Scott S2? Carter Like Mike 2? Tru Ball Execution?

OP
B
I am thinking I may sell the RX1 and go the dark side fully…..and only shoot with the handheld thumb trigger. Recent range days has shown in much more accurate with my carter too simple. I get punchy….

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
I am thinking I may sell the RX1 and go the dark side fully…..and only shoot with the handheld thumb trigger. Recent range days has shown in much more accurate with my carter too simple. I get punchy….
Not sure if the springs serve the same thing on the RX1 versus the trigger tension adjustment screw on the Stan Solex… the Solex allows you to adjust both the trigger travel and tension. The tension can be set to work in similar fashion to a hinge when tightened down. This might help with the punchlines you described.

It also has a smaller head size/lighter in weight than the rx1 when I compared side by side…the Scott S2 head is huge btw.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
I think that is why I like my SoleX so much. It is so small and light that I hardly know it's there but is quick to put in service when you need it. I adjusted my tension screw heavy and it is easy for me to have good pull through shots. I get a good wrap of my thumb around the trigger and that helps avoid the punching. I find that I have good days and bad days with accuracy on both my index and handheld thumb releases and sometimes one overrides the other for tight groups. Simply put, I could never sell an index and just go solely with a handheld, probably because I have over 40 years with an index and only a very short time with a thumb release. Both have their pros and cons. With my thumb release, I have to tell myself to aim, aim, aim and with my index's, I have to tell myself to aim, aim, aim and aim.

OP
B
Not sure if the springs serve the same thing on the RX1 versus the trigger tension adjustment screw on the Stan Solex… the Solex allows you to adjust both the trigger travel and tension. The tension can be set to work in similar fashion to a hinge when tightened down. This might help with the punchlines you described.

It also has a smaller head size/lighter in weight than the rx1 when I compared side by side…the Scott S2 head is huge btw.
The head size is a huge factor for me. I was concerned the RX1 would be too big, but it’s not. It is roughly the size of the xtinction 2 I was using before. The sole x has me thinking for sure. I am trying to make a data driven decision objectively. The last two days of shooting it was clear with both arrow flight and groups the handheld was superior. But something about the thought of no index release seems so ghastly….

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Ghastly , pretty much how I feel about my first index release, my Scott Little Goose. I doubt I'd ever get rid of it because it's been faithful for many years ever since it came out. To me,the Little Goose is a hair trigger but I have learned to master it through the years and even use back tension with it,however,I am really liking the SoleX with it's features and a more consistent pull through shot with less chance of target panic. I can still command the shot if need be. I probably would have been just as happy with the RX1 have I had an opportunity to try it.

OP
B
The Little Goose is a great release! My first was the Scott Itty Bitty Goose. Loved it for years! I put up the RX1 in the classifieds to use the funds for a second (backup Carter too simple) handheld. I figure if I am going in, I’m going all in on the handheld and will need a second in case the primary fails. I am going to watch the classifieds for a used Solex though.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Certainly nothing wrong with the Too Simple. I have the Wise Choice and like it very well. I also like how it has a tether for my wrist in case it becomes my hunting thumb release. The tether is also nice for the back yard practice for just dropping the release from the hand so you can pull arrows.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
I just tried out a Scott S2 today. I shot ten times with one arrow and it is a good thing I did. All ten shots were in the bullseye from 20 yards. I would have destroyed my arrows. To say the S2 impressed me is an understatement. I shoot my SoleX just as well but the S2 does have a substantial feel and weight to it. I found that a pro, actually. The trigger is sweet with a nice curve to it and fits comfortably. I didn't make any adjustments to it, choosing to keep it on the factory settings which I found just right for my shot execution with back tension. Setting the hook was easy. If I had to pick between my SoleX and the S2, it would be very hard for me to choose. Going the SoleX route though will save you money, for sure. A big plus for the S2 that I found today was the strap. It is nice and comfortable and has a lot of holes for adjustment. Small wrists won't have a problem.

OP
B
Man this is great. I don't have an S2 anywhere close to me. If the solex can come close that helps a bunch. It's much cheaper. Is the head on the S2 big? It looks rather large as others have mentioned. Thank you for the comparison. Appreciat it.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Man this is great. I don't have an S2 anywhere close to me. If the solex can come close that helps a bunch. It's much cheaper. Is the head on the S2 big? It looks rather large as others have mentioned. Thank you for the comparison. Appreciat it.
Yes, the head is big but then it has to be because it is a 2 sear release where as the SoleX is a 1 sear. I never seen a Carter Like Mike 2 other then in pictures and reviews but the S2 is probably close to it's size, just by the looks of it. The SoleX on your wrist feels like nothing, it's a feather compared to the S2. You hardly know it's there where as the S2 is felt hanging from the wrist. You wonder how the SoleX, being so small and light could possibly hold up to the draw cycle of heavy bows, but it does. Unless you are going to keep changing the weight on your bow or changing from one bow to another, I see no advantage to a 2 sear release. There are things I like a lot about the S2 but then again, there are things I like about my SoleX just as well. They are both different but in a good way. Both are a fantastic release in my opinion. I have both adjusted to where I like them, unlike my Scott Little Goose with it's roller bearing hair trigger that I shot for so many years. The hair trigger did nothing good for my target panic issue.

OP
B
Ya it makes a lot of sense. I don’t change my poundage a whole lot at all. I played around with 75# but decided I didn’t need that. I’m getting older and have damage my shoulder in my younger days so I dropped down. I usually run 65-70 which is where I’ll stay for awhile. I think I am going to try the solex. I’m going to shop the classified as I have seen a few pop up while I shoot my handheld in the off season. Thanks for your thoughts. It helped to provide clarity.

That is good to know your comparison to the Wiseguy. I have shot them and they have a very light trigger for sure. I am looking for something just a bit heavier, but not a lot more than the Wiseguy. I just ordered a Carter Rx1 to try. If I don't like it I'll PM you as I know you mentioned a trade if you don't sell the LM2. Thanks!
That seems like a release you will like. I had one for awhile, at the time I was looking for a really heavy trigger, couldn’t get it as heavy as I wanted, so I moved it along, but besides that, it was a seemingly great release.

I still haven’t found what I was looking for, thought I did with the xtinction 2, but ultimately started having reliability problems

I’m either going to get a like mike 2 or go all the way off the rails and get an onnex click, but I don’t love thumb buttons

I want a release that I can shoot a heavy trigger in the off season, and lighten up a little for hunting… not really a lot of good options, because like you, I need a very short release too, reaching with your index finger is a recipe for bad shooting habits for me

Pramo

WKR
I'm using an Rx1 and pressed out the magnetic stop then cut down a perfectly fitting drill big and pressed it back in it's place. I have no idea what you need an auto return on a release and this solved the magnet picking up junk