Ultimate dedicated hunting rig?

WRO

WKR
Yeah, they are terrible.
Fair enough.

They're fun, I haven't seen a hunting application yet that I do that I wouldn't rather have my truck than a side by side.

We've got one on the ranch I guide on and it's damn cold in the morning.

I've taken them on a couple hunts, they just tend to end up staying in Camp. We use little 4 wheelers much more often..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ok ok,
I think you need to further define the question.
By dedicated do you mean in the woods only?
How long are your trips?
Most everyone so far seems to assume woods only cause u are not fitting 3 weeks worth of gear for 2 people in a bobbed yota or samurai.
Ohh and they drive like shit on the road.
So you you doing day trips and hr from your house.
Or 30 multiple state trips?
I lean towards something that can do the long trips with people people and still drive good on the road.
If truly no budget I'd say a 4x4 Sprinter/sportsmobile, but you would have to tow a fully enclosed SXS heater, tracks etc
Or a full size that you just dont care about the paint, a 7.3 Excursion with a 6 speed manual swap.

If I could get even close to my money back out of my Toyota I'd ditch it.

Ratbeetle

WKR
my friend bought a new one a few years ago, it was a manual, and I was impressed with how nice it was... drove good and comfortable. I think what causes people to shy away is resale value. if you keep rigs for a long time, I see no downside.... if you can't stay in the same pickup more than 5 yrs, a rig with good resale is a good idea.

I have put 46k on my 2018 taco TRD and I paid 38K.... as it sits, it's still worth almost 30k... for a vehicle, which in general are poor investments, that's impressive to me. it's worth well over what i owe on it still.

Very true and Nissan can't touch Toyota on resale. This is my second Frontier and since they haven't changed much in a decade, lol, I know what I'm in for. I'll hold this one for a long time so I'm not quite as concerned about the resale, but it is certainly something to consider.

Ultimately buying a vehicle right, thousands in dealer discounts right now plus 0% on top of that, can make up a large portion of that resale value hit.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
Really tough to beat a 4runner with either the 22re or 3.4. You can haul more than one person, sleep in the back if you're 6' or less, and they seem to be a little bit cheaper than the pick ups or tacomas. Theres's plenty of aftermarket parts for both and the 22re is especially easy to work on. They also go down the road pretty well and you really don't have to mod them to get just about anywhere I'd want to take any vehicle.

Fair enough.

They're fun, I haven't seen a hunting application yet that I do that I wouldn't rather have my truck than a side by side.

We've got one on the ranch I guide on and it's damn cold in the morning.

I've taken them on a couple hunts, they just tend to end up staying in Camp. We use little 4 wheelers much more often..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yeah, 2 different styles of hunting I'd assume. My pickup barely leaves pavement anymore. Load up the S×S, head in an hour or more on dirt roads, park the side by side and pack in. SxS is my base camp. It's funny when you realize, camping remotely for 5 days, you can carry everything on your back. For some reason, when you can get a pickup to your spot, people tend to bring half the damn house with them.

The days of beating the blood out of my kidneys in my pickup are all, but over.

Mosby

WKR
you are liking it? don't know anyone with one, kinda going in blind

I do. It fits on the small trails and has been great off road. It is large enough to fit my hunting equipment in and I sometimes tow a 5x8 trailer with it without issue. I used the front locking differential this year a bit and it saved my butt to get off a mountain. It's a long story but I would have been in trouble with my old Suburban.

It is my first diesel. You get better mileage than the gas but pay more at the pump. It's a wash. I choose it over gas because I plan on keeping it for 10-15 years and I normally put on over 200,000 miles in that timeframe plus towing. I never got that out of prior vehicles with small 6 cyllnder engines so I went with the diesel. I am betting on the diesel lasting longer. If I got a new truck every few years, I would probably just get the gas.

I haven't found a better vehicle for me and the way I travel and hunt. I have gotten more compliments and questions from strangers about it than any vehicle I have ever owned. The dealer I bought it from has called me twice offering to buy it back in the past few weeks. I haven't found a reason to make a change and would buy same truck again if I had too.

brsnow

WKR
I have had numerous Toyota Tacoma’s and first generation before they had a name, all go where I need to go.

slick

WKR
I had an 09 Tundra with a 4.6L. Had a lift and 34s on it. Rallied through Utah and Arizona canyon country up and through MT and the Dakotas. Wasn’t so large, and didn’t mind dinging it up a bit. Slept in the back a pile of nights. Worked for me, but some of these other options will work better^

A bit off topic but I feel like this question will get seen more.. I just got a new to me 2014 Silverado LTZ crew cab and 6’7” bed. Anyone have recommendations on a lift for it? Cognito worth a damn? Looking for 2-4 max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
another great option but nearly impossible to find is an early 2000's chevy s-10 zr2 in a standard cab, those are sweet little woods beaters, and that 4.3L vortec is a peppy motor.... rarely ever see them in standard cab though

I can’t remember exactly what model but my buddy has an s-10. We rally the piss out of that thing and it keeps going.

My ultimate hunting rig would be the Chevy K5 Blazer. It was super capable off road completely stock. I would add a 4” lift and 35” tires, winch bumper with winch, the roof could be taken off and would add a soft topper. Move the spare to a rear carrier.

I used to take the rear seats out and use as a couch by the campfire and the floor was flat so you could sleep inside if need be.

87TT

WKR
either a Suzuki samurai (locked, lifted of 32-33" rubber with a diesel swap) or an early 90's Toyota standard cab with lockers) or a gen1 or 2 standard cab taco on 33's and locked front and back.

if I had the dough for a build, it would be the samurai... I think one built right is the ultimate hunting rig, but a standard cab Toyota pickup would be nicer to drive to and from the hunting spots.

i'm probably selling my 18' taco trd soon, and I go back and forth from just getting a Colorado zr2, or getting a tundra and a standard cab 90's Toyota pickup for the woods. I had an 08' tundra for awhile, and loved driving it, but it was just too big in the woods.

if I do get another tundra I will be shopping for a 90's standard cab, but will not rule out a samurai, they are just hard to find nice and turn key, and I think it would get up there in cost if I bought a stock one and built it

Just a little (4") lift, 235's, safari rack, 8000# winch, Hi-lift jack, rock sliders. lower geared T-case. Goes where ever I want.
IMG_3802.JPG

Panfish1

FNG
Looks like the "Idaho Boys" got it dialed in!
Sweet rigs.
Me 2019 Power Wagon with 37" and carli suspension king pin top 3" lift...but it a big / heavy rig for the woods. When the 37" are chained up and you get her stuck in the mud...it's a bad day! Not that I did that before...
;)