Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
If you want to play with a steel one that came with the bolt, PM me your address & I'll mail one to you.
Thanks, that's great info and thanks the offer to check yours out. This is going on my Solos. Not even sure what the threads are yet, but I think this will work. I've been looking at ways to lighten the Solo bolt handle to aluminum and this looks like a great option.

...Ordered...looks like it will be easy to shorten, modify, etc. Thanks again for the tip! 👍

Last edited:

AZsniper

WKR
Very cool. I just put some flat camo on my coyote gun. I made the pattern with a mesh laundry bag. Turned out pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_4494.jpeg
    IMG_4494.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4493.jpeg
    IMG_4493.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4495.jpeg
    IMG_4495.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 50
How do you find a dot for practical hunting accuracy?
You can't beat the weight of a red dot, but they aren't ideal for hunting. In terms of effectiveness, it goes iron sights < red dots < magnified optics. For a defensive carbine or shooting terrorists indoors, sure, red dot all the way. But for hunting, anything less than a magnified optic is a handicap.

I've been playing with Trijicon's 3x24mm ACOG on a basic lightweight carbine recently. It weighs in the 8-ounce range with scope and mount, is as durable as anything built, and even has the BDC reticle for 5.56 bullets. ACOGs aren't cheap, but this half-pound package might be the best overall option for a lightweight hunting AR. ACOG.jpegGasser.jpeg

ChrisAU

WKR
I've always avoided them for anything I thought I might shoot beyond 50 or so yards. I just don't think they'd be precise enough, but I'm open to having my opinion changed for $85 & saving 12oz!

I have a few rifles with red dot setups that I haven't found to be a hindrance, but only hunting tight quarters. Most shots under 50. But I'm comfortable enough with them to shoot under MOA at 50 if the rifle is capable of it and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot out to the limits given my zero and the game animal. Meaning if I would want to hold over or dial with a scope then I'm not shooting with a red dot.

Taudisio

WKR
I've always avoided them for anything I thought I might shoot beyond 50 or so yards. I just don't think they'd be precise enough, but I'm open to having my opinion changed for $85 & saving 12oz!
My only issue would be identifying my target, but I always have my binos on when I’m hunting. With my eyes, out to 200 yards, I am more than comfortable shooting raccoon sized targets.

robtattoo

WKR
You can't beat the weight of a red dot, but they aren't ideal for hunting. In terms of effectiveness, it goes iron sights < red dots < magnified optics. For a defensive carbine or shooting terrorists indoors, sure, red dot all the way. But for hunting, anything less than a magnified optic is a handicap.

I've been playing with Trijicon's 3x24mm ACOG on a basic lightweight carbine recently. It weighs in the 8-ounce range with scope and mount, is as durable as anything built, and even has the BDC reticle for 5.56 bullets. ACOGs aren't cheap, but this half-pound package might be the best overall option for a lightweight hunting AR. View attachment 682486View attachment 682487
That was pretty much my train of thought. I have a couple of fixed 4x scopes (old Japanese Tasco & Bushnell) that come in around the 8oz range. I'm torn between one of those & the Burris. I wouldn't hesitate in the old 4s, but I'm not sure they're up to even .223 recoil.

Taudisio

WKR
That was pretty much my train of thought. I have a couple of fixed 4x scopes (old Japanese Tasco & Bushnell) that come in around the 8oz range. I'm torn between one of those & the Burris. I wouldn't hesitate in the old 4s, but I'm not sure they're up to even .223 recoil.
I ordered a primary arms microprism 5x that will be on the 6x45. I have zero experience with them, but ~9oz with the base for a fixed 5 power at a reasonable price, I’m giving it a shot. It should be here this week. The reticle is a bit busier than I prefer, but I’m hoping to be able to reach out to 400 yards with it after some BDC verification range time.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I ordered a primary arms microprism 5x that will be on the 6x45. I have zero experience with them, but ~9oz with the base for a fixed 5 power at a reasonable price, I’m giving it a shot. It should be here this week. The reticle is a bit busier than I prefer, but I’m hoping to be able to reach out to 400 yards with it after some BDC verification range time.
I've been thinking of going that route as well; let us know how you like it. I've only been able to look through a 3x micro, but it was pretty good, much better than the vortex 3x.

My only issue would be identifying my target, but I always have my binos on when I’m hunting. With my eyes, out to 200 yards, I am more than comfortable shooting raccoon sized targets.
With good light, red dots provide ample precision. My biggest issue is low-light usage. You may see the dot, but without artificial light, the target won't be visible. Even an ancient scope will pull in more light.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR

I've been playing with Trijicon's 3x24mm ACOG on a basic lightweight carbine recently. It weighs in the 8-ounce range with scope and mount, is as durable as anything built, and even has the BDC reticle for 5.56 bullets. ACOGs aren't cheap, but this half-pound package might be the best overall option for a lightweight hunting AR. View attachment 682486View attachment 682487
Not that it probably matters for me as I'm too cheap anyway...but how's the eye relief on that? It says something like 1.4", which is probably okay for a 5.56 gasser, but would whack me with some of these builds.

