Ultra light hunting rifles

So this may start a forum war of objective opinions ;)..... but this is in the name of hunting and trying to get it right with the first shot. So I am in the market for a back country rifle that is lightweight and have been looking at the Weatherby Mark5 back country builds. Looking for other opinions to rival this weapons system or lighter (5.2lbs starting weight) Anyone have one of these rifles that can provide some insight before dropping the money ?

z987k

WKR
The only reason I've never went after one of those is the barrels are too long.

Mattman215

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of light rifles out there depending on your budget.
Could go full custom and everything in between.
Do you have a specific budget in mind? Also what kind of hunting long range, close range ? Deer, elk bear, all the above?

With that being said I know a guy at my local range who has one and it seems to shoot ok. For the money I was not overly impressed but it shot roughly 1 moa for a 2-3 shot string than it all fell apart.
Imo a custom rifle can be had for about 3700 if you shop around for parts on sale and it will be a .25moa rifle
Just my .02.

Last edited:
OP
Mechanical_Mercenary
Trying to stay away from the custom builds at this point... however, the mark 5 is $2600ish so that is in the realm. Species: Deer, elk, mulies, bear and I shoot distance so would be nice to have 800 to a grand....( I close the distance before taking a shot like that)

z987k

WKR
A lot of light rifles out there depending on your budget.
Could go full custom and everything in between.
Do you have a specific budget in mind? Also what kind of hunting long range, close range ? Deer, elk bear, all the above?

With that being said I know a guy at my local range who has one and it seems to shoot ok. For the money I was not overly impressed but it shot roughly 1 moa for a 2-3 shot string than it all fell apart.
Imo a custom rifle can be had for about 3700 if you shop around for parts on sale and it will be a .25moa rifle
Just my .02.
There's really not much in the 5 or sub 5lbs range. Lots in the 5.8-6.5, but that's not an ultra light rifle. Even the weatherby bc Ti only gets there in short action non magnums chamberings.

Mattman215

Lil-Rokslider
I would look at some fierce, CA, and Seekins however I am not sure Seekins drop below your requested weight.

I think the mark5 would be a 800 yard rifle on large steel all day. I don’t think you will win any prs matches with it or anything like that.

Some of my thoughts.

Fierce is a bit pricey, actions feel like crap but they seem to be accurate in my experience.

CA used to make quality now they struggle with quality control issues a big gamble if you get a shooter.

Seekins has been pretty good but they too are really growing and are having some quality issues and their customer service is very slow.

Kimber 84 mountain rifles I think fall below 5lbs. My buddy has one it is accurate, but…..he did have to take it to a gun smith for feeding issues and the barrel is so thin it’s basically a 1 maybe 2 shot rifle in succession and you have to wait 5-10 minutes for it to cool.

If your dead set on the weight I think they all will be about the same if your willing to go up a few more pounds it opens up a whole new world and imo a whole new level of accuracy. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

waspocrew

WKR
Seekins element or the new Seekins Havak slam (bit more spendy than your budget). Might not be exactly the weight you’re looking for, but close.

SloppyJ

WKR
Howa minis would fit the bill for a superlight rifle. Be careful though. lighter is not always better IMO. Shoot some positional stuff with a 5lb rifle and then shoot some with a 12lb rifle. I just added weights to my match gun to bump it over 20lbs after trying to run a match with a 9lb hunting rifle.

What's the reasoning that you need a 5lb rifle?

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Your post has drawn out a lot of suspect advice.

1) Let's not address the relative value of lightness in a rifle, I'll assume you understand the shootability trade-offs you'll be making, and feel the juice is worth the squeeze. These trade-offs come not only in the form of increased recoil but also in reduction of features (vertical grip, negative comb, flat toe, etc) which accrue to performance. I'll also assume you understand the importance of shooting smaller cartridges in such ultralight rifles.

2) Now assuming lightness is your only goal, and your rifle-only budget is $2600, the most shootable ultralight setup would be a $500 Howa Mini barreled action in 6 ARC placed in a $450 Stocky's VG carbon stock with $150 Jefferson Outdoor bottom metal. That'll keep you around 5 pounds and change once you throw on a rail and rings.

3) In the used market, NULAs and gen 1 Barrett Fieldcrafts are prized for a reason. Neither are made anymore in any configuration worth buying.

