄) just general info for folks.
99% of the time the only difference between a centerfire scope & rimfire scope, of the same make & model line, is that the CF will have it's parallax fixed at 100yds where the Rimfire will be 50. Other than that, construction is usually (not always) identical. For normal hunting distance, it's not an issue. Once you start pushing beyond 200yds, it can be a problem, although not usually enough to cause a miss.
👍 And adjusting parallax is generally really simple. If they'd only make one of those 4x's with an Accu-range reticle...I'd probably gladly run one.

Otherwise, the 5x Primary Arms Prism seems pretty good. Working well for Taudisio apparently...whacking water jugs at 600 yards.

StupidLightweight mentioned this earlier though, and I agree: These rifles can already be so lightweight, a little extra weight for 5x-7x optics for shooting at longer ranges isn't a bad deal at all. It adds some functionality for the bit of added weight.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Hmmm...so there is a 4x with an Accu-Range type reticle. Well shit...thanks @StupidLightweight

Trackselk

WKR
-Looking forward to some accuracy/reliability reports on those wolfpups!

- is there any reason why a UL handgaurd can't be made by simply gluing (epoxy) a piece of carbon tube to a jag or smoke composits barrel nut? Drill or cut (?) Some holes in the tube for extra weight loss? I haven't tried to drill carbon fiber..?

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
-Looking forward to some accuracy/reliability reports on those wolfpups!

- is there any reason why a UL handgaurd can't be made by simply gluing (epoxy) a piece of carbon tube to a jag or smoke composits barrel nut? Drill or cut (?) Some holes in the tube for extra weight loss? I haven't tried to drill carbon fiber..?
None at all. StupidLightweight did just that years ago. No extra drilling/cutting on his tube, but you could I imagine.

Trackselk

WKR
None at all. StupidLightweight did just that years ago. No extra drilling/cutting on his tube, but you could I imagine.
Thanks, is there really a lighter route? I would think with a strap wrench you could get it plenty tight. And bring the wrench to the range so if you aren't getting the groups you expected, add another 16th of a turn at a time. Maybe some blue locktite would make sense if it's not going to be disassembled for a long time?

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I bit the bullet and got the matching Smoke Composites 15" PCC handguard to match the stock. The extreme contrast of pattern and gloss between the previously installed kaw valley handguard and the stock was starting to bother me.

I'm telling myself the additional length will help me shoot better and the matte finish will keep deer from seeing me, which makes it money well spent.

PXL_20240705_211028783.jpg

Clarktar

WKR
Well, I bit the bullet and got the matching Smoke Composites 15" PCC handguard to match the stock. The extreme contrast of pattern and gloss between the previously installed kaw valley handguard and the stock was starting to bother me.

I'm telling myself the additional length will help me shoot better and the matte finish will keep deer from seeing me, which makes it money well spent.

View attachment 732645
I've been thinking of putting a red dot on this. I primarily am building it for the kids to shoot and most of our shots are under 200 yards. Has anyone had experience trying a red dot on one of these AR 223 builds?

Taudisio

WKR
I've been thinking of putting a red dot on this. I primarily am building it for the kids to shoot and most of our shots are under 200 yards. Has anyone had experience trying a red dot on one of these AR 223 builds?
Yes. These rifles can be surprisingly snappy in the recoil department, just a heads up since you are planning to let littles try it. Yes I have a red dot on one of mine and am comfortable out to about 200 yards.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I didn't plan on it. I'm worried that at some point I may build a second one with spare parts and don't wanna get rid of anything that I'll need later. If I do, ill let you know!
I'd be more worried about building 3 or 4 or... 😅

I finished up V-II of my CF A2 stock. Drillied out some of my Farrowtech and cut the A2 ends shorter on this one. Here's the damage:
20240706_125604.jpg

20240706_125721.jpg

20240706_125734.jpg

This is really getting ridiculously lightweight. My rifles are -probably- already about as light as I want them to be. At this point it's more about what's possible for me, than what's practical for me. I haven’t hit the lower weight limit for shootability yet, but I imagine I'll be getting awfully close with the next build.

Oh, it would be pretty easy to modify this to "VII.5" and hit about 3.2 or so oz, but, like I said...

Last edited:

gtriple

WKR

I finished up V-II of my CF A2 stock. Drillied out some of my Farrowtech and cut the A2 ends shorter on this one. Here's the damage:
View attachment 732914

View attachment 732915

View attachment 732916

This is really getting ridiculously lightweight. My rifles are -probably- already about as light as I want them to be. At this point it's more about what's possible for me, than what's practical for me. I haven’t hit the lower weight limit for shootability yet, but I imagine I'll be getting awfully close with the next build.

Oh, it would be pretty easy to modify this to "VII.5" and hit about 3.2 or so oz, but, like I said...
Do you even need the buttpad portion? Or could you just have a small pad just on the end of the tube?

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Do you even need the buttpad portion? Or could you just have a small pad just on the end of the tube?
That's a good question. I've thought about something like that but have never tried it. With the right setup/foam it might work (??).

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
To start I'd go with Wilson or Faxon. You can always sell them later if you want to upgrade barrels.

BCA and NBS might be okay, but not any reports about them yet.

I started with stuff that was all off the shelf until I figured out whether or not this idea would work well for me. Now I'm at the point where these are all I'm using and I'd be much more willing to spend the money on an unported, "custom" profiled barrel or two.

Taudisio

WKR

View attachment 732914

View attachment 732915

View attachment 732916

I ordered the ID style like @robtattoo did. It should be here Wednesday. Going out in the morning to hang more cameras and we are going out at sunrise to try and get a pile of squirrels and shooting done. I’m going to try to get more on video.

You don't need the buttplate, but it is more comfortable to shoulder if a stock is there. If you notice, when shouldering an AR and looking through the optic, the top portion of the buttpad is likely off your shoulder. Shooting with a straight tube requires a contorted hold where you lift your shoulder and drop your cheek.