Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

This is a very cool thread. I've learned a bunch so far.

One thing I can share is this: I've discussed with KE Arms the prospect of skeletonizing the KP-15 lower. Not surprisingly, they discourage it due to strength issues — and I get why they'd say that. For an ambitious soul, however, it wouldn't be hard to lose a bunch of weight. Hell, dropping the buttplate alone is probably 2+ ounces. I don't know if you could get to 11 ounces, but you could maybe get down to 13 without going too crazy.

Regardless, it would be the best value by far in the lightweight lower arena. Not even close. Another way to save weight (for free) is to ditch the handguard and just rock an aluminum barrel nut.

Last edited:
This is a very cool thread. I've learned a bunch so far.

One thing I can share is this: I've discussed with KE Arms the prospect of skeletonizing the KP-15 lower. Not surprisingly, they discourages it due to strength issues — and I get why they'd say that. For an ambitious soul, however, it wouldn't be hard to lose a bunch of weight. Hell, dropping the buttplate alone is probably 2+ ounces. I don't know if you could get to 11 ounces, but you could maybe get down to 13 without going too crazy.

Regardless, it would be the best value by far in the lightweight lower arena. Not even close. Another way to save weight (for free) is to ditch the handguard and just rock an aluminum barrel nut.
Yeah, that buttpad will be among the first things to go. My receivers should be delivered tomorrow, so I’ll post here with weights and pictures.

Looks like some plastic or wood backing on a flip flop should work out nicely here. Found this photo on the KE Arms site.

1697005565687.png

BLJ

WKR
Thanks for posting. Really cool setups.

I probably know the answer to this but I’ll put it out there anyway.
Anyone use a Bear Creek side charger?
The specs have them pretty heavy on there site but that includes a full gas system and forearm.
For $200ish, maybe worth a try??

Thanks again OP.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
20230401_162913~2.jpg
6lb 7oz empty as shown including magazine, optic and NOMAD-Ti. That would be a bit under 5lb for the bare rifle, so not nearly as lithe as the OPs rifles. Need to upgrade the optic next.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, no, they take up too much room in the case. I use C Products 350 Lengend Duramags for the HAM'R. They allow loading out to 2.325", which helps, but not enough for the 155 ELDM. I used a Speer 150 BTSP on that moose, and we took another with the same. They expanded well, but didn't shed much weight. Probably don't kill as fast due to that. I was hoping the HRT would work out as it has enough capacity to make that bullet work in AR mag constraints.

These were the Speer BTSP from the two moose.
View attachment 612146

A grizzly from earlier this summer. Same bullet, worked well. Went about 30 yards and piled up. That's the first HAM'R I built in the picture. Used a Taccom stock on that one I never shortened so it looks a little funny, especially at that angle.

View attachment 612149

Didn't recover that bullet.

View attachment 612152
Great bear!

Any plans to use the 77 TMK on a grizzly? Rokslide needs a gbear to fall at the hands of a 223.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Thanks for posting. Really cool setups.

I probably know the answer to this but I’ll put it out there anyway.
Anyone use a Bear Creek side charger?
The specs have them pretty heavy on there site but that includes a full gas system and forearm.
For $200ish, maybe worth a try??

Thanks again OP.

I'm sure they would work fine, but won't make a super lightweight build. The steel bolt carrier, barrel contour and handguard being the major reasons. My first straight pull build was with a YHM side charging bolt carrier and a lightweight side charge upper and lighter barrel. It was in the mid-4lb range. Not bad for a first try, but not exactly what I was trying to do. It was competing with my Kimber Montana, which with a Ti bolt handle and aluminum TG is only 4lb 14oz, so there wasn't the weight advantage I was working toward.

You guys are getting me pretty curious about trying one of those KP-15s on a build!

BLJ

WKR
I'm sure they would work fine, but won't make a super lightweight build. The steel bolt carrier, barrel contour and handguard being the major reasons. My first straight pull build was with a YHM side charging bolt carrier and a lightweight side charge upper and lighter barrel. It was in the mid-4lb range. Not bad for a first try, but not exactly what I was trying to do. It was competing with my Kimber Montana, which with a Ti bolt handle and aluminum TG is only 4lb 14oz, so there wasn't the weight advantage I was working toward.

You guys are getting me pretty curious about trying one of those KP-15s on a build!
Honestly I’d be okay with a mid 4# rifle before scope and rings. That’s about half the weight of the bolt rifles I have now.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Great bear!

Any plans to use the 77 TMK on a grizzly? Rokslide needs a gbear to fall at the hands of a 223.
On the list for this coming spring. I think that was the first grizzly with the HAM'R (maybe the only one?). I'll see if can I do the same with the 77TMK (although I bet that might have already happened somewhere here, the 223 and TMK has been around a lot longer than the HAM'R and is 1,000 times more common).

I'll be on Kodiak next week...but zero intentions to mess with a bear...and hopefully none force the issue, mostly because it's a royal PITA to have to shoot a bear there on a DLP.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
View attachment 612700
6lb 7oz empty as shown including magazine, optic and NOMAD-Ti. That would be a bit under 5lb for the bare rifle, so not nearly as lithe as the OPs rifles. Need to upgrade the optic next.
Looks good. What handguard did you use? Do you know the weight? Always looking for new ideas.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Looks good. What handguard did you use? Do you know the weight? Always looking for new ideas.
Sorry, I probably couldn't tell you half of the stuff I used to cobble it together. I end up with bins and boxes of random AR parts and see what falls out sometimes. I was mocking it up for proof of concept before tailoring it for my son's size and use and that was on hand. Knowing me, it was a no-name bargain-bin item that I stripped the 1913 rails and end cap off to make lighter.

Last edited:
I received my complete KP-15 receivers today, and am impressed with how beefy they feel while still being lightweight. Skeletonizing the rifle might be tough, the inside of the buttstock is mostly hollow, with ribbed sections on the top and bottom to add strength and probably provide extra mating surfaces for the vibration welding used to connect the left and right sides of the receiver.

The recoil pad was lightweight and mostly hollow, as was the grip. I was surprised to find it was hollow with reinforcing ribs when I ran a 1/2" bit inside to see if I could get rid of some plastic.

I swapped the buffer for Taccom ULW delrin buffer (1.1oz), swapped the mag release, hammer, and trigger out for New Frontier Armory polymer parts.

Weights:
  • As received, full assembly: 27.7oz
  • Buffer: 2.8oz
  • Recoil pad w/screws: 1.3oz
  • Modified, full assembly: 23.9 oz
I installed a 16" Faxon 6mm ARC barrel, with their 10" carbon fiber handguard, on an Aeroprecision upper, with a lightweight Brownells bolt that I picked up on sale earlier this year (Memorial Day sale?). Total weight with a magazine came to 4lb 14.5oz. Lightweight, but not ultralight at all. An Aeroprecision scope mount will add 3.4 oz more, and if I add a 6x SWFA (likely), it will end up a chunky ~6lb 6.5oz.... plus a suppressor....

1697169284447.png