Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44mm Field Eval Q&A

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
their answer would prob be to buy a sfp HX. I imagine its tough to design a FFP reticle that works at max power that is also comparable/usable like a sfp reticle at low mag.
Companies keep saying that, it's just because they haven't actually tried

There are already a few good ones out there. The 3-18 Tenmile's is on the "bad" side of that spectrum

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
I agree it could be improved for Hunting. Lose the tree and bring the side bars in to 5 MIL on each side. But a lot of tactical/comp shooters are shooting entirely off the reticle and not dialing so I could see them liking the Tenmile reticle. Here is the Maven RS1.2 @ low power compared to the Tenmile.

Maven RS 1.2 2.5-15x44 @ 2.5x

Screenshot_20240110_203050_Samsung Internet.jpg

Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 @ 3x

Screenshot_20240110_203206_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
But a lot of tactical/comp shooters are shooting entirely off the reticle and not dialing

Who’s not dialing in PRS/NRL? The only people I have seen using the reticle for elevation corrections instead of dealing as a default are mil guys using Horus reticles, and that generally stops after their first match.

huntnful

WKR
Companies keep saying that, it's just because they haven't actually tried

There are already a few good ones out there. The 3-18 Tenmile's is on the "bad" side of that spectrum
I'd definitely have to disagree. The 3-18 tenmile is much more on the better more usable FFP reticle side, at all power ranges, compared to probably 90+% off the FFP mil reticles out there. I wish it had a little less windage and elevation stadia lines, so the heavy posts were a little closer to the center. But it's still pretty easy to line up something in those 3 heavy posts are close range. Not to mention the actual stadia part of the reticle is .06 mil thick compared to most reticles being .04 mil thick and some even thinner. So even the center of the reticle is more visible throughout all of the power ranges pretty eaasily.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I do know if you are selling two otherwise identical scopes on Snipershide, the one with the tree will sell a LOT quicker.

Do shooter's actually use the tree for competition? My experience around that is "no"

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
Who’s not dialing in PRS/NRL? The only people I have seen using the reticle for elevation corrections instead of dealing as a default are mil guys using Horus reticles, and that generally stops after their first match.
Good point. So why do you think the tree style reticles are so prevalent? Maybe to appeal to military/police who could be engaging multiple targets and multiple distances simultaneously? I agree for hunting use a simplified reticle like that in the Maven is better but the Trijicon seems usable with illumination.

Marshfly

WKR
Good point. So why do you think the tree style reticles are so prevalent? Maybe to appeal to military/police who could be engaging multiple targets and multiple distances simultaneously? I agree for hunting use a simplified reticle like that in the Maven is better but the Trijicon seems usable with illumination.
They look tacticoooool.

People buy based on emotion. At least the VAST majority do.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Because people want things for how they “think” they might use it, not for how they “actually” use it. Combined with the reality that the vast majority of use for new scopes is on ranges in good lighting conditions and the shortcomings of most thin/tree reticles don’t show themselves. Most hunting is eastern whitetails, and very few (comparatively) are using any of these types of scopes for that.

Having said that, there is a shift away from tree reticles, and reticles with lots of hashmarks, happening even for precision scopes.

NSI

WKR
The best and highest use of a tree outside the scoped carbine world is as a visual reference to pin a "splash" and use it as your new POA for rapid corrections. That's not really the mode of engagement for hunting, so it's ... an annoyance.

-J

ID_Matt

WKR
Do shooter's actually use the tree for competition? My experience around that is "no"
Just for the occasional measurement and maybe 1 in 10 stages where you may not have time to dial. Would be just fine without a tree 95% of the time, and even when you do "need" it, you could probably do without it.

To each his own... there are a lot of things I like about the tenmile ffp hx reticle, and few that I don't. I'm looking through mine at last light (last 7 minutes of legal shooting light at the moment). Reticle is easy to pick up even not illuminated, at 3x and 18x. Love the floating center dot, for some reason it just works for me for being more precise shooting groups, i like it better than the floating cross hair in the nxs, but it's a close margin. I don't use the "tree" much, but I'd personally rather have it and not need it, than to not have it and need it...

To each his own... there are a lot of things I like about the tenmile ffp hx reticle, and few that I don't. I'm looking through mine at last light (last 7 minutes of legal shooting light at the moment). Reticle is easy to pick up even not illuminated, at 3x and 18x. Love the floating center dot, for some reason it just works for me for being more precise shooting groups, i like it better than the floating cross hair in the nxs, but it's a close margin. I don't use the "tree" much, but I'd personally rather have it and not need it, than to not have it and need it...
Agreed - I'm right there with you. Prefer the reticle to my SHV. I shoot for fun and spot for friends and it's helpful as a built in ruler. Illumination is always there when needed.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Please change your minds about having mosquito nets in your optics. You will never "need it". This is why we cannot have nice things

In all seriousness though, the stadia themselves are absolutely fine. (Although we could do with 6MILs of windage instead of 12) And I also like the floating dot the best for an aiming point. It could be worse

Marshfly

WKR
I like the dot also. I also liked it on the SWFA 6x MOA version. I just swapped that scope for a Mil vision with another forum member so I'm sure I will miss it some.

I find that dot centers my eye on distant targets significantly better than a normal crosshair, ESPECIALLY when using less magnification so I can spot shots and see if an animal moves after the shot.

ZAR EC

FNG
I dont really understand the like/dislike between floating dot vs non floating centre xhair. Where I shoot the wind is always blowing so the centre only gets used for zero checks at 100 and that's it.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
I don't use the "tree" much, but I'd personally rather have it and not need it, than to not have it and need it...
In my experience the only time the tree is "needed" is shooting "no dial" and some short time limit, multiple target stages in matches.

I have a pretty good system for dialing quickly and avoid using the tree at all costs. My hit % goes down 10-20% using the tree. Also, if you don't have your dope memorized and become very familiar with the tree, there is zero chance it will be faster than dialing. If you take your eye out of the scope, you could dial faster than most people can find the correct spot in the tree. Lastly, you do not need a tree to hold off. Before the targets started getting smaller, I hit 2 moa and larger targets just fine holding of with a g2b mil dot (no tree).

After using a tree extensively, I much prefer not to have one in the way for most shooting, and my opinion is that they are completely useless unless you practice a lot with them.

After double and triple checking. It looks like my reticle is canted and is not aligned with the turrets/scope body. Has anyone else had this issue with theirs? Only way to get the reticle vertical to the rifle was to use a plum line.

Marshfly

WKR
After double and triple checking. It looks like my reticle is canted and is not aligned with the turrets/scope body. Has anyone else had this issue with theirs? Only way to get the reticle vertical to the rifle was to use a plum line.
Have you checked tracking? Level a target at 100 yards then level the rifle. Then spin that dude all the way up and see if it tracks true to the reticle or true to the scope body.

The result of that is up to you whether to send it back or not. I don't know that I have seen any reports of Trijicon warranty work so it would be nice to see how they handle it.