RRS Scout

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
I’m super interested to hear feedback as well after going from glassing with a VA5 to Anvil 30 head for the ability to shoot off a tripod. The Anvil 30 definitely isn’t as seamless to glass from. The only downside of the PT Scout would be the ~9oz extra to carry on top of the anvil.

Oh absolutely hell yes. I am 100% going to be ordering one of these for my TFCT-34L since it has an Anvil on it.

Or..
For 90% of the functionality at only 8 oz total weight. The RRS BC-18 paired with the Tricer panhead. The BC-18 works even with full size spotters and to shoot off of when clamped near the center point of a rifle.
View attachment 579824
Given the Scout is 9 oz total weight for its heaviest option (I'll be doing the one that's 7.5 oz), that doesn't seem like a real gain if functionality is 10% less as you say.

Given the Scout is 9 oz total weight for its heaviest option (I'll be doing the one that's 7.5 oz), that doesn't seem like a real gain if functionality is 10% less as you say.

Adding the Anvil-30, at its 15 oz, you are up to 23 oz.
Just saying that for an ultralight option, you can basically do the same thing at around 1/3 the weight. It’s still capable of shooting from. The BC-18 is like a mini anvil and is a reverse ballhead as well. I have the Anvil and the BC-18 for reference.

The PT Scout does look nice.
I’ll head back over to the Lightweight forum.
Carry on 😆

Last edited:
Adding the Anvil-30, at its 15 oz, you are up to 23 oz.
Just saying that for an ultralight option, you can basically do the same thing at around 1/3 the weight. It’s still capable of shooting from. The BC-18 is like a mini anvil and is a reverse ballhead as well. I have the Anvil and the BC-18 for reference.
Oh I misunderstood and thought you meant clamp that into an Anvil instead. It is correct that I will be clamping the Scout into my Anvil and will take the weight penalty with a smile if I can have a real glassing head for an extra 8 oz. But I am also not an ultralight hunter so my priorities are way different.

Well I'm willing to be the guinea pig on this one. There aren't really many reviews on this particular item from RRS from what I've found which is odd since it seems like a huge deal for those of us with Anvil ball heads that want to have a good glassing experience. I just backordered a PT Scout with the SC-ARC attachment style. I called RRS and the guy said the backorder is normally about 2 weeks for that configuration so now I wait.

ID_Matt

WKR
Interested to see what you guys think that have ordered. I am a big fan of the anvil 30 for shooting, but have a tough time getting away from my VA-5 fluid head for glassing. Thinking this or the Tricer clamped in to the anvil will be the best of both worlds.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Prior to seeing this but reading about mini-ball heads, I ordered this one w/11lb capacity on a whim. Very similar to try it out before going all in on the RRS version, if needed. I never even considered that it might work to shoot off of honestly, Ben has me intruiged.

Only problem I have it my tripod apex is 3/8" male stud, and these mini heads are 1/4-20 (mine has female socket and male removable stud that comes with it). Cannot for the life of me figure out a good female 3/8" to 1/4-20 plate that is light, and not brass/SS.

The tricer PH is intruiging. Maybe I better follow Ben back to the UL area, ha.

OP
parshal

parshal

WKR
I have both the BPC-16 and BC-18. Both are great for being small, packable and stable. There's no way I'd shoot off those, though. Yes, you can but the stability is not there compared to the Anvil or larger heads.

I've taken to using those two micro-heads as window mounts.

OP
parshal

parshal

WKR
I just backordered a PT Scout with the SC-ARC attachment style. I called RRS and the guy said the backorder is normally about 2 weeks for that configuration so now I wait.
I just cancelled my order for the scout with the arc and ordered with the screw clamp. I realized I don't need the lever lock for glassing and it saves well over 1.5 oz. not using the arc clamp. I'm going to pull the whole head off and use the arc lever on the tripod when I shoot so I'll have the same lever anyway.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Ordered something close to that, supossedly 10grams, we'll see! Thanks.

As far as the Scout Head from RRS - I just do not get why it is not integrated and you have to "stack" heads? Is the thought you're likely using the bottom head, whatever that is, for shooting, and then this pan head is for glass only? Seems like it would be hard to shoot off of. If that's the case (meant for glassing only), it is a bit strange they make it so a pic rail or arca can be clamped to it.

OP
parshal

parshal

WKR
Yes, it's meant for glassing not shooting. The anvil head is vastly, not even close, superior in terms of stability over a pan/tilt head.

All my glass has a pic rail on the stud/Outdoorsmans adapter so it'll clip right in this head. I have a little Burris optic with a pic rail on the bottom and this will clip right in the head, too. The arca connection to the anvil keeps from having to buy an adapter which is what is necessary for every other head I've tried.

Basically, for me, the head is perfect the way it is with arca/pic rail top and bottom.