Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44mm Field Eval Q&A

Macintosh

WKR
If i'm reading the 3-12 klassik specs right, it has 10.8 mil total elevation travel? So in theory if a guy got like a 10 MOA base (do they exist for tikkas even?) he'd have 8.3 mil up if a scope center of travel happened to be aligned perfect with bore from the get go and have 2.5 Mil buffer down in case it was not.. Seems like that would probably work but playing with fire on the margins, running a scope close to it's max travel on zero, and wouldn't have enough elevation for 1000 yards if a guy wanted to shoot from that line on the range.. Would be a lot cooler if they just had 50-100% more elevation travel!
unfortunately no—aside from not existing as far as I can tell (looks like MT stopped making their 10moa version), regardless of where you put the zero within the total travel, it is the design of the turret that limits travel to 4.8 or 3.2 mils, not the total elevation in the erector. So assuming a straight rail results in your zero being approximately in the center of travel there is really no advantage at all to using a rail with any elevation built in on that particular scope. Going from 3.2 to 4.8mils is still a big difference and more than plenty for most people though!

On the tenmile I was also a little worried about limited turret travel - I have 20 MOA rails on both my guns that have tenmiles and each setup gets me over 50 MOA travel for anyone interested - I believe 54 MOA on one and 53 on the other. just for reference for any worried. Gets my 7 PRC out to ~1600 and my 6.5 PRC out to ~1400

Dobermann

WKR
I'm well set with 3-9 SS's and LRHS/LRTSs but was interested in one of these bad boys and was trying to find an excuse to buy one. You guys are shooting down my impulses! Maybe it would be a better replacement on for one of the 4.5-18 bushy's i have on heavier 300wm or 7 SAUM for western hunts? Seems like a good price on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Trijicon-Tenmile-Riflescope-Precision-Reticle/dp/B083F6QDG8?th=1&psc=1

SFP is a hard pass on an 18x scope even if I rarely need to hold wind.
For just one reference point, I think I asked Form earlier in this thread about whether this would be his scope of choice for hunting, and the answer was a negative ... doesn't mean that would be the case for you, but if you can track down the post, there might be some reasoning in there that might help with triangulating.

Dobermann

WKR
If i'm reading the 3-12 klassik specs right, it has 10.8 mil total elevation travel? So in theory if a guy got like a 10 MOA base (do they exist for tikkas even?) he'd have 8.3 mil up if a scope center of travel happened to be aligned perfect with bore from the get go and have 2.5 Mil buffer down in case it was not.. Seems like that would probably work but playing with fire on the margins, running a scope close to it's max travel on zero, and wouldn't have enough elevation for 1000 yards if a guy wanted to shoot from that line on the range.. Would be a lot cooler if they just had 50-100% more elevation travel!
If you hunt around, you'll find one (possibly two) threads where we listed a bunch of the pic rail options for Tikka's. I don't recall any of them being 10 mil, but doesn't mean they're not out there - but track down that thread and check the links ... it's a fairly through list of Tikka rail options.

atmat

WKR
If you hunt around, you'll find one (possibly two) threads where we listed a bunch of the pic rail options for Tikka's. I don't recall any of them being 10 mil, but doesn't mean they're not out there - but track down that thread and check the links ... it's a fairly through list of Tikka rail options.
He wanted a rail to add usability to the SB Klassic. Unfortunately they won’t work as it’s turret limited (not elevation travel limited).

amassi

WKR

Srs is releasing a 20moa base with a recoil pin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntnful

WKR
He’s using Kentucky windage. Keep up, man.

But in all honestly, 3x on a light-colored wall in a well-lit room isn’t the best comparison.
Yeah I’m just trying to show the 3 bold lines that would be pretty easy to center up on a buck. But I would prefer them to still be even closer to the center of the reticle

Marshfly

WKR
I'll be honest, while I don't like that the entire tree illuminates, my brain and eyes ignores all of that on quick shots.
I mounted one of these on my main rifle last spring and shot my first animal with it last weekend. Fast shot. My son "loud whispered (LOL)" ELK, and significantly less than 10 seconds later (might have been 5) I was in the rifle sitting, on a bipod firing center of lungs at 200 yards. 3 more shots within about 15 seconds and the bull was on the ground dead. Never even thought about the reticle or anything really. I think the magnification was 4 or so. Illumination was off. Absolutely zero issues. This was not deep timber though.

If your eyes don't find the center of the crosshairs immediately, practice fast, timed shooting more until they do IMHO.

There is no perfect scope, but this one does enough stuff darn well that it's real contender for a western hunting rifle.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
There is no perfect scope, but this one does enough stuff darn well that it's real contender for a western hunting rifle.

This is a great summation of the 3-18x FFP Tenmile. As it sits right now, it and the 5-20x SWFA are the two “best” higher powered hunting scopes available all things considered.

Marshfly

WKR
Yeah I feel like I can make sacrifices elsewhere to make a 24 ounce scope work over that mythical 19 ounce one that doesn’t work (Leupold, Swaro).

Shorten the barrel. Leave the sling at home. Etc.

Get much more scope than that on a hunting rifle you have to pack around hiking and the rifle is just a pig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
I’m moving an NX8 4-32x50 Mil-C off my main hunting 6.5 CM Tikka and ready to purchase it’s replacement. Down to the Tenmile 3-18x44 or the ATACR 4-16x42 Mil-R.

Don’t really care about the 5 oz weight difference. Nor the price difference.

Not a tree reticle fan but I know those details are very visually secondary in use.

Main stadia line thickness is 0.06 mils Tenmile vs 0.05 mils ATACR, so very close.

Hmmm…