Truck Oil Change - Mileage or Computer?

MThuntr

WKR
As someone who has worked in the oil industry developing HD and PCMO oils if you are using a full synthetic you are wasting money changing oils 7500 miles or less. Maybe if you are towing in extreme conditions on a regular basis you would look into it.

Basically the cheaper the oil the more frequently the oil should be changed. The better the oil the longer you can go between oil changes.
you're probably right...currently Kirkland full synthetic is priced similar to low end conventional or synthetic blend. One day I want to get an oil sample tested to see if maybe 7500 is more reasonable

Titan_Bow

WKR
In my new 4Runner, I’ve been following the vehicles computer, which is every 6k miles, full synthetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I change mine once a year at the end of August regardless of miles, gas engine. I use the 15k synthetic oil and filter, and maybe put 3-5k miles on in a year on my personal truck.
Work truck I use 15k synthetic oil and filter, and change at 10-12k.
Air filter is key to keeping dirt out of the oil.
How does an air filter keep dirt out of oil? If filter is dirty, without a hole, the engine just starves for air. imo

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My trucks are too old for them to have a computer to tell me when to change the oil. My Toyota has been using Mobil 1 for almost 33 years and I change it once every year, whether it needs it or not. My F-350 I change every 4-5k with Delvac. I could care less what a computer tells me. I would over ride it either way.......just because.

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Dad taught me to do it about every 3k miles and he’s never had anything oil related go wrong with his vehicles so that’s what I do.

go_deep

WKR
How does an air filter keep dirt out of oil? If filter is dirty, without a hole, the engine just starves for air. imo

I'm no mechanic, but my uncle who was the R&D manager for Catapillar did studies that the cleaner the air going in, kept the engine cleaner, which kept the oil clean longer, it also reduced general motor breakdowns along with extended motor life. Figure he knew way more about it than me, so I buy the nicest air filter I can find, I change my work truck oil sometimes at 10k+ miles and that oil looks pretty good still.

I'm no mechanic, but my uncle who was the R&D manager for Catapillar did studies that the cleaner the air going in, kept the engine cleaner, which kept the oil clean longer, it also reduced general motor breakdowns along with extended motor life. Figure he knew way more about it than me, so I buy the nicest air filter I can find, I change my work truck oil sometimes at 10k+ miles and that oil looks pretty good still.
Buying the best air filter you can buy makes a differences. However, a filter is a filter. Just like a fuel filter it works better as it gets dirty. imo

The only real way to know is send samples in to Blackstone labs and then use the report they send to make an educated guess.

Thats what I did on my car and it was surprising that at 8k miles they said it looked fine with no wear and try 10k.
I don't push my luck that much because I believe oil is much cheaper then an engine.
But I don't stress if I'm busy and go 1k over any more

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The new Cummins calls for oil changes every 15,000 miles. If you haul a lot the computer will come on much sooner indicating that an oil change is due.

Afhunter1

WKR
I used to change my 1500 GMC 5.3L every 5k. Motor crapped the bed at 130K. Ha ha. $7,000 jasper later.

Now I have a 2021 D-Max and still change at 5K.

I used to change mine based on mileage and my mechanic at the dealer told me to not do that. He said with the new synthetic oils, listen to the computer. So I do that know and mine goes on somewhere around 7500 miles.

buzzy

WKR
you're probably right...currently Kirkland full synthetic is priced similar to low end conventional or synthetic blend. One day I want to get an oil sample tested to see if maybe 7500 is more reasonable
I have tested more oil samples than one can count over a 25 year career formulating motor oil. The tests range from the field to engines run on dynos and I know what I’m talking about. Most cases where the engines were run for an extended length of time (10000 miles). You are absolutely wasting money changing any full synthetic oil prior to 7500 miles unless you are undergoing extreme towing for most of those miles. Anyone telling you differently is trying to sell you more motor oil. But to each their own.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I have tested more oil samples than one can count over a 25 year career formulating motor oil. The tests range from the field to engines run on dynos and I know what I’m talking about. Most cases where the engines were run for an extended length of time (10000 miles). You are absolutely wasting money changing any full synthetic oil prior to 7500 miles unless you are undergoing extreme towing for most of those miles. Anyone telling you differently is trying to sell you more motor oil. But to each their own.

What does the computer say at those 7500 miles?

rayporter

WKR
i have been sending oil in for analysis for many years. i used to change oil at 3000 mi and they said i could go a lot longer so i went to 5000 mi intervals. they said i could go longer. i now change at 7000 to 8000 mi and they still say it will go longer [and so does the computer] this is with 15w40 dino oil.

i tow a lot and rarely does the truck go anywhere without a trailer so i just cant bring myself to go to longer intervals.

the car gets changed when i feel like it needs it. it is, shall we say, expendable. its job is to keep miles off of the truck.