Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

Taudisio

WKR
I'd like to see a pic of that barrel and its weight when you get it.
Will do, I went with a recessed crown because I don’t see why I would put my hefty 46m suppressor on it and I hate thread protectors and muzzle brakes when I’m in the woods.

Taudisio

WKR
What kind of lead time have you guys seen from Solo 300 on components? I prepped my SBR'd lower last night, excited to get my hands on my 350 Legend upper ha.
10 days from order date to my door step at the end of January

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Another non-gas port barrel option:

Backstory...I had LRI put together a lightweight barreled action for a 6Creed. They use Ken at K&P to make their barrels. My barreled action was put in the mail yesterday (net result was 50oz including MacBros element action/bolt, 18 inch 6cm barrel profiled like a kimber, triggertech special, flared muzzle threaded 5/8x24). I made the original order at the end of Dec 2023, so only about a month and a half turn around, including hanging the barrel...

While I was on the phone with them the other day, I had asked if they did AR15 barrels. They said they did not, and that I was better off going to a regular AR Barrel manufacturer, like Faxon. But I mentioned the idea of a smooth AR barrel without the Gas Port, and without any hesitation he basically said, oh... in that case ya, we could easily do that... its just a pain trying to get them right with the gas ports, so if you don't need a gas port then that is something we could do for sure.

If this a good route to explore, it might be worth talking to them as a group... maybe could get better pricing... and providing them one of these 19.5oz faxon or Wilson spaghetti/pencil barrels for them to have Ken match the profile exactly. Might be a decent option for a relatively quick turnaround. (Going directly through Ken, apparently the turn around is closer to 4-5 months apparently... but he gets LRI orders in a couple weeks).

As my build just shipped, I doubt it will get to my FFL before next week... so I can't yet report on how well the K&P barrel shoots... but I've heard good things. Should be a good match for my HNT26 Chassis, as I've made an adapter so I can run the same 6.5oz folding stock that I designed for my AR, which puts my total chassis stock weight (including action screws) at 20oz in its folding configuration, and just 16.6oz without the folder. Including ti action screws, 50oz barreled action, and 3 round MDT mag... its looking like it should be around 71.8oz, or just under 4.5lbs bare rifle with the folder, or 68.4oz with my non-folding stock (just over 4.25lbs). Certainly not as lightweight as these 3lb AR15 builds... but pretty darn lightweight for a full featured REM700SA with chassis, that includes a full length ARCA rail, folding stock, cheek riser, pistol grip, thumb rest, QD mounts, and the benefits of a metal bedding block for the action. I'd say this probably represents the lightest you could get without going to a Pierce Titanium Action. Although I think it plausible to convince a barrel maker to make a true pencil barrel (like the AR barrels) that could get a 16 inch barrel down into the 19oz range (mine turned out around 27oz at 18 inches). Or if MDT could be convinced to make an HNT26 chassis for the Kimber 84m... that could shave off a couple ounces... as that would allow you to ditch the heavy 84m hunter mags and steel followers needed on typical 84m builds.

All else being equal, it is possible to get a traditional bolt action build, like a kimber 84m, down into the mid-high 3lb range, as others have posted about elsewhere on RS... but those uberlites always came in the most minimalist/skeletonized fashion as possible, which affects shootability at longer ranges and limits their utility to a degree. However, with the enhanced shootability of the chassis features, plus a suppressor to tame the already mild 6MMCreed, I'm hoping this rifle could represent what is possible in the future... truly ultralight but full featured and still long range capable rifles that are easy to shoot with smaller calibers.
👍 I would be interested in that. Wilson Combat's profiles are probably the thinnest and lightest overall, but the profiles vary depending on bore size. .48" o.d. for .224 bore and around .56" o.d. for .308 bore.

X-Caliber's spaghetti profile would be worth looking at too. It's basically a straight profile all the way from a quick taper near the breech. However, AFAIK, it's only made in .600" o.d. and bored up to .338 cal. That makes a super lightweight .338 bore barrel, but not as much with a .224 bore. Combining a simple x-caliber type profile matched to a minimal o.d. depending on bore size of chambering might work well and be easy for him to do(?).

Any welders out there? - Would it be possible/functional to weld the gas hole in the barrel closed without damaging the barrel (warp, structurally compromise, ...)? I don't think one would need a lot of weld penetration to effectively plug the hole (I could be wrong).

Any welders out there? - Would it be possible/functional to weld the gas hole in the barrel closed without damaging the barrel (warp, structurally compromise, ...)? I don't think one would need a lot of weld penetration to effectively plug the hole (I could be wrong).
Alternatively you can just put a low profile gas block on it upside down, the set screw should drive straight into the gas port. It’s not the lightest possible solution but it’s mechanically sound.

*now I see this was literally discussed on page 1. That’s what I get for jumping to the end of a thread.

Last edited:

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
Pin and weld would be the only way I would consider it - probably thread for a set screw and weld it in place. Even then, I can't imagine you'll get away with zero distortion. Most of my experience is heavy structural steel, so I could be totally wrong, but I wouldn't start with a barrel I cared about.

ChrisAU

WKR
Got the IMI stock in today and I actually really like it. 6.5 oz total, locks positively, and locks closed. LOP is about what I’m used to with an AR. As far as install, it was a very snug fit in my Spikes lower, to the point I needed a wrench to finish tightening it. It’s not gonna move. Whole lower is 20.8oz, with an ambi safety and a Timney drop in trigger.

IMG_6781.jpeg

SLG

FNG
Got the IMI stock in today and I actually really like it. 6.5 oz total, locks positively, and locks closed. LOP is about what I’m used to with an AR. As far as install, it was a very snug fit in my Spikes lower, to the point I needed a wrench to finish tightening it. It’s not gonna move. Whole lower is 20.8oz, with an ambi safety and a Timney drop in trigger.

