Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44mm Field Eval Q&A

m77huntr

FNG
Oof. I mean no, the SWFA 3-9x is still the best all around 0-700 yard hunting scope on the market. The SWFA 3-15x is solid as well
Have you done a drop test on the 3-15 model or is it close enough to the 3-9 model that the results should be the same?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I would just add that the SB Klassic 3-12x42 is pretty sweet, too, if you’re shooting mostly to 600 (or further if you’ve got a real flat shooter). Obviously still limited in elevation travel, but I don’t think it’s popular enough here.

Oh they tend to be good scopes, the limited elevation available just kills them for general use past 600 or so. It’s really the scope that the “I only shoot to 450 yards” people should be looking at.

Have you done a drop test on the 3-15 model or is it close enough to the 3-9 model that the results should be the same?

Not as laid out in this forum , however they are a well known commodity. Just like with the other SWFA models, they have proven to be generally extremely reliable in very hard use, with an extremely low failure rate.

Last edited:
@Formidilosus , thanks for the great review. Your initial impressions led me to pick one of these up and I've been super impressed so far. It hasn't seen near the rounds or usage as yours, but it has held zero through almost 100 rounds, multiple trips and 120 or so miles of washboard logging and forest service roads, which is more than can be said about the scope it replaced.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus , thanks for the great review. Your initial impressions led me to pick one of these up and I've been super impressed so far. It hasn't seen near the rounds or usage as yours, but it has held zero through almost 100 rounds, multiple trips and 120 or so miles of washboard logging and forest service roads, which is more than can be said about the scope it replaced.

That’s good to hear.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Thanks for doing all these tests! Totally made me re-evaluate what is my number 1 priority in a hunting rifle scope. This is probably the best information on the internet right now for scope torture tests.

Macintosh

WKR
Oh yes… lots of torture!
The point is that a small impact such as these drops really ISN’T torture or abuse, its normal for equivalent stuff like that to happen while traveling in the mountains—you can try to avoid it but it happens to everyone. This is more or less the equivalent of things like a gun on a bipod getting knocked over on dirt, or a rifle tipping over when leaned against a tree onto a soft flat surface like soft dirt. Torture or abuse means abnormal or extreme, like a rifle getting dropped off a cliff onto a rock, falling downhill with full body weight onto the rifle on scree while its strapped to your pack, etc—even that could happen to lots of people, this is just the inevitable easy stuff that most people can take for granted will happen more than once in a very long while.

Hnthrdr

WKR
The point is that a small impact such as these drops really ISN’T torture or abuse, its normal for equivalent stuff like that to happen while traveling in the mountains—you can try to avoid it but it happens to everyone. This is more or less the equivalent of things like a gun on a bipod getting knocked over on dirt, or a rifle tipping over when leaned against a tree onto a soft flat surface like soft dirt. Torture or abuse means abnormal or extreme, like a rifle getting dropped off a cliff onto a rock, falling downhill with full body weight onto the rifle on scree while its strapped to your pack, etc—even that could happen to lots of people, this is just the inevitable easy stuff that most people can take for granted will happen more than once in a very long while.
Yes poor choice of words on my part, I should have said everyday wear and tear test. It does amaze me how many companies won’t do common wear and tear tests… even one that I watched do a “torture” test they never showed the target or had any real parameters… they would shoot steel and then just say, yep it’s still hasn’t lost zero…

But but but ... no-one drops their rifle in the 'real world' ... the internet told me so!
Not in my world! I really try and respect my gear and treat it right, store it properly, clean it, etc...but I'm a walking testament of hard use. I know your comment is tongue in cheek, but I've had slings fail and have rifle hit the deck, I've flat out done dumb stuff like lean my rifle against a tree, got new rifle carriers and not fully seated the stock when mounting it (above mentioned drop).

RWT

WKR
I’ll let mine ride in the vertical caddy on the mule for 3 days straight. Absolutely covered in dust and vibrates like crazy. Forms test had me buy a Nightforce and order a Schmidt. my older Trijicon has held up well And his test confirmed it. I have an old Springfield armory I would like to test but since they are no longer made I don’t want to risk it as it sits on a deer blind only gun and 15lbs is to much to carry anywhere. The Springfield has been rock solid for 25+ years. Never had an issue with it.

Great real world test opportunity! Report back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Zero did shift. 2" left. Got it dialed back in. Not too upset considering it took a 4 foot fall onto hard concrete, and certainly could have shifted in the rings slightly. I've had other scopes shift that much from driving down unimproved roads.

Zero did shift. 2" left. Got it dialed back in. Not too upset considering it took a 4 foot fall onto hard concrete, and certainly could have shifted in the rings slightly. I've had other scopes shift that much from driving down unimproved roads.
Cool thanks for reporting back! Your mounts all good?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

That would be ideal.

Oof. I mean no, the SWFA 3-9x is still the best all around 0-700 yard hunting scope on the market. The SWFA 3-15x is solid as well...

If most use on animals will be 600 yards and under, with some past 600 out to 900 plus yards= SWFA 3-9x.

It sounds like you prefer the 3-9 to the 3-15 to at least some extent. What's the reason? I'm personally a little nervous about the lack of parallax adjustment on the 3-9...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May need to start incorporating this into the RS drop test process.

Spoiler: It lost zero.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
It sounds like you prefer the 3-9 to the 3-15 to at least some extent. What's the reason? I'm personally a little nervous about the lack of parallax adjustment on the 3-9...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Smaller and lighter, still more than enough magnification. Parallax is not a problem.