Oil Change Interval

CorbLand

WKR
5k on all my Toyotas.

I did go almost 10k on my 02 Tundra once and I’ll never do that again. That oil was ugly.
I may or may not have pushed close to 15,000 on my 01. Pretty sure that water would have been a better lubricant when I finally changed it.

CorbLand

WKR
My truck leaks/burns oil so bad that theres absolutely no need to change it. I just add a new quart every time I get gas, equivalent to an oil change every 1k miles ;)
Self changing oil is the best oil in my opinion.

Black stone will mail you the sample kits for free.
Send in a sample.
Read there recommendation.
Keep extending the interval based on there recommendation until they tell you that's long enough or to much. Round it back and use that interval.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Most are algorithm based where driving conditions are monitored and the change interval varies depending on use.
Perhaps on new rigs but many of the older ones are just mileage.

Our '16 silvearado is an algorithm. A 12 or 13 Silverado we had was mileage only. All of my early 2000-2012 Yotas have been pure mileage. Brothers F250, unsure year, is pure mileage.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Depends on the vehicle. It is calculated by the ECU based on things like engine load, trip length, operating temperature, Etc. My 2 new Toyota's recommend a 10k interval in the manual. They do not have an oilch change indicator, just a maintenance light that comes on very 5k.

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
2011 Tacoma & 2004 Wrangler, every 5K. 2018 Wrangler, whenever it tells me. Usually between 9 & 10K miles.

I have an 03 Chevy Tahoe that I have only changed oil based on the oil life monitor as that is what the manual says. 350,000 miles and going strong with no engine issues.

Most are using algorithms, sensors, and software where the driving conditions are monitored and the change interval varies depending on use.
View attachment 559027
This is correct on modern vehicles.
I have a F150 3.5 Eco and if I was towing or using it in hot, dusty conditions, I would be more concerned about oil life.
The oil life monitor lists idle hours and such...My last oil change was at about 10k.
Kirkland-branded full-synth has been my choice for the past few changes and it has a pretty good reputation via Bob Is The Oil Guy.

I change my diesel truck every 5000 miles. The book says every 7000. The math is just easier.

A number of discussions I had with chem. engineers over the years, said the oil is stable but the additives have a shorter life span by time and miles. Oil is cheaper than an engine.
I second this! Coming from a professional engineer

manitou1

WKR
My owners manual says 10K, but less if driven in harsh conditions or towing.
My dash ALWAYS tells me to change oil between 5700 and 6000 miles.

I tow about 3000 lbs a dozen times a year, but frequent two tracks and forest service roads. The road to our house is pretty dusty also.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My '89 Toyota has used Mobil 1 for 34 years now. Used to change it every 5k miles when it was my only vehicle, but these days it doesn't get driven as much so I just change it every August before elk season which is about 2k miles. My diesel I change every 5k, so about twice a year. Neither vehicle uses any oil between changes. I can't even remember the last time anyone other than myself changed the oil in one of our vehicles.....it's been decades. I have a section of our white board where I track every change and every tire rotation so I know when they're due.

MattB

WKR
Full synthetic, generally in the 9K-10K range. Given how few issues I hear related to engines/oil change frequency I do not sweat it too much.

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
I have an 03 Chevy Tahoe that I have only changed oil based on the oil life monitor as that is what the manual says. 350,000 miles and going strong with no engine issues.
I have a cobalt and a Sierra - I change the oil when it hits about 25% of oil life. Give it a take a little bit. The 6.2 is starting to use a little at 170k

rayporter

WKR
i changed and sent in samples for testing at 10,000. that is when the dashboard said it was time.
samples said lots of wear. i went to 5000 mi intervals and no wear.