Truck tire question for you all

SloppyJ

WKR
I just put that same size falken wildpeak at4s on my dodge. I was going to try the new BFG ko3s but decided to make the switch. I’ve been running ko2s for quite a while before now and was looking for lower road noise.
I'd be interested in how they do in the rain. I had some on a Tundra. Great when new but under 50% tread, they were the slickest tires in rainy conditions that I've ever owned.

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be interested in how they do in the rain. I had some on a Tundra. Great when new but under 50% tread, they were the slickest tires in rainy conditions that I've ever owned.
I live in the PNW so they get plenty of wet weather use. I think they do well. I have about 2/3rds of the tread left on mine.

Nitto Ridge Grappler and keep them rotated. You will get 60K easy.
I own a 2016 F350, all stock.

How the hell Is as anyone getting 35k miles out of their ridge grapplers let alone 60k!??!!?

Mine have 21.k miles on them and will need to replace them within the next 5k-7k miles.

I ride highways, to the local supermarket, gravel roads, pull a 5th wheel, and mud at any given day. I struggle to get 25k on any tire I've ever bought!?

What am I doing wrong that everyone seems to be getting these crazy high amount of miles on their tires??

Last edited:

WyldGoose

FNG
Love the Cooper AT3 XLT, seems to be made of some magic rubber that lasts forever. Originally chose it for its high load rating for hauling a truck camper, but they seem to be great for everything.

I'm not sure you need a mud tire based on what you described. Try this one: BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2, yep they have it in your size.

TBarron

WKR

How the hell Is as anyone getting 35k miles out of their ridge grapplers let alone 60k!??!!?

Mine have 21.k miles on them and will need to replace them within the next 5k-7k miles.

I ride highways, to the local supermarket, gravel roads, pull a 5th wheel, and mud at any given day. I struggle to get 25k on any tire I've ever bought!?

What am I doing wrong that everyone seems to be getting these crazy high amount of miles on their tires??

Exact same boat here. Yokohama RTs and Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Looking at less than 25K miles before needing a new set on my 2019 f250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harvey_NW

WKR
I don’t understand cheap tires at all.

I really don't understand the guys who buy a set of $4k wheels, and wrap them in the cheapest rubber available.
I guess that depends how you define cheap. I've payed almost $4k for a set of Toyos, and they didn't last any longer or do anything better than my $1,000 Kanati's.

nphunter

WKR
I would seriously look at the Kenda Klever R/T, cost is decent, they drive great down the highway and perform very well offroad. I ran two different sets on my last Tacoma and never had a single flat, they worked great offroad and 90% of my driving was done with 20lb or less air pressure which is pretty hard on tires.

CorbLand

WKR

Maintaining proper pressure and regular rotations?

How many miles are you pulling or driving with heavy loads?

Even wear?

F350s are heavy. To the tune of 35-40% heavier than most half tons. You will never get the life out of ATs or MTs that half tons get, just due to your initial weight.

Maintaining proper pressure and regular rotations?

How many miles are you pulling or driving with heavy loads?

Even wear?

F350s are heavy. To the tune of 35-40% heavier than most half tons. You will never get the life out of ATs or MTs that half tons get, just due to your initial weight.
I definitely keep up on the tire pressure. I could do a bit better at rotating them, but that's not going to add 10k more miles of life.

Yes, my truck weighs 8k lbs and I don't take it easy on it. I don't pull my trailer all the time but I'd say around 40% it has the 5th wheel behind it and then another 30% pulling a drift boat or raft (both less than 1k lbs).

So is 25k miles typical for a F350 with moderate use and pulling a heavy trailer about 40% of the time?

CorbLand

WKR
I definitely keep up on the tire pressure. I could do a bit better at rotating them, but that's not going to add 10k more miles of life.

Yes, my truck weighs 8k lbs and I don't take it easy on it. I don't pull my trailer all the time but I'd say around 40% it has the 5th wheel behind it and then another 30% pulling a drift boat or raft (both less than 1k lbs).

So is 25k miles typical for a F350 with moderate use and pulling a heavy trailer about 40% of the time?
You would be amazed at what proper rotation schedules can do to improve the life of tires. If you are rotating every 6000-7000, it probably wont add much but if your never rotating, then you could see an additional 10K. Not the end all be all, but it does help.

Its been a long time and it was a short stint in the tire shop business for me so I cant comment with any authority but, yea, that much initial weight and pulling a fifth wheel that often with AT tires, I dont see 25K as being super low. Low but not super low.

I know my uncle use to put the TOYO ATs on his Dmax and he pulled a lot less than you do and he never got over 35K on his. My brother has that pickup now and put the TOYO RTs on it, time will tell how they do as far as mileage.

