Ultimate dedicated hunting rig?

Squamch

WKR
This is close to the 2nd gen I built and then parted out for a 1st gen build.

Well don't just stand there man, post some pictures! Or a link to a build thread on pirate. Either one. I have a second gen regular cab and a 92 runner now. I like how much more space you get in a 3rd gen xtra cab, compared to a second gen. Dad had an 85 xtra cab 22re truck when I was a kid, with a piece of plywood and a junkyard seatbelt on one side in the back for me to stay safe...as a grown man I looked in the back of one I had to fix and flip...there's not enough room for a warm jacket back there!!

Only negative to the Raptor is the wheelbase width. They are wider than a lot of the roads I want to go on.

If it could go faster than 45 mph, my 1960 Willys is perfect, but it needs a tow to get there.

Jeremy
agreed... I was gonna hold onto my taco until the ranger raptor came out, until I saw they widened them like the raptor.... defeats the purpose to me. I would have had a raptor by now if they weren't so dang wide.... my tundra was too wide, and the raptor is a lot more so.

now i'm back to wanting a Colorado ZR2, they are perfect for me.... never been a chevy guy, but I have also never been brand loyal with rigs. i'm 90% sure i'll be driving a zr2 within a couple months.

I like everything about the raptor besides the width... the zr2 is like a mini raptor with no added width..... diesel or gas is the question now

colersu22

WKR
Well don't just stand there man, post some pictures! Or a link to a build thread on pirate. Either one. I have a second gen regular cab and a 92 runner now. I like how much more space you get in a 3rd gen xtra cab, compared to a second gen. Dad had an 85 xtra cab 22re truck when I was a kid, with a piece of plywood and a junkyard seatbelt on one side in the back for me to stay safe...as a grown man I looked in the back of one I had to fix and flip...there's not enough room for a warm jacket back there!!

Posted the few pics I still have of the 1st gen but don’t have any of the 87 but it was an extended cab, doved nose with a SB350/turbo 350/203/205 dual case set up with rears up front and 63’s in the rear on 42”tsl’s. Dana 60 up front and a 14ff with discs in the rear. I never even drove it out of the garage before I started parting it out to build the 1at gen.

I want to build another toy off a 3rd gen extra cab and not go so extreme this time so I don’t have to trailer it.

Squamch

WKR
Posted the few pics I still have of the 1st gen but don’t have any of the 87 but it was an extended cab, doved nose with a SB350/turbo 350/203/205 dual case set up with rears up front and 63’s in the rear on 42”tsl’s. Dana 60 up front and a 14ff with discs in the rear. I never even drove it out of the garage before I started parting it out to build the 1at gen.

I want to build another toy off a 3rd gen extra cab and not go so extreme this time so I don’t have to trailer it.

Not so extreme so I didn't have to trailer it was my plan too. Riiiiight up until I rolled in. Twice. About 18 hours after finishing the cage. I kept plates on it, but it got really trailer-y, really fast.

All you guys looking at Colorado's, check out how their frames are bending. The design has a massive hole where it necks down behind the cab.

Mosby

WKR
agreed... I was gonna hold onto my taco until the ranger raptor came out, until I saw they widened them like the raptor.... defeats the purpose to me. I would have had a raptor by now if they weren't so dang wide.... my tundra was too wide, and the raptor is a lot more so.

now i'm back to wanting a Colorado ZR2, they are perfect for me.... never been a chevy guy, but I have also never been brand loyal with rigs. i'm 90% sure i'll be driving a zr2 within a couple months.

I like everything about the raptor besides the width... the zr2 is like a mini raptor with no added width..... diesel or gas is the question now
I got the ZR2 with the diesel. I went with the diesel for longevity. I normally put a lot of miles on my vehicles. I looked at the Raptor and some others but did not want a huge, wide rig. I was replacing a 2001 Suburban and I definitely wanted something smaller. The ZR2 is about perfect for me.

Dinger

WKR
My ultimate hunting rig. I've post these pictures previously.

It has LR water ( 32gal) and fuel (43gal), 110lt 12v fridge solar & deep cycle batteries a Isuzu 4lt mech TD and truck gear, bull bar, custom dash and interior, full custom wiring harness (much simplified over stock), winch, rear air bags etc etc etc.
View attachment 85652

Pretty much current day. Still a few projects to finish on it but it does everything and more I need right now.

