Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
🤣 If the pressure dropped in half by the time it got to the port, you’re looking at what 20,000-30,000 PSI. Yea leather, duct tape, jb weld-it will hold.

I have a Samson gas block back ordered, when it arrives, I’ll let you know exact numbers from my rifle. I have about 100-150 rounds through mine open, but I haven’t bothered to chrono it. It doesn’t matter for my intended use of the rifle, but I have been curious about the numbers as well. Guys port their 4” Glock barrels with much larger holes so I assume it’s no big deal as long as there isn’t anything above it.
That's a good point about porting on pistol barrels. My Trail Boss is factory ported and I've never given it a second thought. With the rifle I think about my support hand down the barrel, but probably pretty easy to avoid the port on most barrels, hopefully 100% of the time. Maybe something to think about with a 300 Blk barrel and their port location, but a lot less with mid-length and longer.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Thanks. I wasn't sure if they would carry "normal" or if the ergonomics and weight would make them flip or do something odd compared to a regular hunting rifle.
Everything with a handguard 7.5 and longer have carried fine with a sling. Just tried moving the sling further down. Once I started getting below 7" they start rolling a little bit. Further down below 6" or so they start flipping more and more. Something to keep in mind for sling carrying.

For carrying my ultralights, I fill a large helium balloon and tie it to the barrel using dental floss. Once it's buoyant, I then fashion a small leash and tie it to my pack. A floating AR is essentially weightless, but you must be careful when going through brush. I've lost a few balloons and even rifles this way, so I'd suggest also bringing a BB pistol and practice your draws in case the leash snaps and you need to pop the balloon.

Taudisio

WKR
That's a good point about porting on pistol barrels. My Trail Boss is factory ported and I've never given it a second thought. With the rifle I think about my support hand down the barrel, but probably pretty easy to avoid the port on most barrels, hopefully 100% of the time. Maybe something to think about with a 300 Blk barrel and their port location, but a lot less with mid-length and longer.
I have found my hand placement as a non-issue with the 8.6” kvp guard and the faxon barrel. As for carrying the rifle, I opened the door to head to work Tuesday and a cat approx 120lb was standing broadside at 80 yards. I leaned back into the door and I had the ultralight leaning on the couch in arms reach. By the time I leaned back out with the rifle, the cat was gone. I walked around the yard (80 acres) for about an hour with the rifle. I was late to work but the boss was more upset I didn’t call in sick because “my cat died”. The rifle was a DREAM to carry around, except the fact that it was 28 degrees out and I was in a tee shirt. Felt like I was holding a pistol the whole time. My boss loaned me a predator call and I tried that afternoon. No sign of it coming back but it tore the hell out of a small cedar. If anyone has any ideas about how I can get it to come back, besides tying a goat in the yard, I’m all ears!

ebrownw2

FNG
Yeah let’s get that kitty kilt. What’s wrong with the goat idea? After the hunt enjoy some cabrito. Ha.

I’m not an expert or even a layperson on the subject of cats so hopefully someone with some useful advice will chime in. If they’re anything like Oklahoma bobcats they might be susceptible to some sort of scent bait.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
For carrying my ultralights, I fill a large helium balloon and tie it to the barrel using dental floss. Once it's buoyant, I then fashion a small leash and tie it to my pack. A floating AR is essentially weightless, but you must be careful when going through brush. I've lost a few balloons and even rifles this way, so I'd suggest also bringing a BB pistol and practice your draws in case the leash snaps and you need to pop the balloon.
This is the best idea ever! I'm going to fill every hollow area on my rifles with helium balloons. The balloon in the rear of the receiver will double as my bolt carrier return spring with a spacer to clear the trigger. Next level stuff...

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I have found my hand placement as a non-issue with the 8.6” kvp guard and the faxon barrel. As for carrying the rifle, I opened the door to head to work Tuesday and a cat approx 120lb was standing broadside at 80 yards. I leaned back into the door and I had the ultralight leaning on the couch in arms reach. By the time I leaned back out with the rifle, the cat was gone. I walked around the yard (80 acres) for about an hour with the rifle. I was late to work but the boss was more upset I didn’t call in sick because “my cat died”. The rifle was a DREAM to carry around, except the fact that it was 28 degrees out and I was in a tee shirt. Felt like I was holding a pistol the whole time. My boss loaned me a predator call and I tried that afternoon. No sign of it coming back but it tore the hell out of a small cedar. If anyone has any ideas about how I can get it to come back, besides tying a goat in the yard, I’m all ears!
Too bad that cat didn't demonstrate the patience they're so famous for. And yes, it's hard to imagine how nice it is to tote these things around, until you tote these things around.

I don't even get my 22LRs out anymore. The Red Ryder with 45 grain Speers over a two or three grains of Trail Boss is super accurate and at least a couple of pounds lighter, and a 10rd mag full of 77TMK in the pocket doesn't help much, if needed, when I'm carrying a 22LR.

bbell

WKR
I was just looking at x-caliber barrels and saw that they have an option for no gas port on their ar barrels. Have no idea how heavy their spaghetti or lightweight barrels are, but could be another option for those building these ar’s. 👍

I don’t own one of these AR based UL builds, but I do have a 5lb (total) bolt action and will echo what has been said about balance being a non-issue. The lighter the gun the less the balance point really matters. I can and do carry mine by the tip of the forend sometimes and it really doesn’t bother me, because the amount of force to overcome it being off balance is so minimal since the whole gun is so lightweight.

