Trigger finger placement

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I was recently watching a knock on video and he was saying that with a release like the spot Hogg wise guys release you should use the middle part of your index finger Instead of the the end. Anybody have input on this? I'm going to mess around a little bit with it but wanted to see what other people thought about it

Use the middle "dumb" part of the index finger and shoot with back tension for the long haul. Otherwise many of us get target panic. The tip is too sensitive and you want to achieve a "surprise" release rather than commanding the release. Several good videos and books (Bernie Pellerite's) on this. Good luck!

I saw that too, weird because I'd have to readjust bow if I set my releases up with the trigger on the middle joint. Or change my anchor point.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I saw that too, weird because I'd have to readjust bow if I set my releases up with the trigger on the middle joint. Or change my anchor point.

Now is the time to do it. Might even get you an additional half inch of draw length if you shorten your release length and keep your same anchor point. That is probably the better approach...downside is you might need new arrows.

Concur with above. Got me more draw length and improved my shooting. Matter of fact a lot of releases can't go short enough to do it. I shoot a Carter Like Mike and I have it about as short as it will go.

I stumbled into this myself a couple of months ago, I ended up having to buy a new release that would allow enough adjustment to get the middle part of my finger over the trigger. It makes sense when you think about it, I equate it to shooting a rifle/pistol, you're supposed to do the same thing so that the shot is more of a surprise.

jspradley

WKR
My Trump-hands are too small for that but I put the trigger in the inner crease of the first knuckle and pull through with back tension to release the bow. I know that there is some trigger finger movement to release it but I don't make a conscious "trigger press" and instead focus on driving the back of my arm back through back tension until the bow releases.

Now is the time to do it. Might even get you an additional half inch of draw length if you shorten your release length and keep your same anchor point. That is probably the better approach...downside is you might need new arrows.
Bigger issue would be finding cam modules for draw length change, my newest bow is 2014 I believe. My PSE bow does allow infinite draw length adjustment.

I tried a hook style release and returned it for that very reason, when adjusted to work with my current setup the trigger was way out at the tip of my finger.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Check on Ebay. I just picked up mods for a 2011 Elite for $19.99.

I would honestly go to a shop and shoot/pull back a couple bows with a slightly longer draw length. I have been shooting too short of a bow for the last 8 years and went to test drive some new bows and could immediately feel a difference in comfort and back muscle tension (could actually feel it) with a longer draw.

I bit the bullet and sold the dozen arrows I had JUST bought and built. It was not fun, but I am excited to be shooting a proper draw length and heavier arrows.

With that said, I did feel that the shop was pushing longer draw lengths as a trend, so I went half an inch shorter on the mods I bought, but kept the arrows long enough to go another half inch if I wanted.

I’ve been shooting a Carter Like Mike index trigger as well. I have it set short so I can hook it around the trigger in between the first and second joint of my index finger.

Only problem I have with it is I draw back with my finger behind the trigger, and when I come to anchor, it’s difficult to move my finger over the trigger in position to shoot without moving my anchor point on my face.

Otherwise, I think this is the best way to use the release (with back tension) as others have said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk