Trying to decide on the viper HS 2.5-10 (which is 300$) or the leupold VX-HD 3.5-10 (which is 400$)

Im trying to decide on the above choices i have 2 viper scopes i really like, though ive heard very good things about leupold and like that they’re made in the usa and how lightweight they are, But i have zero experience with leupold. I plan to put the scope on either my ruger hawkeye 30-06 or my savage 111 25-06. Im not really shooting past 550 yards or so

Most replies here will be someone doing everything they can to convince you that vortex and Leopold scopes are trash, just FYI if you have never looked on another scope thread...

Personally my 2 VX3's have done me pretty good and vortex I've had in the past did just fine. I prefer Leopold cause I think glass is better.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

I agree with the post above, the glass in the vx3 seems better to me. The 2.5-8 is one of my favorite scopes.

That 2.5-10 viper is a sweet spot though, especially if you want the extra adjustment in that 30m tube. Where’d you find one for that price?

Im trying to decide on the above choices i have 2 viper scopes i really like, though ive heard very good things about leupold and like that they’re made in the usa and how lightweight they are, But i have zero experience with leupold. I plan to put the scope on either my ruger hawkeye 30-06 or my savage 111 25-06. Im not really shooting past 550 yards or so
There are lots of Leupolds and Vortex out there. So based on sheer numbers, there will always be people who say theirs work until they don’t. And they are totally correct. But people have a tendency to get attached to brands and get butthurt when others report bad things on the equipment they just spent their hard earned money on.

My experiences with both brands have been that most will not regularly hold zero from the vibration of riding in my truck on desert washboard roads and neither holds zero well if you have a side impact. And a friend’s vortex had the reticle break off. Your mileage may vary, but caveat emptor.

Best advice is to look at the drop test results in the sub forum at the top of the long range forum. No one is suggesting that you should throw your gun at anything. But if a scope or scopes of a given model survive those tests, similar scopes are more likely to do what you expect of them when shit goes sideways unexpectedly. But for the type of scopes you are looking at, I’d suggest Trijicon.

Both those are good options in that price range but I would not say they are “beyond 400” kind of scopes. I’ve had good experience with Leupold and Vortex, but I’m more gentle with them than I am with my NF or Trijicon.

Between the two, I prefer the glass and CDS-ZL in the Leupold. I have one of those on my .308 and my Mother has one of the older versions on hers.

476ed55c1c60db2c8072857b5f604c17.jpg

>>>——JAKE——>

Back