Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 or 4x16

Meathead

FNG
I currently have a Diamondback 4x12-40 BDC and I'm very unhappy with the low light performance. Yesterday, I had 3 deer in the field about 330-350 yards around 6:45 AM Central time and could basically only see then on 4 - 6 power (overcast cloudy morning - was raining by 8). When I turned up the power more, it wasn't really visible, I could not tell if they were buck or does on lower power. Is that normal for a Diamondback? I'm thinking about a new Viper and was wondering the pros/cons of the 2.5-10x44 and 4-16 44? Hoping to hear of experiences with these 2 Viper models. My concern with the 4-16's BDC is having to turn it all the way up to make the BDC work...but with the 2.5-10 it will be much easier to be on full magnification and find the target in using the BDC, but then will it be enough magnification for some long shots? 80% of my hunting is under 300 yards, but I do hunt a field that is much longer than my abilities(950+yards). How good is the clarity on these 2 Viper scopes on full power?

the viper is a huge step up from a diamondback. No question. I prefer the 4-16 models as they have side focus and I prefer that over a fixed parallax. Depending on where you’re at, 645 doesn’t really tell us much. You need actual sunrise/sunset times to get a better idea. Most every scope, in low light, will really struggle on the higher end of the mag ring, and having animals out at distance doesn’t help anything. 350 yards is a poke with minimal light. I think the viper would help, but it probably isn’t gonna be a miracle worker. Add in rain and it kills a scope. I had a chance to shoot some very high end vortex scopes over the summer and at the end of the shoot it poured the rain. I couldn’t see 300 with the scope. Naked eye I could see about double that. Not sure what it does to the internals but I couldn’t see anything but a white picture in the scope.

EdP

WKR
IMO the 2.5-10 is the better choice for big game for the exact reasons you mentioned. My experience with the Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16 on my 6mm Rem when shooting my first pronghorn (on 16x and at 402 yds) convinced me I didn't want anything above 12x for big game and 9 or 10 is plenty. Being a user of SFP scopes with BDC reticles has a lot to do with that. If you go FFP or dial then different considerations are in play, and your scope budget will have to be a lot higher.

I had a viper 4-16x44 with the bdc reticle. It was a pretty good scope for the money. The glass was not exceptional at 16x and I could never remember the exact yardage that lined up with the subtensions. I did most of my shooting around 8-10x and used it as my introduction to dialing elevation.

Kurts86

WKR
I have a 2.5-10x44 Viper HS and a 4-16x44 HST. The 2.5-10 is the better hunting scope. It has a better low end FOV and eye box. 10x is enough for me to shoot out to 600 yards.

The 4-16 has too much magnification for the glass quality and objective lens size. Neither are great low light or long range scopes but for value they are some great glass for the money. Both of mine have been migrated to rimfire duty and I moved on to better big game glass.

TN2shot07

WKR
Another vote for the 2.5-10, that’s just about optimal for a hunting scope. At 10 you can still get back on the animal after the shot, it gets harder for me after that.

OP
M

Meathead

FNG
I appreciate the responses, my only other scope was a Tasco 3x9 that I used for 20+ years before getting the new rifle/scope about 4 years ago.

OP
M

Meathead

FNG
I remember shortly after getting the new 4x12 Diamondback that I was disappointed in it and had wished I spent as much time looking for a scope as I did for the rifle. The only regret in the rifle is I didn't spend a couple hundred more and get a stainless one over the cerakote. I do remember getting to this point in researching for a new scope a couple years ago and just dropping it...there are just so many choices it's hard to choose. Also, I'm leery of spending money just to have buyer's remorse again.

OP
M

Meathead

FNG
So how do you guys feel about the Viper HST 4-16x44 and the Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP models? That FFP model weighs about twice my current scope, the FFP is also getting up there in price. Are those tactical turrets a no for hunting?