View attachment 85653

I got the ZR2 with the diesel. I went with the diesel for longevity. I normally put a lot of miles on my vehicles. I looked at the Raptor and some others but did not want a huge, wide rig. I was replacing a 2001 Suburban and I definitely wanted something smaller. The ZR2 is about perfect for me.
you are liking it? don't know anyone with one, kinda going in blind

WRO

WKR
3.4s are just as bad on headgaskets as 3.0s, just taco fanboys don't like to talk about it.
I've had 400k of 3.4 miles with no head gasket issues. There 96 and 97 were the problem children.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
LineandBuck

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
No AC, no Heat, dusty, loud..

Oh yeah and they're more than a used taco..

And unless you live in AZ or another free state where you can street legal them you have to stay on the trail..

WRO

WKR
And unless you live in AZ or another free state where you can street legal them you have to stay on the trail..

A sxs typically involves a trailer which is more ag, not to even of they're street legal, they still can't hold enough stuff for a 5 day hunt typically..

Wapiti1

WKR

I've heard good things about their diesel. That would be my choice without thinking about it.

Jeremy

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I've had 400k of 3.4 miles with no head gasket issues. There 96 and 97 were the problem children.

I wonder if that's just a tacoma problem? My brothers 96' t100 is about to turn 300k and my 97' 4runner is at about 240K, we've both had zero issues with the 3.4.

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
a Helux or a Landcruiser would be great,but until thensunrise 7 17 014.JPG356k on my 2nd Toyota.1st one,82' I had 565k on it when I sold it. Got the F-150 offroad Lariat 4x4 a few years ago as backup and modified the tacoma lumber rack & added a atv winch for wood & elk,it's at 135k now

Attachments

• late OctNov 137.JPG
    late OctNov 137.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 2001 Lartiat 4x4 002.JPG
    2001 Lartiat 4x4 002.JPG
    313.5 KB · Views: 63
View attachment 176724

A Toyota Land Cruiser Troop Carrier camper conversion is what I would buy if money were no option! For me and the way I hunt this would definitely be the ultimate hunting rig!
that has crazy potential.

if I was single, I would live in an earth roamer.... have a couple boats and a standard cab taco to tow behind it depending on what i'm doing, would have a little chunk of property in the woods with a big shop and necessities.... ultimate bachelor setup

Ratbeetle

WKR
I was tired of having a dedicated hunting vehicle. Insurance, maintenance, storage, etc. for a third vehicle that saw limited use got old. Not to mention a 20 year old jeep isn't the most comfortable for the 2-3 hours on the highway just to get to the offroad spots.

I just consolidated some vehicles and picked up a new 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x. Was looking hard at a Tacoma or ZR2 but neither brand wanted to make any deals. Yeah the Frontier is a bit dated but it's proven and I was able to get the fully loaded model for thousands less than any of the other brands.

On paper all three have very similar specs and capabilities, so I couldn't justify the $10k higher price tag of the others. If a guy isn't hung up on the latest and greatest tech, I think the Frontier is a great value right now. Looking forward to getting it out on the trail this summer.

I was tired of having a dedicated hunting vehicle. Insurance, maintenance, storage, etc. for a third vehicle that saw limited use got old. Not to mention a 20 year old jeep isn't the most comfortable for the 2-3 hours on the highway just to get to the offroad spots.

I just consolidated some vehicles and picked up a new 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x. Was looking hard at a Tacoma or ZR2 but neither brand wanted to make any deals. Yeah the Frontier is a bit dated but it's proven and I was able to get the fully loaded model for thousands less than any of the other brands.

On paper all three have very similar specs and capabilities, so I couldn't justify the $10k higher price tag of the others. If a guy isn't hung up on the latest and greatest tech, I think the Frontier is a great value right now. Looking forward to getting it out on the trail this summer.
my friend bought a new one a few years ago, it was a manual, and I was impressed with how nice it was... drove good and comfortable. I think what causes people to shy away is resale value. if you keep rigs for a long time, I see no downside.... if you can't stay in the same pickup more than 5 yrs, a rig with good resale is a good idea.

I have put 46k on my 2018 taco TRD and I paid 38K.... as it sits, it's still worth almost 30k... for a vehicle, which in general are poor investments, that's impressive to me. it's worth well over what i owe on it still.