Truck tire question for you all

TheHammer

WKR
How do those Coopers do in snow and muddy/crappy terrain? I do quite a bit of snow driving in the winter.

I was "lucky" to get 4in of snow while turkey hunting on the night before we had to leave. Threw on the chains twice as I don't take chances when pulling the trailer...

View attachment 753309
I had coopers at3 a on my dually, they were ok at best, but compared to the terra grapplers they were subpar. Good year kevlars are either love or hate, my 2019 f350 got 17k out of those. We sell a ton of coopers* based on price. Most guys don’t buy them twice. The best performing tire we switch guys to is the falken. Some guys like the new Firestone at, but we see them chopping the edges off just like the bfg. Bfg’s ko3 might be their best all terrain ever.

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Cooper Stronghold is what I would purchase. A new tire from Cooper that looks to be a fantastic tire. My son just put a set on his 2019 Ram 1500. They have been fantastic so far. You really cannot go wrong with Cooper Tires. The AT3 is a wonderful tire as is the ST MAXX.

Here's the new Stronghold.
View attachment 747000
I currently have the ST MAXX on my Ford F150, but my next set of Coopers is going to be the Stronghold.
Im going to go with these on my dually

CorbLand

WKR
Saw a lot of cupping issues with Coopers. Even after replacing front ends, alignment, etc. Buddy had a pair of AT3s on his S10. Great tire in the mud and snow but they cupped horribly.

My head is spinning! Since I'm going into hunting season and winter, it's probably best I go ahead and get new tires now. My current Nittos have about 7/32 left on them with one tire shot. Was going put off the purchase and get a set of used tires on FB Marketplace but decided that wasn't the best idea with the reliability I need in the upcoming months. Last thing I need to plugging a tire miles into the deep woods (been there, done that).

Deciding between:
Nitto Ridge Grapplers (current tire and not overly enthusiastic about them)
Cooper Discoverer AT3
Mickey Thompson Baha Boss AT (never heard of this brand before, any insights?)
BFG AT T/A KO2

I know this dead horse has been beaten over and over but more opinions the better!

I drive F350 SRW, tow 12k trailer, lots of gravel dirt roads and snow

I definitely keep up on the tire pressure. I could do a bit better at rotating them, but that's not going to add 10k more miles of life.

Yes, my truck weighs 8k lbs and I don't take it easy on it. I don't pull my trailer all the time but I'd say around 40% it has the 5th wheel behind it and then another 30% pulling a drift boat or raft (both less than 1k lbs).

So is 25k miles typical for a F350 with moderate use and pulling a heavy trailer about 40% of the time?
I never got more than 30-35k out of a set of tires on a Dodge 2500 Cummins, not pulling a trailer.

Geewhiz

WKR
I've got 40k on some cooper at3 xlt's on an f150 and they've been great. About all Ive come to expect traction wise from an a/t tire but they wore great and very uniformly with minimal rotating. That being said they are done at 40k but I'm pleased with that. I've got a set of kanati mud terrains coming that will go on the same pickup after reading many stellar reviews on that tire.

I've also got about 16k miles on some ridge grapplers on a ram 2500 that have been good as well. Hard to say how many miles I will get out of them but at this point I would buy them again, aside from the fact that the price went up by $100/tire since I bought them.

SkyHunter

FNG
Toyo and nitto are the same company- same rubber. Best tire nitto had was the terra grappler which is now discontinued, it is superseded by the recon grappler. Properly load indexing a tire to the specificity of the trucks use is also key… I see hundreds of trucks a month. I will second that rotating makes huge difference in tire life.
I've got a little under 60k on terra grapplers and they still have a fair amount of life left. If I still lived in an area without snow, I would probably get another 10k or so out of them.

Hard to go wrong with Toyo Open Country M/T or A/T. Im about 50K miles into some M/Ts and they still got plenty of fight left in them
IMG_4870.jpeg

Harvey_NW

WKR
I've got a set of kanati mud terrains coming that will go on the same pickup after reading many stellar reviews on that tire.
For the price and performance I bet you'll be extremely happy with them. They probably won't go 50K especially if you drive a lot of gravel roads, but for the price in my mind they can't be beat. I have been 4 wheeling and rock crawling in the Cascades most of my life, that pattern is hands down one of the best snow tires available, especially aired down.
FB_IMG_1715315593786.jpg

And the daily/hunting rig with new Kanatis.
20240323_114733.jpg

Geewhiz

WKR
Hard to go wrong with Toyo Open Country M/T or A/T.
I agree that they are a good tire but in my recent shopping they were $443/tire and the kanati mt's were $186/tire, for less than half as much $$$ I'll take the kanatis. Hopefully they live up to the positive reviews. 🤞

fmyth

WKR
I own a 2016 F350, all stock.

How the hell Is as anyone getting 35k miles out of their ridge grapplers let alone 60k!??!!?

Mine have 21.k miles on them and will need to replace them within the next 5k-7k miles.

I ride highways, to the local supermarket, gravel roads, pull a 5th wheel, and mud at any given day. I struggle to get 25k on any tire I've ever bought!?

What am I doing wrong that everyone seems to be getting these crazy high amount of miles on their tires??
Is your truck a diesel? The three Ram 2500s w diesel engines I've owned could barely get 30k out of a set of AT tires. My 1500 gas trucks have all gotten at least 50k miles on the same brand/model AT tires.. The diesels additional weight and torque destroy tires. Same issue electric car owners have discovered. It probably doesn't help that I live in hells basement AKA Phoenix, AZ.

zr600

FNG
Have you looked at the Toyo rt trail? I’m really thinking hard about these for my 2500’hd. They have a really good weight rating in the size I want I’m going to try the 285/75r17.

Marshfly

WKR
Is your truck a diesel? The three Ram 2500s w diesel engines I've owned could barely get 30k out of a set of AT tires. My 1500 gas trucks have all gotten at least 50k miles on the same brand/model AT tires.. The diesels additional weight and torque destroy tires. Same issue electric car owners have discovered. It probably doesn't help that I live in hells basement AKA Phoenix, AZ.
I have zero issues with the Falkens on heavy HD Rams. BFG ATs are junk on heavy trucks. I tried to save some money this time and went Toyo AT3. Also junk. Wear was terrible and snow traction was laughable. Have a set of Falken AT3Ws sitting in the garage ready to replace them next week. SimpleTire currently has a ton of those on sale for Labor Day. This will be my 4th set on various trucks with a lot of them 37s on HDs.

BigDog00

WKR
I have some experience with the Wildpeaks but has anybody ran the Falken Rubitreks? They look really similar.

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using Mickey Thompsons baja boss a/t and bilstien shocks on my f-250 and I'll never use anything else. Handles like a dream on the highways or offroad.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
Just put some Falken AT4W’s on my 2016 Chevy Dmax. Really nice so far. Previous tires were General Grabber AT/X’s and they are great tires also!