Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

ChrisAU

WKR
That's a cool build. What does it weigh?

The barrel nut should come off with a castle nut wrench. Mine got a little dinged putting it on and taking it off though.

Let us know how it shoots.

As show it’s 3lbs 13oz. It’ll be over 4lbs with the handguard, may look into a reflex style sight to cut weight there. I also plan to run a YHM R9 on it and shoot subs.

robtattoo

WKR
My build is starting to come together, just really need a barrel. Shaw said no.

I received one earlier this week. I'm not sure if they're Faxon knockoffs or seconds, but it's dimensionally identical to the Faxon pencil barrel in my other 5.56 AR

robtattoo

WKR
Speaking of the AR Discounts barrel....

I blanked the gas system on it this morning. I'm still waiting on a few parts coming in & I'm antsy to be busy. I've read up on various options both here & elsewhere & I went with a combo.

I drilled the barrel port out to 0.120 making sure to NOT break into the bore & tapped it to accept a 6-48 screw. I stripped the bluing off a leftover scope mounting screw & fluxed the screw & hole. A half stick of Tix solder wicked nicely into the thread.
After cooling, I filed the screw down to flush, filed & polished away all the nitre coating on the barrel. That got a good fluxing too, then a thin layer of solder to tin.
I have a few leftover barrel band sling swivels from old milsurps & i cut away the sling swivel, creating an open ring. A little heat & hammering & I reduced it to an interference fit, then fluxed & tinned it.
A final flux to both parts & fit the ring over the filled port (making sure the slot was on the opposite side from the hole...) & soldered it all together.
A minute of cleanup & blast with flat black & voila.
Obviously I can't test it yet, but I've done similar things in high stress/pressure applications before & I'm 100% confident it'll hold fast.

20240223_101554.jpg
20240223_101739.jpg

180ls1

WKR

I blanked the gas system on it this morning. I'm still waiting on a few parts coming in & I'm antsy to be busy. I've read up on various options both here & elsewhere & I went with a combo.

I drilled the barrel port out to 0.120 making sure to NOT break into the bore & tapped it to accept a 6-48 screw. I stripped the bluing off a leftover scope mounting screw & fluxed the screw & hole. A half stick of Tix solder wicked nicely into the thread.
After cooling, I filed the screw down to flush, filed & polished away all the nitre coating on the barrel. That got a good fluxing too, then a thin layer of solder to tin.
I have a few leftover barrel band sling swivels from old milsurps & i cut away the sling swivel, creating an open ring. A little heat & hammering & I reduced it to an interference fit, then fluxed & tinned it.
A final flux to both parts & fit the ring over the filled port (making sure the slot was on the opposite side from the hole...) & soldered it all together.
Obviously I can't test it yet, but I've done similar things in high stress/pressure applications before & I'm 100% confident it'll hold fast.

View attachment 677624
View attachment 677625

Would a spot weld on top of the screw not have held up or is there something I am missing?

robtattoo

WKR
Would a spot weld on top of the screw not have held up or is there something I am missing?
As far as gas proofing, yes. But that amount of heat in one single spot isn't a great idea. The barrel will absolutely warp. Maybe only a tiny amount, but without the correct pre-heat & re-heat cycle there's no way to not induce stress. Tix solder is a much simpler option.

ChrisAU

WKR
Almost hate to spray paint the purdy Kodiak brown Handguard, almost. Cheapest color I could find ha. Also decided to try an Athlon Talos EDC red dot on a riser (1.74 oz total) before committing to the Sig Romeo7S I have on hand.

IMG_6826.jpeg

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Just when I thought the wallet was going to be released from the ICU this thread appears and gets me thinking about the polymer lower and bushmaster pencil 5.56 bbl in the closet. Very cool builds, not a straight pull ar but still pretty light bolt rifle I saw released for 2024 to add in the mix.
IMG_5640.png

OP
T

Thegman

WKR

I received one earlier this week. I'm not sure if they're Faxon knockoffs or seconds, but it's dimensionally identical to the Faxon pencil barrel in my other 5.56 AR

I was wondering who makes them. The only difference I see between them and Faxon barrels is the 1:7 twist

OP
T

Thegman

WKR

View attachment 677624
View attachment 677625
Nice work on that gas port.