View attachment 674527
How sturdy is it?

OP
T

Thegman

WKR

View attachment 674527
Interesting option.

Is there a sling point for carrying it folded, and what's the LOP? Looks easy to extend the LOP with some foam if desired.

Their website lists it as weighing 350g, a little over 12 oz. The whole thing was actually half that weight? A lot more interesting if that's the case.

Thanks for the info on this.

ChrisAU

WKR
Interesting option.

Is there a sling point for carrying it folded, and what's the LOP? Looks easy to extend the LOP with some foam if desired.

Their website lists it as weighing 350g, a little over 12 oz. The whole thing was actually half that weight? A lot more interesting if that's the case.

Thanks for the info on this.

I’ll measure LOP later today and report back. No place for a sling. I actually ordered a 7.3” Aero S-One handguard this morning to have some M-Lok and and a QD sling point for single point carry. Couple oz heavier than the Kaw Valley carbon fiber hand guard I got but I think it’ll be worth it, for me.

Yes, the entire stock is 6.5 oz on my scale.

Side note, if anyone wants a 7.25” Kaw Valley carbon fiber Handguard I’ll make them a deal!

180ls1

WKR
This build has just reminded me about how unnecessarily "heavy" most rifles really are... I've got my kimber hunter 308win cut down to 16 inches, minimalist on the stock, etc, and with the same scope, tripod, and suppressor as on the AR, it's about 6lbs 2oz. At most I could shave off another 3-4oz or so with a fluted barrel like the ascent, ti action screws, ti bolt knob, and going crazy with skeletonizing the stock more... maybe 5oz if someone could come up with a poly mag to replace the stupid factory steel one that kimber makes... but I could also shave another oz or two off of the AR with a ti charging handle, and skeletonizing the upper. Plus. If I'm really comparing apple to apples... I'd remove the 3.4oz folder adapter from the AR15 and add the couple ounces for a 22 cal barrel on the kimber. Realistically, the AR will be a good pound lighter than the lightest traditional bolt action out there, assuming you are truly comparing apples to apples...

Although I would say, i suppose it would be possible to find a kimber 84m Action set up with a 223 bolt, and then have a true pencil profile barrel made for it... like the AR pencil barrels... that would probably shave 6-8 ounces off of the factory kimber profile barrel... maybe then, plus some aggressive fluting of the bolt and action you could get a bare kimber rifle in a 22cal down to 3lbs... seems like @StupidLightweight did something like that with his kimber in a 6mm Creedmoor.

How would you compare the real-world range/accuracy between the two? Or just with these Ultralite builds in general.

For instance, with my bow, the longer ATA version and an offset/rear bar added about a pound but probably increased my usable range by 15-20 yards and it settles down much quicker for the shot. It is well worth the trade-off in my book.

How would you compare the real-world range/accuracy between the two? Or just with these Ultralite builds in general.

For instance, with my bow, the longer ATA version and an offset/rear bar added about a pound but probably increased my usable range by 15-20 yards and it settles down much quicker for the shot. It is well worth the trade-off in my book.
I can't speak for Packgoatguy, but my experiences with ultralights mirrors your experience with bows. I don't shoot long range on game, but I'd say an extra pound or two on a rifle enables me to shoot hundreds of yards further with comparable accuracy.

Once you get below 6 pounds total weight, rifles become so much harder to shoot. There's an inverse relationship between weight and stability. When my kids are old enough to hunt, there's no way I'll let them use ultralight rifles. I will start them out with a 7+pound .223.

All that said, these ultralight ARs are easier for me to shoot than ultralight bolt-actions. Could be the lower recoil, could be the ergonomics. I'm not certain.

180ls1

WKR
I can't speak for Packgoatguy, but my experiences with ultralights mirrors your experience with bows. I don't shoot long range on game, but I'd say an extra pound or two on a rifle enables me to shoot hundreds of yards further with comparable accuracy.

Once you get below 6 pounds total weight, rifles become so much harder to shoot. There's an inverse relationship between weight and stability. When my kids are old enough to hunt, there's no way I'll let them use ultralight rifles. I will start them out with a 7+pound .223.

All that said, these ultralight ARs are easier for me to shoot than ultralight bolt-actions. Could be the lower recoil, could be the ergonomics. I'm not certain.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. For hunting, if you *had* to put a number on it would you guess these are 300 yard builds? I always have some solution for front, and usually rear support in field.

Due to myriad factors, a definitive range is impossible to provide. I'm not a great shooter, so I try to stay within 300 yards on all my kills, but I have less concern of wounding a wolf or coyote than I do a deer or elk, so I may let one fly at longer range on those critters.

With my ultralight Kimber 6mm CM (4 pounds, 10 ounces w/ scope) and a solid rest, I'd feel comfortable shooting at 300. I'd say the same with my ultralight .223 bolt-action AR. However, with my 2.25-pound .300 BLK pistol, the comfort range is more like 125 yards! But again, a better shooter could maybe double my effective distances with the same equipment.

SLG

FNG
I am not a believer in LR hunting in anyway at all. That said, my ultralight rifles, from Kimber to NULA to Kifaru Rambling Rifles all allow me to shoot to my self imposed maximum range, 300 yards. I can't imagine that one of these is any less capable and I'm hoping to find out here pretty soon just need a barrel...

I am not a believer in LR hunting in anyway at all. That said, my ultralight rifles, from Kimber to NULA to Kifaru Rambling Rifles all allow me to shoot to my self imposed maximum range, 300 yards. I can't imagine that one of these is any less capable and I'm hoping to find out here pretty soon just need a barrel...
Wow, you own a Rambling Rifle? Please share pics. That was my dream rifle for so many years.