Ultimate dedicated hunting rig?

22lr

WKR
Toyota Hilux diesel, standard transmission, red, crew cab with a camper shell, moderately lifted, slightly larger than factory BFG tires, bumpers with a winch but no major mods.

I drove one up in Greenland for a year, did some pretty major off-roading in it and it was an absolute beast of a truck! We ran jet fuel in em since it was so hard to get diesel up there, absolutely bomb proof trucks. Hardly anything electronic on it besides the radio. Definitely not built for the creature comforts, but built to be driven hard and put away wet (forded quite a few glacier streams in it). The one I drove had 120K KM on it, and was 6 years old, but still ran like a champ. Looking at the rest of the fleet of trucks, seems like we got an average of 10ish years out of em up there, but they had some that were pushing 20+. Quite impressive considering the average winter temps was a pretty steady -30 for a solid 4 months out of the year. Frequent drops down below -45 and into the -65 during a good storm.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I love land cruisers and something you could drop some sort of camper on the back would be awesome. Quick google search gave me something close. Not my photo

Attachments

• 1BBEE286-D4C4-4B47-8F43-2BA385CFFF88.jpeg
    1BBEE286-D4C4-4B47-8F43-2BA385CFFF88.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 236

Squamch

WKR
3rd gen toyota xtra cab, tons and 40s, 118" WB, linked on factory coils, 5.3 LS, unsure about trans, 3 speed atlas case. Bed would be double bobbed of course, with a matching canopy. I'd build bumpers and fender bars from DOM, 2x4 .188 wall for sliders. Hot rodded 8274 up front, m10000 under the back. Wire rope in both, no winch rope for a truck that gets used. Build it with the flattest belly possible.
It would fit places here, and have the jam for the mud up north. Of course, as soon as I finished it, I would realize where I'd gone wrong, and start building a new one.

Brendan

WKR
I'd go tricked out 4wd Sprinter or Transit that I could sleep in, and haul an ATV in the back or on a trailer when I need off-road capability. Set it up so I could sleep, cook, and a small convertible desk that I could make work as a "Working Remotely" office where I could park near good hunting and/or fishing.

Fitzwho

WKR
The 70 Series that Goatie posted would be a pretty solid choice. Do yourself a favor and look up Patriot Campers out of Australia. One of their Super Tourer's dragging their TH610 toy hauler loaded down with four wheelers and a little boat... Not sure it could get better than that.

I wouldn't mind putting about $40k into my FJ60 Land Cruiser and perking it up with a 12V Cummins, NV5660 6spd manual, Atlas T-Case, Dynatrac Pro axles, and custom 4 link suspension.

WRO

WKR
I'm building mine right now..

It's getting closer.
b40ccb0106d20a3dd992298a483dbaa6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

either a Suzuki samurai (locked, lifted of 32-33" rubber with a diesel swap) or an early 90's Toyota standard cab with lockers) or a gen1 or 2 standard cab taco on 33's and locked front and back.

if I had the dough for a build, it would be the samurai... I think one built right is the ultimate hunting rig, but a standard cab Toyota pickup would be nicer to drive to and from the hunting spots.

i'm probably selling my 18' taco trd soon, and I go back and forth from just getting a Colorado zr2, or getting a tundra and a standard cab 90's Toyota pickup for the woods. I had an 08' tundra for awhile, and loved driving it, but it was just too big in the woods.

if I do get another tundra I will be shopping for a 90's standard cab, but will not rule out a samurai, they are just hard to find nice and turn key, and I think it would get up there in cost if I bought a stock one and built it

tdot

WKR
Sprinter 4x4, aftermarket suspension and a very mild camperization. I have a 1 ton Sprinter that isnt a 4x4, and it's got almost 300,000km on it, many thousands on dirt roads. I've only gotten it stuck once, but a 4x4 would make life a little less but puckering. Also would have it wrapped. The factory paint is super weak. Doesnt hold up to branches very well. I'd add a portable 10,000lb Warn winch with Dyneema cable and attachments on front and back. Add a big flat roof rack, something to sit and use the optics from, 15' off the ground. Room for an ATV if necessary, but would more then likely stick an ebike back there with enough battery for 100km.

Oh ya. And a stainless steel shower module with a chiller unit attached. Hang the animals inside it and have it aging, while I'm driving.

another great option but nearly impossible to find is an early 2000's chevy s-10 zr2 in a standard cab, those are sweet little woods beaters, and that 4.3L vortec is a peppy motor.... rarely ever see them in standard cab though

WRO

WKR
either a Suzuki samurai (locked, lifted of 32-33" rubber with a diesel swap) or an early 90's Toyota standard cab with lockers) or a gen1 or 2 standard cab taco on 33's and locked front and back.

if I had the dough for a build, it would be the samurai... I think one built right is the ultimate hunting rig, but a standard cab Toyota pickup would be nicer to drive to and from the hunting spots.

i'm probably selling my 18' taco trd soon, and I go back and forth from just getting a Colorado zr2, or getting a tundra and a standard cab 90's Toyota pickup for the woods. I had an 08' tundra for awhile, and loved driving it, but it was just too big in the woods.

if I do get another tundra I will be shopping for a 90's standard cab, but will not rule out a samurai, they are just hard to find nice and turn key, and I think it would get up there in cost if I bought a stock one and built it

I've had a couple buddies with Samauri's, they're suck to ride in on the road.. Get an early 90's toyota, do a 3.4 swap, and lock it with 33's or a gen 1 tacoma..

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
The coolest thing I've ever seen is a Suzuki Samari soft top with an R-7 rotary engine in it with about 6" of lift and 31" Super Swampers.

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
another great option but nearly impossible to find is an early 2000's chevy s-10 zr2 in a standard cab, those are sweet little woods beaters, and that 4.3L vortec is a peppy motor.... rarely ever see them in standard cab though
A guy I used to work with inhereted one of those with under 1,000 miles on it. It blew me away how quick it was.

I've had a couple buddies with Samauri's, they're suck to ride in on the road.. Get an early 90's toyota, do a 3.4 swap, and lock it with 33's or a gen 1 tacoma..
haha, yes, they do suck on the road, and beat you up offroad, but they will go anywhere. I agree on the yota, hard to beat when you factor in everything.

a Jeep is another obvious option, but they suck to drive too.... I always wanted one, then got one, and I literally had that rig under 10 days.... one trip down south and I was over it. I had a buddy with me one day driving on gravel and a pot hole almost knocked him out.... slammed his head on the roll bar. i'm sure they're better now, but i'll never know