(I should have said *obviously is fine for a 5.56 gasser* as there are thousands upon thousands of them in use.)

Last edited:

Taudisio

WKR
With good light, red dots provide ample precision. My biggest issue is low-light usage. You may see the dot, but without artificial light, the target won't be visible. Even an ancient scope will pull in more light.
I have not shot a red dot in low light, except at night shoots but artificial light was ample. I will have to experiment with it, thank you for the heads up. Depending on the distance, I have shot red dots with both eyes (close range) and one eye closed (beyond 100 yards typically). I’ll try both during twilight to see how much of a difference it makes. I have noticed the coating on my holosun is deeper blue tinted so it makes sense that it’s going to be a struggle.

Thegman,

Eye relief on the 3x24 ACOG is short, but it's plenty for any AR cartridge I want to shoot. The field of view, however, is glorious. Much better than the 3x30 that offers long eye relief. I believe ACOGs are a unique product line that more people should consider, especially for specialized AR applications like this thread is dedicated to.

Another ACOG, the 1.5x16, is my go-to close range optic. I call it a red dot +P. With no batteries, an illuminated reticle, bulletproof housing, and just a tad of magnification for target ID, it's a wicked little optic.

Taudisio,

Once you test them side by side, you'll find out how much additional hunting time a magnified optic can provide. Depending on the scope, it can be significant. The best I've used is Trijicon's 2.5-10x56mm, and that hideously large scope delivered an impressive amount of light. But even a basic 3-9X might give an additional 5 minutes of shooting light compared to a red dot.

Note that scout scopes don't work the same way. I believe this is because of the extreme eye relief. Regardless, they don't buy you time like a traditionally-mounted optic does.

Taudisio

WKR
Thegman,

Eye relief on the 3x24 ACOG is short, but it's plenty for any AR cartridge I want to shoot. The field of view, however, is glorious. Much better than the 3x30 that offers long eye relief. I believe ACOGs are a unique product line that more people should consider, especially for specialized AR applications like this thread is dedicated to.

Another ACOG, the 1.5x16, is my go-to close range optic. I call it a red dot +P. With no batteries, an illuminated reticle, bulletproof housing, and just a tad of magnification for target ID, it's a wicked little optic.

Taudisio,

Once you test them side by side, you'll find out how much additional hunting time a magnified optic can provide. Depending on the scope, it can be significant. The best I've used is Trijicon's 2.5-10x56mm, and that hideously large scope delivered an impressive amount of light. But even a basic 3-9X might give an additional 5 minutes of shooting light compared to a red dot.

Note that scout scopes don't work the same way. I believe this is because of the extreme eye relief. Regardless, they don't buy you time like a traditionally-mounted optic does.
I can’t wait to look through it this evening to see for myself!
Do you have any experience with micro prisms? When doing my searches online, the primary arms was referred to as an “ACOG killer”. I have yet to see one in person, just rolling the dice.
I’ve shot a buddies 4x ACOG one range session out to 550 without any issues except the inconsistent groupings from his colt 5.56 shooting 2MOA with the factory ammo he chooses to feed it.

robtattoo

WKR
So, I've had another weight saving idea, that's actually pretty cost effective:

Instead of going silly, drilling holes in my buffer tube, I've ordered a 500mm length of 26mm carbon tube ($18 on ebay) I'm going to cut the threads & end cap off the original buffer tube, and epoxy them onto the carbon. That way it'll still thread into the lower & the butt plate will still mount up, but it'll weigh about a half of what it is now.
The tube will need a little filing to get it down to the 25.54mm ID of the buffer tube, but i figured that was more sound than buying 25mm tube & relying on the epoxy to fill the gap.

Last edited:
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
So, I've had another weight saving idea, that's actually pretty cost effective:

Instead of going silly, drilling holes in my buffer tube, I've ordered a 500mm length of 26mm carbon tube ($18 on ebay) I'm going to cut the threads & end cap off the original buffer tube, and epoxy them onto the carbon. That way it'll still thread into the lower & the butt plate will still mount up, but it'll weigh about a half of what it is now.
The tube will need a little filing to get it down to the 25.54mm ID of the buffer tube, but i figured that was more sound than buying 25mm tube & relying on the epoxy to fill the gap.
Been thinking about doing this with an A1/2 buffer tube. Haven't quite figured out how to make an ultralight yet strong butt plate for it yet. Still thinking...

What's the wall thickness on your CF tube? I was also wondering if I'd have enough strength if I had to sand it down further internally to get it to fit. Definitely post your results 👍