TheHammer

WKR
The turrets are tools. If you aren’t planning on using them the way they are designed to be used you are buying a scope that you don’t need… imo… there is more to go wrong as well. also the 2.5-10 is a fantastic scope. Especially in hunting scenarios. I have a handful of them along with a few other models, it is my favorite hunting scope. The 2.5-10 gets the nod over the lht razors I have as well.

OP
M

Meathead

FNG
The turrets are tools. If you aren’t planning on using them the way they are designed to be used you are buying a scope that you don’t need… imo… there is more to go wrong as well. also the 2.5-10 is a fantastic scope. Especially in hunting scenarios. I have a handful of them along with a few other models, it is my favorite hunting scope. The 2.5-10 gets the nod over the lht razors I have as well.
Oh I agree, turrets are tools and I mostly wouldn't use them. But, I want my next scope to be the last one I purchase and that field is almost 1k yards long, I'm just wanting to gather info from others with experience. With a BDC I'd be limited to 600 yards using its holdover marks. A dial up could be used out to 800, last time I looked at the chart my round was carrying just over 1000 lbs of energy at 800 yards. I may never practive enough to get good at that distance, but then again, I might. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

TheHammer

WKR
Oh I agree, turrets are tools and I mostly wouldn't use them. But, I want my next scope to be the last one I purchase and that field is almost 1k yards long, I'm just wanting to gather info from others with experience. With a BDC I'd be limited to 600 yards using its holdover marks. A dial up could be used out to 800, last time I looked at the chart my round was carrying just over 1000 lbs of energy at 800 yards. I may never practive enough to get good at that distance, but then again, I might. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Ethics are like opinions, too each their own. You may consider an hslr vs hst. Based on my in field experience that’s what I would recommend if going in that price range and a turret scope. On my “big” gun I have an hslr 4-16x50. The setup just works and I can’t foresee changing it. This only comes out for one hunt a year beyond target shooting. Other then that it’s a lighter rig equipped with a hs 2.5-10. Most of them just pound paper and sit in the safe, one comes as a back up on my out of state hunts.

EdP

WKR
The Trijicon Huron 2.5-10x40 is another scope you might consider. I recently put one on my .444 Marlin and it is a perfect match. More expensive than the Vortex but better glass too, and not in the price range of FFP scopes or even SFP scopes that have reliable dials.

OP
M

Meathead

FNG
Well, I still haven't purchased a new scope, I need to do that before season starts. How do you guys feel about the Burris Veracity in 2-10 or 3-15? Is the glass better than the Trijicon Huron? thanks

OP
M

Meathead

FNG
Anyone ever had any issues with warranties on Burris Scopes? They say they have a forever warranty but then say it must be from an authorized seller. I'm looking at non thermal. On the Burris website they will list authorized sellers for you and my local Sportsman's Warehouse who sells Burris is not listed. Does this mean Burris will not warranty anything sold from SW?

OP
M

Meathead

FNG
What are your experiences with the vortex strike eagle 3-18x44FFP? How does it do in lower light compared to the Vipers? I know the weight of a strike eagle is getting up there for a hunting gun, that's one of the cons of this scope.

OP
M

Meathead

FNG
What are your experiences with the vortex strike eagle 3-18x44FFP? How does it do in lower light compared to the Vipers? I know the weight of a strike eagle is getting up there for a hunting gun, that's one of the cons of this scope.
I'm wondering if the Viper PST GEN 2 3-15x44FFP is worth spending the extra $250 for it?

BjornF16

WKR
I want my next scope to be the last one I purchase and that field is almost 1k yards long, I'm just wanting to gather info from others with experience.
Well...in that case I would STRONGLY suggest you mosey over to the Rifle Scope Field Evaluation forum and do some reading.

Get yourself a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 and call it good. There are a few other scopes that would work, depending upon your budget. The #1 most important role of your scope is being a reliable aiming device.

Other good choices:
Nightforce SHV
Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42
Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44
S&B Klassik
SWFA 3-9x42
SWFA 5-20x50

I didn’t get the ffp I do like the scope still the illumination is good and bright and it seems to track pretty well.