Last edited:

Taudisio

WKR
I was just looking at x-caliber barrels and saw that they have an option for no gas port on their ar barrels. Have no idea how heavy their spaghetti or lightweight barrels are, but could be another option for those building these ar’s. 👍
I ordered one around the 19th. 9 to 11 week wait time and we will know. 😉

robtattoo

WKR
Here's where I'm at right now, with my Broke-Ass ULUL build......

20240302_190334.jpg

20240302_190501.jpg
I'm still waiting on my TNArms lower (4oz) & Wiland handguard (5oz)
The BCA billet upper is going on the mill next weekend for a left hand charging handle cut & were going to slab & slim both sides & make some lightening cuts to the upper angles & rail.
It's 10.4oz now & I'm confident we can get it to 6.

That's an overall bare weight of 4lb 12oz (if my math is right) The buttplate is ripe for some attention & a few ½" holes in the buffer tube wouldn't hurt either

Total cost to date, not including shipping fees $364 + change. It won't be pretty, that's a fact!

Taudisio

WKR
Here's where I'm at right now, with my Broke-Ass ULUL build......

View attachment 681783

View attachment 681785
I'm still waiting on my TNArms lower (4oz) & Wiland handguard (5oz)
The BCA billet upper is going on the mill next weekend for a left hand charging handle cut & were going to slab & slim both sides & make some lightening cuts to the upper angles & rail.
It's 10.4oz now & I'm confident we can get it to 6.

That's an overall bare weight of 4lb 12oz (if my math is right) The buttplate is ripe for some attention & a few ½" holes in the buffer tube wouldn't hurt either

Total cost to date, not including shipping fees $364 + change. It won't be pretty, that's a fact!
Broke-ass build with a timney…..😏
I’m curious on your pattern/where you are planning to drill your buffer tube, and how much weight you lose. I have been planning on doing mine as well, just need access to a drill press so I don’t go all sloppy.

Did you end up going with a carbine tube and the end plate you located on Amazon?

robtattoo

WKR
Broke-ass build with a timney…..😏
I’m curious on your pattern/where you are planning to drill your buffer tube, and how much weight you lose. I have been planning on doing mine as well, just need access to a drill press so I don’t go all sloppy.

Did you end up going with a carbine tube and the end plate you located on Amazon?
I managed to catch the trigger on sale on Dvor for $60! 😎 I've tried numerous different mil-spec triggers & other 2 part triggers in the past & I just can't get along with them. To me, the Timney is money well spent. I normally use Rise Armament in my builds, but I could pass this up at the price. Factory set at 3lb.

I don't really have a plan in mind yet, but probably a spiral pattern of ½" or ⅝" holes.
I ended up going with this tube & plate, minus the foam & silly clamp-thing;

For an end plate & castle nut I grabbed a Strike Industries Ultralight on sale at Midway. 0.8oz for the set.

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
Oh, I also have a set of very lightweight, high, see-through rings that are as ugly as shit, but should work well enough.
I picked up a mis-spelled Burris Fulfield 2-7x35 on ebay for $65, which may be the best bargain I've had in a very long time!
She's a bit porky though at 13oz, but I don't have SWFA UL or leupold Vx2 UL money right now.

robtattoo

WKR
Fyi:
If anyone is looking for a low budget, side charging BCG.....

I chopped off everything behind the firing pin, since it's not needed. The 2 charging handle are all steel & weigh a ton (2oz EACH!), but the bcg is threaded to M6. An aluminum charging handle from a Ruger PC carbine can be made to fit in about 5 minutes & with a button head M6x20 bolt, weighs less than ¼oz.

ChrisAU

WKR
Oh, I also have a set of very lightweight, high, see-through rings that are as ugly as shit, but should work well enough.
I picked up a mis-spelled Burris Fulfield 2-7x35 on ebay for $65, which may be the best bargain I've had in a very long time!
She's a bit porky though at 13oz, but I don't have SWFA UL or leupold Vx2 UL money right now.

Here’s my 1.7 oz total optic setup :D

IMG_6899.jpeg

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I ordered one around the 19th. 9 to 11 week wait time and we will know. 😉
My 30HRT X-Caliber spaghetti barrel is about 19.5 oz. They're very lightweight in 30 cal. Would be a bit lighter without the gas journal, but I don't think they're making them that way, are they?

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Fyi:
If anyone is looking for a low budget, side charging BCG.....

I chopped off everything behind the firing pin, since it's not needed. The 2 charging handle are all steel & weigh a ton (2oz EACH!), but the bcg is threaded to M6. An aluminum charging handle from a Ruger PC carbine can be made to fit in about 5 minutes & with a button head M6x20 bolt, weighs less than ¼oz.
Do you happen to know where can you get a charging handle like this, other that robbing a Ruger? Lighter charging handles is something I want to get to for the next couple of projects.

robtattoo

WKR
Do you happen to know where can you get a charging handle like this, other that robbing a Ruger? Lighter charging handles is something I want to get to for the next couple of projects.
I searched high & low & this is the best I could come up with.
Screenshot_20240303_125345_eBay.jpg

All I did was file off the little flange at the end (chucked up in a drill & run it against a file) then drill the center out to 9/32.
I used an M6x20 button head screw, with the head filed down to fit in the handle.
It really is a 5 minute job.