I move hay for a guy that has a Cummins and he swears by the NITTOs, not sure the model. I will see if I can get ahold of him and see what he gets. I will ask my old boss from the tire shop if I see him around as well.

Last edited:

Low, but not crazy low.

My truck (F250 with Ranchhands, winch, rack, steel box...) weighs a little over 9k, I tow a little less than you, but my trailer is tounge heavy even empty. I drive pretty aggressively as well. Rotate every 6-10k, that's not real consistent. Lol

My last several sets have been Cooper at3 xlt, because they last so long, and do relatively well off road.

I get about 40k, and a little off the next set because they're 50k guaranteed.

You would be amazed at what proper rotation schedules can do to improve the life of tires. If you are rotating every 6000-7000, it probably wont add much but if your never rotating, then you could see an additional 10K. Not the end all be all, but it does help.

Its been a long time and it was a short stint in the tire shop business for me so I cant comment with any authority but, yea, that much initial weight and pulling a fifth wheel that often with AT tires, I dont see 25K as being super low. Low but not super low.

I know my uncle use to put the TOYO ATs on his Dmax and he pulled a lot less than you do and he never got over 35K on his. My brother has that pickup now and put the TOYO RTs on it, time will tell how they do as far as mileage.

I move hay for a guy that has a Cummins and he swears by the NITTOs, not sure the model. I will see if I can get ahold of him and see what he gets. I will ask my old boss from the tire shop if I see him around as well.
Appreciate the insights Corb. I've ran the Nitto Trail Grapplers (mud terrain) previously and now have the Ridge (hybrid terrain) on them currently. I was hoping to get more out of the Ridges but it's turning out to be insignificant.

My current Ridge Grapplers have 21.5k and they do have some tread left, but not sure if I want to push it with hunting season and winter coming quickly.

Not looking forward to spending $1800 on new dang tires!!

Low, but not crazy low.

My truck (F250 with Ranchhands, winch, rack, steel box...) weighs a little over 9k, I tow a little less than you, but my trailer is tounge heavy even empty. I drive pretty aggressively as well. Rotate every 6-10k, that's not real consistent. Lol

My last several sets have been Cooper at3 xlt, because they last so long, and do relatively well off road.

I get about 40k, and a little off the next set because they're 50k guaranteed.
How do those Coopers do in snow and muddy/crappy terrain? I do quite a bit of snow driving in the winter.

I was "lucky" to get 4in of snow while turkey hunting on the night before we had to leave. Threw on the chains twice as I don't take chances when pulling the trailer...

1724174557068.png

TheHammer

WKR

Toyo and nitto are the same company- same rubber. Best tire nitto had was the terra grappler which is now discontinued, it is superseded by the recon grappler. Properly load indexing a tire to the specificity of the trucks use is also key… I see hundreds of trucks a month. I will second that rotating makes huge difference in tire life.

CorbLand

WKR
Appreciate the insights Corb. I've ran the Nitto Trail Grapplers (mud terrain) previously and now have the Ridge (hybrid terrain) on them currently. I was hoping to get more out of the Ridges but it's turning out to be insignificant.

My current Ridge Grapplers have 21.5k and they do have some tread left, but not sure if I want to push it with hunting season and winter coming quickly.

Not looking forward to spending $1800 on new dang tires!!
Part of the reason I said "Nope" to the tire industry is it got old dealing with people that dont want to buy things that they have to. 10 to 1 people were pissed they had to buy new tires than people being happy about it. I hate buying tires myself, so I get it.

I would seriously ask yourself if you need an AT/MT tire. Could you get buy with a tire that is more designed to handle the weight you are dealing with? Look into a summer tire and winter tire if your mostly worried about snow.

CorbLand

WKR
Toyo and nitto are the same company- same rubber. Best tire nitto had was the terra grappler which is now discontinued, it is superseded by the recon grappler. Properly load indexing a tire to the specificity of the trucks use is also key… I see hundreds of trucks a month. I will second that rotating makes huge difference in tire life.
Yep. You gotta get the best tire for what you do and that works with your vehicle. Just the way it is. If you need the AT/MTs on heavy pickups, your going to be replacing them often.

Worked at a sporting goods store and we got people that would come in and buy Kenetreks or Zamberlan hiking boots then use them as a work boot and complain that they didnt last. Gotta buy things that are built for your purpose.

How do those Coopers do in snow and muddy/crappy terrain? I do quite a bit of snow driving in the winter.

I was "lucky" to get 4in of snow while turkey hunting on the night before we had to leave. Threw on the chains twice as I don't take chances when pulling the trailer...

View attachment 753309
I'd call them satisfactory in sloppy/muddy and a little better than that on snowy roads.

I don't spend a lot of time in snow, but they've pleased me when I have.

I go through lots of slop and mud, they do as well or better than anything else that's not super aggressive.