4) If you are willing to accept slightly more weight, a Tikka action in a carbon stock with a short threaded shorter barrel can be configured bare to well under 6 pounds before optics. Unlike the others, this will not be a functional compromise but merely a recoil energy compromise. Both this option and the Howa Mini option will leave you with a spare grand and change to spend on optics, suppression, and
ammo (which are arguably more important).

Best,
-J
tempImageuNVTvd.jpg

IMG_0853.jpeg

Your post has drawn out a lot of suspect advice.

1) Let's not address the relative value of lightness in a rifle, I'll assume you understand the shootability trade-offs you'll be making, and feel the juice is worth the squeeze. These trade-offs come not only in the form of increased recoil but also in reduction of features (vertical grip, negative comb, flat toe, etc) which accrue to performance. I'll also assume you understand the importance of shooting smaller cartridges in such ultralight rifles.

2) Now assuming lightness is your only goal, and your rifle-only budget is $2600, the most shootable ultralight setup would be a $500 Howa Mini barreled action in 6 ARC placed in a $450 Stocky's VG carbon stock with $150 Jefferson Outdoor bottom metal. That'll keep you around 5 pounds and change once you throw on a rail and rings.

3) In the used market, NULAs and gen 1 Barrett Fieldcrafts are prized for a reason. Neither are made anymore in any configuration worth buying.

4) If you are willing to accept slightly more weight, a Tikka action in a carbon stock with a short threaded shorter barrel can be configured bare to well under 6 pounds before optics. Unlike the others, this will not be a functional compromise but merely a recoil energy compromise. Both this option and the Howa Mini option will leave you with a spare grand and change to spend on optics, suppression, and
ammo (which are arguably more important).

Best,
-J
View attachment 750367

View attachment 750365

Some great advice there. I’m stuck between a how’s mini in 6ARC or going the tikka 223 route and threading it for suppressor. I just can’t push the ultra heavy 80/88eldm very well in a 20” 223 to be able to keep velocity above 1800 at say 600-700 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Guide

WKR
Some great advice there. I’m stuck between a how’s mini in 6ARC or going the tikka 223 route and threading it for suppressor. I just can’t push the ultra heavy 80/88eldm very well in a 20” 223 to be able to keep velocity above 1800 at say 600-700 yards

You would be pushing on it pretty hard to get those numbers with those bullets in a 223. You can get 1800 @ 600 yards with the 6 ARC (I have a 22" barrel) and factory ammo (depending on lot numbers as I've had some lots varying up to 100 fps) so I'm sure you could get it with handloads. My latest lot of 103 PH ammo is 2614 fps and I bought a whole case on sale. I'll have to shoot it all up and then handload some with a little more velocity but 1800 to 500 yard will work well for a light compact carry rifle.

Jay

You would be pushing on it pretty hard to get those numbers with those bullets in a 223. You can get 1800 @ 600 yards with the 6 ARC (I have a 22" barrel) and factory ammo (depending on lot numbers as I've had some lots varying up to 100 fps) so I'm sure you could get it with handloads. My latest lot of 103 PH ammo is 2614 fps and I bought a whole case on sale. I'll have to shoot it all up and then handload some with a little more velocity but 1800 to 500 yard will work well for a light compact carry rifle.

Jay

That’s exactly why I haven’t decided yet lol

The 22ARC with 88ELDMs is very interesting. But only non customer rifle I’ve seen that chambered in is the ruger american gen 2. Trigger would likely need to be replaced but the rifle can be found sub $500

22ARC holds 2000 fps with 88 eldm out to 600 yards (assuming 2720 fps leaving the barrel because shorter than 24” barrel) and 1800 out to 800 yards. Wind drift comparable to my 6.5cm at 500 yards

You can get 75gr ELDs to be at 1800 at 600 yards. My current load I believe is doing 2740fps with 25gr Varget loaded 2.42 in my 16" Tikka

You can get 75gr ELDs to be at 1800 at 600 yards. My current load I believe is doing 2740fps with 25gr Varget loaded 2.42 in my 16" Tikka

Thanks for the info, I may go this route now with a tikka 223 cut to 18”. I believe those 75 ELDMs are good for hunting if I remember correctly what form said about the 73/75

I have a Weatherby Mk5 Outfitter in .30-06. Very light as advertised and shoots sub-moa with any premium ammo.

However, my wife has Tikka Superlite in 6.5 Creedmoor that is close in weight (a few ounces heavier), is just as accurate, and was half the cost of my Weatherby.

Reactions: NSI