Ultimate dedicated hunting rig?

Wrench

WKR
Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series. 35's, winch bumper, 3 inch lift. Go anywhere, sleep in it, tow with it and get it all back home.
I have one, triple locked. Its great other than barely breaking into the 10's for mileage. I'd go diesel if spending someone else's money.

rayporter

WKR
my idea runs counter to most. i am thinking ambulance size permanently attached 8x10. an espar heater a good roof rack and maybe a 2 ft porch to store coolers, genny, ect. on. at the least have a strong hitch hauler with 2 receivers holding it so it will haul a small freezer or all the coolers you can stack on it.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my plain Jane 2012 Tacoma w/ slightly oversized tires, a soft topper and soon to be adding a few skid plates; has done me well for the last 8 years; as it only has 66k on it, probably good for a few more.

my old rig did OK, just a little small

S8s4Aj9.jpg

Squamch

WKR
Ok ok,
I think you need to further define the question.
By dedicated do you mean in the woods only?
How long are your trips?
Most everyone so far seems to assume woods only cause u are not fitting 3 weeks worth of gear for 2 people in a bobbed yota or samurai.
Ohh and they drive like shit on the road.
So you you doing day trips and hr from your house.
Or 30 multiple state trips?
I lean towards something that can do the long trips with people people and still drive good on the road.
If truly no budget I'd say a 4x4 Sprinter/sportsmobile, but you would have to tow a fully enclosed SXS heater, tracks etc
Or a full size that you just dont care about the paint, a 7.3 Excursion with a 6 speed manual swap.

If I could get even close to my money back out of my Toyota I'd ditch it.

A samurai is a trailer, put all your gear in it and tow it to where you park, then wheel in.

I don't understand the guys who say Toyota and samurais drive like shit. They don't stock, and if you modify them and don't do hack work...they still don't. Sure they're not race cars, but they're not supposed to be. I have no problem driving my Toyota all day. My SAS'd one on 36s actually rode even better than my stock IFS one I had at the same time.

I daily a super duty f350, but it doesn't fit on probably 75% of the roads I want to drive off the mainline when I'm hunting. More lift wouldn't help, a chainsaw is the only way I'm gonna change that! In fact, I've been told by quad guys that my 4runner doesn't fit where I was going either!

Folks choices really say a lot about where they live.

A samurai is a trailer, put all your gear in it and tow it to where you park, then wheel in.

I don't understand the guys who say Toyota and samurais drive like shit. They don't stock, and if you modify them and don't do hack work...they still don't. Sure they're not race cars, but they're not supposed to be. I have no problem driving my Toyota all day. My SAS'd one on 36s actually rode even better than my stock IFS one I had at the same time.

I daily a super duty f350, but it doesn't fit on probably 75% of the roads I want to drive off the mainline when I'm hunting. More lift wouldn't help, a chainsaw is the only way I'm gonna change that! In fact, I've been told by quad guys that my 4runner doesn't fit where I was going either!

Folks choices really say a lot about where they live.

Have you ever driven said Toyota say 13hrs straight to another state?
Comparing that to a newer stockish truck.
I'm sure it drives significantly worse.
I'm talking cross country highway travel.
Not just bombing up to the closest national forest for a weekend.
Trust me my Yota has some of the nicest, suspension swap stuff there is and is not a hack job. And it sure doesn't drive or corner as well as my stock 05 tundra.

EastMT

WKR
Land Rover 130 all dolled up for me. Tacoma’s are too small on the inside for me. I need leg and head room.

Attachments

• 948481C6-47CF-4B8E-A57B-086988D816B3.jpeg
    948481C6-47CF-4B8E-A57B-086988D816B3.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 85

Squamch

WKR
Have you ever driven said Toyota say 13hrs straight to another state?
Comparing that to a newer stockish truck.
I'm sure it drives significantly worse.
I'm talking cross country highway travel.
Not just bombing up to the closest national forest for a weekend.
Trust me my Yota has some of the nicest, suspension swap stuff there is and is not a hack job. And it sure doesn't drive or corner as well as my stock 05 tundra.

No, I hunt in my province. I drove an 82 toyota from Toronto to Victoria so I have some experience driving long distances in a Toyota. Yeah newer trucks are nicer. That's obvious, but I've never been in a well built and/or maintained Toyota and thought "this thing sucks to drive!" Again though, I don't expect a truck to be a race car, I've definitely thought "man I wish I had twice this much power!" :ROFLMAO: Maybe I just don't have as high of standards as you when it comes to automobiles.

No, I hunt in my province. I drove an 82 toyota from Toronto to Victoria so I have some experience driving long distances in a Toyota. Yeah newer trucks are nicer. That's obvious, but I've never been in a well built and/or maintained Toyota and thought "this thing sucks to drive!" Again though, I don't expect a truck to be a race car, I've definitely thought "man I wish I had twice this much power!" :ROFLMAO: Maybe I just don't have as high of standards as you when it comes to automobiles.

Haha you're probably early 20s as well?
My yota drives pretty good, my point was if it really needs to do everything, and I guess everything is different to other people is it needs to hold 3 weeks worth of gear and drive 5000 miles in 21 days across multiple states and maybe even tow a quad or 2.
I'd say my Yota is pretty nice, but u can't expect to jump from a newer truck or commuter car into a SAS and think you're just gonna be sipping coffee all willy Billy.
You gotta drive them a little more.

The overwhelming Toyota love on top of my own experiences with them lead me to take advantage of the last day of 0% financing... Thanks for the input guys!
View attachment 178497
congrats!!! they are the best driving tacos with the most power, best fuel mileage, and smoothest ride.... I have had every generation of TRD offroads, and the current is better in every regard, besides how they route the exhaust....