UL fuel efficient cook system

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I have CF and aluminum lids that both fit (not a snug fit), but the aluminum is half the wt. so I went with it.
3472912ee32f4905d9ba5e43bb44ddcb.jpg

378097ef24d6c5acc98a0b7939570797.jpg

744a641b2fbcca9ab890a29d6eada2e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve done a lot of these UL mods but typically just bring my first gen JB burner and the UL stuff as a complete backup. Have you looked into a Ti/Flint “sparker” rather than the light? Would definitely save some weight over the mini Bic. I can dig mine out if you would like a pic.

BBob

WKR
Have you looked into a Ti/Flint “sparker” rather than the light?
I have one of those SOL Fire Lite Micro Sparker's. It works and I'm not sure why I don't use it but I carry a couple of Bic's. One Bic in the catch all pouch and one with the stove. Old habit? The sparker is in my camp kitchen crate in the truck.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Great thread! Thanks to all that contributed. I have always thought my JB Flash kit was a bit on the heavy side but dealt with it because it's convenient.

So the general consensus is that a FM G3 Petrel, JB MicroMo cozy, and BRS 3000-T with a little leg bend adjustment is a pretty solid combo? I wouldn't mind an extra oz or 2 for a decent rubber type lid like the Flash has, anyone find anything similar that works with the Petrel?

MicroMo lid fits the Petrel and the handle still folds over the top as extra security to keep it together. Not that much weight savings over the Petrel lid but there is some.

MicroMo lid fits the Petrel and the handle still folds over the top as extra security to keep it together. Not that much weight savings over the Petrel lid but there is some.

Does the MicroMo lid actually clip onto the petrel so that it works without the handle, or is it not real snug? I have a MicroMo and have tried the lid on the petrel and it wasn't secure, but its really not secure on my micromo either.

I've read its a common complaint with some of the micromo lids, and if you order a flash (?) replacement lid, it fits the micromo much better.. curious if it would fit the petrel better as well.

Basically, I'm curious if my micromo lid doesn't work great on my petrel because the lid itself sucks, or if it never works real great.

OP
AK Troutbum
I’ve done a lot of these UL mods but typically just bring my first gen JB burner and the UL stuff as a complete backup. Have you looked into a Ti/Flint “sparker” rather than the light? Would definitely save some weight over the mini Bic. I can dig mine out if you would like a pic.
No, I never really thought about something to replace the lighter. If it's not too much trouble, I'd definitely like to see a pic. Also, do you know the wt? I think my only concern would be turning the gas on and possibly not being able to get it lit quickly enough and end up wasting fuel in the process.

BBob

WKR
I can’t imagine there’s much difference in weight between a mini Bic and the SOL sparker. If I remember I’ll pull them out later tonight or over the weekend to see.

But wait! This guy says lighter than the mini Bic
IMG_3999.jpeg

IMG_4007.jpegIMG_4006.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
AK Troutbum
I can’t imagine there’s much difference in weight between a mini Bic and the SOL sparker. If I remember I’ll pull them out later tonight or over the weekend to see.

But wait! This guy says lighter than the mini Bic
View attachment 751304

Oh, it looks like it can be deployed with one hand, I didn't realize that. So, maybe a none issue regarding fuel wastage?

The Sterno is aluminum. The similar but discontinued Ti pot was the JetBoil Sol Ti.

I see. The Sterno pot is over 4 in wide and my flash pot is only 3.75 in wide. My old flash pots bottom is starting to detach from the main pot. If both pots are aluminum, then the differences of my pot will definitely contribute to it being less efficient

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
No, I never really thought about something to replace the lighter. If it's not too much trouble, I'd definitely like to see a pic. Also, do you know the wt? I think my only concern would be turning the gas on and possibly not being able to get it lit quickly enough and end up wasting fuel in the process.

Glad to oblige. I’ve got stuff out for moose hunting next month so it was a quick grab:

Once I looked at it I remembered it is this:

Vargo Titanium Flint

It weighs 9 grams and throws a nice shower of sparks. You won’t waste any gas as it is a one hand operation. Turn the gas on with the other.

Here are a couple pics:

IMG_1711.jpeg

IMG_1712.jpeg

IMG_1713.jpeg

Does the MicroMo lid actually clip onto the petrel so that it works without the handle, or is it not real snug? I have a MicroMo and have tried the lid on the petrel and it wasn't secure, but its really not secure on my micromo either.

I've read its a common complaint with some of the micromo lids, and if you order a flash (?) replacement lid, it fits the micromo much better.. curious if it would fit the petrel better as well.

Basically, I'm curious if my micromo lid doesn't work great on my petrel because the lid itself sucks, or if it never works real great.

Yeah it does. Here is a picture with fuel canister and fuel canister legs inside and stove upside down so lid is holding them in.
IMG_4107.jpeg

It’s a very tight fit with PR Delux stove inside as well and the lid doesn’t hold more than a second or two.
My pot came with a real lightweight mesh bag so I keep it in that with my spoon and food hanging rope. If the lid does pop off everything is still contained

CB4

WKR
Liked finding this! I cut down my JB Flash pot, cut off the bottom metal section that secures the burner to it, cut down the sleeve then bought a BRS burner. It took almost 12oz off my cooking system. It still only took 1:36 to boil water from room temp!

I tested out a new stove this summer on a backpacking trip.
Soto Windmaster stove with the tri-flex pot support
Fire maple pot G3 pot

No tweaking or screwing around with a old jetboil. Right at 16oz with a full 100g can and it has an igniter built in. I used it 2x a day to boil water for a Peak meal and oatmeal in the morning for a 4.5 day trip and had fuel left. This was all at 8-10000ft and I even drag raced a buddies jetboil at 9500ft and won boiling 16oz of water in under 2 min.

Liked finding this! I cut down my JB Flash pot, cut off the bottom metal section that secures the burner to it, cut down the sleeve then bought a BRS burner. It took almost 12oz off my cooking system. It still only took 1:36 to boil water from room temp!
You cut the shroud off that surrounds the heat exchanger fins?

CB4

WKR
You cut the shroud off that surrounds the heat exchanger fins?
I sure did. It just makes the original burner useless now. It offered very little to no benefit of blocking wind. I figured if I am going to butcher it I might as well go all out.