Tripod for optics + shooting

Jjustus16

FNG
I’m looking for a tripod to hold a spotter and also one that can be used for shooting, so it needs to be able to support the additional weight and still be stable when firing a rifle. I am hoping to keep the weight down as well if possible.

I’m currently looking at the revic backpacker and slik pro 824 CF. I was also considering the revic Hunter. Anyone have experience with these?

I want to add that I would love to have a RRS, but a $1k tripod is just not in the budget right now. My thinking is that it would be better to spend that extra money on other high end gear and shoot off a pack if necessary for the time being.

Thanks in advance.

WKR

WKR
Look at the two vets options, they are good quality

Attachments

• 20230411_190906.jpg
    20230411_190906.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230411_191221.jpg
    20230411_191221.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 75
OP
Jjustus16

Jjustus16

FNG
My tripod might be the most used piece of shooting gear that I have. I'd sell or forego other gear if needed. My recommendation is that you work some overtime and/or sell some gear to afford the RRS set-up. If you are only using a tripod for glassing, you can go way cheaper. But if you actually use it for shooting, buy a TFCT with integrated anvil 30 head.

I've used leofoto, and they don't compare (I was surprised at how spongey the set-up was). I own a Hog tripod, and it doesn't compare. I have and have used some other tripods and heads, and they don't stack-up.
It’s not one of those instances of paying double the price for 15% improvement? I.e. swaro

OP
Jjustus16

Jjustus16

FNG
Yes, I have the Leofoto SA-324C and love it - I added a slick panning clamp with an Arca base on it to facilitate a better glassing experience, but its not necessary. The SL looks really slick and mimics the RRS Ascend series. I also have the SO-282C for PRS/NRL-type events and its great.
Do you have a link to that clamp that works? That one’s not coming up.

mthayr

WKR
I've used leofoto, and they don't compare (I was surprised at how spongey the set-up was).
Out of curiosity, what model of TFCT do you own?

I'm not questioning your experience, just wondering if it was an "apples-to-apples" comparison - from a strictly price standpoint (as the OP seemed to indicate that was a large consideration) the least expensive TFCT model is $1475 (there is currently only one available) and the similarly spec'd (from a height, weight, and capacity standpoint) SA-324C is readily available at about $420.

TxLite

WKR
I own a Hog tripod, and it doesn't compare.
What didn’t you like about the hog saddle/shadow tech tripod? I haven’t used a nicer tripod personally and I’m worried it’ll end up like the first time you look through nice glass. Forever ruined on the inexpensive stuff

Besides the weight and large packed down size I’ve been happy with mine from a stability and ease of use standpoint

mthayr

WKR
I guess for the purposes of the OP, it all comes down to what you can justify/afford.

If I were a nationally-ranked PRS shooter, chasing a sheep-slam, or a full-time photog then I think I could probably justify a $1500 tripod. As an amateur PRS competitor and sometimes tree-stand, sometimes spot-and-stalk hunter... its just not feasible. YMMV

TxLite

WKR
Haha. Yeah, if you think the HOG is good, be happy in ignorance.

I have the shorter GS version, and a friend has the taller version. In short, the Hog is less stable, heavier, bulkier, and has less available adjustment. The Hog was my first shooting tripod and I also packed it hunting. I still have the Hog and use it for Kraft drills, but that's pretty much it. I shoot off a tripod quite a bit, so maybe I'm just biased, but if I was starting over I would forego a lot of other stuff I spent money on and buy an RRS set-up out of the gate.

There's a reason why it's extremely rare to find a used RRS TFCT/Anvil 30 set-up.
Thanks

This was my first tripod for shooting as well. Previous experience was the shitty Amazon tripods so when I got this one in 2018 it was night and day. I’ll probably eventually upgrade, cause this thing sucks to pack. But for now I’ll keep using it

OP
Jjustus16

Jjustus16

FNG
I hear you. It's all about context & frame of reference. That Amazon tripod probably kicked the balls off of lashing a few sticks together.
I’ll give the RRS some thought. I’m currently just getting into long range shooting using .223, (haven’t even bought my elk rifle yet) so that’s why I’m hesitant to spend 1k on a tripod.

With that being said I’m definitely the “buy once, cry once” type. Maybe pushing off other gear for the time being makes more sense.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you looked at the Spartan Ascent? https://www.happyantelope.com/produ...ripod-gen-ii-mountain-with-davros-pro-head-ii

There is a Podcast with Ryan and Rob from Spartan you can listen to as well as it's been review by RS I believe as well as just about everyone else.

About as light as you can get as well us dropping the trekking poles to save even more weight. Plus you can swap from tripod to bipod in a second.

Paul

parshal

WKR
I have owned nearly every RRS tripod at some point and currently have the 34L and 22i. I've had the Leofoto listed above as well as a 404. They're pretty stable and the anvil knock off is exactly that, a knock off, nearly a direct copy. I'd say they're 90% of the RRS at half the price. You save weight and have more stability with the RRS.

My recommendation is to forego the 324. It's usable but you'll have much more stability if you go bigger. That's huge if you plan on shooting off them.

Last edited: