Tripod for optics + shooting

WKR

WKR
Which two vets is that? I have been looking at the ruck
Thats what I ended up with, its a good lightweight option thats great for sitting shots, but I wouldn't shoot standing off of it unless it was close range

gspguy22

FNG
Thats what I ended up with, its a good lightweight option thats great for sitting shots, but I wouldn't shoot standing off of it unless it was close range
Good to know. Have a friend with one of the heaved options and have seen him make hits at 500 standing . But it's a predator rig.

Reactions: WKR

WKR

WKR
Good to know. Have a friend with one of the heaved options and have seen him make hits at 500 standing . But it's a predator rig.
Yeah two vets has those too but for my purposes I need something light and packable

gspguy22

FNG
I’ve got a Ruck with an RRS BH-30 LR head. Good glassing set-up. Pretty poor shooting set-up.

I use it for archery hunts, rifle hunts where I’m just tagging along, and recreational glassing. I'll shoot from it occasionally, but it stays home if I’m on a rifle hunt with a tag.
What are you running when you are shooting off a tripod?

RRS 24L with integrated Anvil 30.

I’m assuming yours is the TFCT? Have you used the TVC at all?

I’ve got an Anvil and the series 2 adapter. I’m going to buy a 24L but can’t buy the 24L TFCT without buying another Anvil. I’m considering buying the Versa.

parshal

WKR
I only recently discovered that the 22i is a series 2 apex after having used it for four months. After comparing the 22i to my 34L with the TFCT for stability I noticed the 22i had less apex twist. I called SOAR and they said it is series 2 apex on the 22i and is more stable than the TFCT. I replaced the TFCT on the 34L with the series 2 and anvil adapter and, I agree, it’s more stable.

The series 3 apex is drastically larger than the series 2. I didn’t even know the 22i was a versa even side by side with the TFCT.

I bought mine years ago before the renaming, but yeah it should be the current TFCT.

Personally, I wouldn’t go the Versa route. Having the head integrated provides a mechanical advantage. Plus the legs fold more compact with the TFCT. Call RRS on Monday and tell them you already have an Anvil 30, but you want the TFCT setup. I’d bet you could mail yours in if needed.
I only recently discovered that the 22i is a series 2 apex after having used it for four months. After comparing the 22i to my 34L with the TFCT for stability I noticed the 22i had less apex twist. I called SOAR and they said it is series 2 apex on the 22i and is more stable than the TFCT. I replaced the TFCT on the 34L with the series 2 and anvil adapter and, I agree, it’s more stable.

The series 3 apex is drastically larger than the series 2. I didn’t even know the 22i was a versa even side by side with the TFCT.
Interesting. I was leaning along the same lines as TK-421 posted. With the TFCT there is one less interface for play and it should be stronger. But if RRS also said the Versa is more stable I was obviously thinking wrong.

Thanks for the input from both of you.

Regards, Branden

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
Anvil works on my LRH and everything else with Pic or ARCA I’ve tried. I have both the new version with Rlok and old version. No issues.

They have a new PT-Scout which looks like a very interesting addition for glassing. Anyone tried that?

Anvil works on my LRH and everything else with Pic or ARCA I’ve tried. I have both the new version with Rlok and old version. No issues.

They have a new PT-Scout which looks like a very interesting addition for glassing. Anyone tried that?
I ordered one a few days ago with the SC-ARC attachment system. Backorder is about 2-3 weeks so I'll get it then but it's RRS so I already know it's top of the line. A few people who posted in the thread below have since ordered it. I just don't get why they haven't advertised it at all given how big of a deal it is for Anvil users.

lcx321

FNG
What sort of problem?
Recoil may broke the mount? I assume you attach the arca rail to the tripod head? I don`t know, I just started to learn shooting off of a tripod after my first NRL hunter match. It feels more stably than shooting off my bag.

Recoil may broke the mount? I assume you attach the arca rail to the tripod head? I don`t know, I just started to learn shooting off of a tripod after my first NRL hunter match. It feels more stably than shooting off my bag.
A lot of these heads, like the Anvil, were designed for shooting as their primary purpose. Personally I chose a great shooting tripod/head and then figured out how to clip a pan head onto it for glassing. But the system was designed for shooting.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We run leofoto tripods for comp stuff and if I'm going to glass a lot I use an outdoorsmans. We do a lot of tripod shooting in competition and more and more we're killing animals off of them.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have a Spartan Hercules Tripod that has well over 5,000 rounds shot off it from a .50 BMG. So pretty much any decent tripod can handle rifle recoil.

TxJW

FNG
I'm very economy minded (cheap) and use a Slik 824 with an Amazon Avella fluid head and BOG rest. Works great for both shooting and using spotter. No complaints.