Here's a pic of a port from which I just removed a reversed gas block. If your barrel does this (they don't all seem to), sealing the gas off shouldn't take much at that point, just something to retain that plug of copper.

20240223_134530.jpg

SLG

FNG
I was wondering who makes them. The only difference I see between them and Faxon barrels is the 1:7 twist
It seems to be a bit heavier, afaict. I would really prefer no gas journal or port, but the wait may defeat me.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I just pulled my 300 HAM’R ultralight barrel and replaced it with the unported 300 HAM’R I got from Mr Wilson. The barrel is about 0.4 oz heavier than the ultralight barrel it replaced, but loses the gas block so comes out slightly lighter overall.

I also installed a shorter and lighter handguard since there's no gas block hanging out there to cover.

The barrel was a one off, but maybe if enough demand eventually develops some companies will start producing some unported AR barrels. Thanks to StupidLightweight, it sounds like Shaw is planning to, but not quite yet. Meanwhile, you guys are pioneering how to cleanly seal a gas port!

This build would go about 3# 1.2oz with the A2/Farrowtech stock. Slightly lighter than the original "Red Ryder" even. If someone starts making really lightweight 5.56 barrels, sub 3 pounds would be realistic and beyond what I ever expected.

20240222_170147.jpg

20240222_170153.jpg

Last edited:
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Based on the 23oz weight, my best guess is Ballistic Advantage makes them. Faxons are 19oz.
That particular barrel is more similar to Faxon's Gunner profile rather than their Pencil profile, but as SLG pointed out, it's also a bit heavier than Faxon's 16" Gunner. I'd bet you're correct though, especially at that price. (Looking closer, it appears pretty different from Faxon's Gunner profile as well...not really like anything that Faxon makes that I can see...?)

Last edited:

SLG

FNG
I just pulled my 300 HAM’R ultralight barrel and replaced it with the unported 300 HAM’R I got from Mr Wilson. The barrel is about 0.4 oz heavier than the ultralight barrel it replaced, but loses the gas block so comes out slightly lighter overall.

I also installed a shorter and lighter handguard since there's no gas block hanging out there to cover.

The barrel was a one off, but maybe if enough demand eventually develops some companies will start producing some unported AR barrels. Thanks to StupidLightweight, it sounds like Shaw is planning to, but not quite yet. Meanwhile, you guys are pioneering how to cleanly seal a gas port!

This build would go about 3# 1.2oz with the A2/Farrowtech stock. Slightly lighter than the original "Red Ryder" even. If someone starts making really lightweight 5.56 barrels, sub 3 pounds would be realistic and beyond what I ever expected.

View attachment 677869

View attachment 677870
How long a handguard do you need to cover the faxon barrel's mid length gas journal?

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
How long a handguard do you need to cover the faxon barrel's mid length gas journal?
I have a pic in post 360 that shows a 10.25 guard on that barrel. You can see a 1" sleeve over the gas port.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
Shot mine today. With a red dot I could put 3 shots in about 1.5" using 77 TMKs I loaded. No where as good as my Tikka, but not bad considering the limitations of my optics setup. Should work perfectly for my 25 to 75 yard whitetail shots that I will see when using it.

Lastly, the thermalfit stainless sleeve didn't move. I'm glad I went that method since it looks so clean and didn't add weight over an aluminum gas block.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Shot mine today. With a red dot I could put 3 shots in about 1.5" using 77 TMKs I loaded. No where as good as my Tikka, but not bad considering the limitations of my optics setup. Should work perfectly for my 25 to 75 yard whitetail shots that I will see when using it.

Lastly, the thermalfit stainless sleeve didn't move. I'm glad I went that method since it looks so clean and didn't add weight over an aluminum gas block.
That's really good, I think. I'd be curious what you could do with the Tikka with the Red Dot; I wouldn't think it would be much better.