Scott verge: you gotta try it to see what I mean

If you're like me and you love archery and like to tinker, you have a pegboard wall full of releases you've tried.

I've shot a ton.

Old school wrist rockets set so light a passing butterfly might make it go off

New school index releases set so heavy I have to bend my draw stop pegs to make them go

Thumb buttons

Resistance activated releases

Hinges galore

And I like them all for various reasons.
The past few seasons I've run the nocktoit, Silverback, carter honey 2, nockon backstrap, b3 hawk, like mike 2, 3 finger wise choice, scott longhorn hunter, scott ascent and a couple of others. Ive killed deer and turkeys and bears and elk with different releases and before each season I basically do a shoot off to see which I'm going to use for the first hunts of the year. The last couple of years I've become enamored with my shot process thanks to Joel Turner and ShotIQ so I have started to test which releases allow me to work through my shot properly. I can tell you the last time exactly that target panic almost got me. I was at full draw on the ground on a strutting turkey, 5 yards no blind and my b3 hawk wasn't going off. I was pulling so hard the bow was creaking and my mind was screaming at me "ITS NOT GOING OFF ITS NOT GOING OFF PUNCH IT PUNCH IT PUNCH IT" but I evaluated what was going on, realized I had a death grip on the strap of the release, took a deep breath restarted my shot process and shot that turkey right through the pump house.

Since that day I had almost entirely switched to hunting with a button. I have always made my best shots with a button set moderate with absolutely no travel and using the technique that George Riles teaches of relaxing the hand and pulling it past the button I've been able to make some excellent shots on game at both short and very long distances without a hitch.

Fast forward to this past year's elk hunt. Not only did I lose a release on the mountain, I realized that for me and especially when elk hunting I wanted my release connected to me at all times so I would have one less step when locking an arrow and making a shot in the heat of the moment. An index just makes sense in this case.

I revisited my cillection of index releases. I really like the like mike because it's an open hook, but I find that in high pressure situations I missed having the click of my hinge to bring me back into my shot sequence.

I had seen the scott verge before and laughed at it because well, it's ugly. A 2 finger index thats a hybrid half a hinge? Oh cmon

I had seen Snyder recommend it but sometimes I take his recommendations with a grain of salt. After shooting the last two deer of the season with different releases, one with the like mike and one with my 3 finger wise choice I was committed to trying something new to see how it would work.

So I got the verge.

At first I was not overly impressed. The travel after the click was long, and it didn't fit quite right.

I decided to commit to it and after adjusting and tinkering with the strap length and wrist strap tightness I got it to hit a real sweet spot. I shortened up the travel after the click, shortened the strap and learned to run the wrist strap more loose to allow me to pull through it. Having the click to increase my presence of mind and start my shot sequence at the same exact spot every time is exactly what I was looking for. I've been shooting it daily at ranges between 20 and 110 yards, and I'm honestly hooked on it. I like it so much I'm going to kill my spring turkey with it and will be using it as my primary going forward.

Yes it's ugly.

But damn, it's a really great concept.

I pull to the click with my fingers, then tension up and just pull through the shot relaxing my hand just like I would a hinge.

No risk for AD on let down. No weirdness with different lengths of pull based on starting point. The click is loud enough to pull my mind to my shot sequence and even in the wind I can break great shots at long distance. Far better than I can with a normal hinge.

If you're searching for a release that bridges the gap between hinge and index. This is truly a remarkable and innovative way to do it. I wish every index had a click.

satchamo

WKR
I bought one to play with and I never made it past that. To me you’re still gonna punch if you punch in the heat of the moment, click or not. I’ll take a hinge myself.

But it is a good idea and it does bridge a gap for those who don’t want or don’t know how to use a hinge - especially for hunting. But I think it’s just a gateway to eventual hinge shooting ;)

OP
E
Is it an actual trigger or tension based?

I like the design.
It's a single sear trigger, just like the b3 hawk, or a Stan solex etc. It's not as crisp as the like mike but very very good if you adjust your travel and get it how you like

OP
E
I bought one to play with and I never made it past that. To me you’re still gonna punch if you punch in the heat of the moment, click or not. I’ll take a hinge myself.

But it is a good idea and it does bridge a gap for those who don’t want or don’t know how to use a hinge - especially for hunting. But I think it’s just a gateway to eventual hinge shooting ;)
I'm not a puncher, or at least haven't been in years. The issue I have with Hinges for hunting are odd angle shots, needing to let down and the way that my anchor changes shooting from a tree vs the ground. I have shot a few deer with a hinge now and I'll do it again I'm sure, but this stays on my wrist and I don't have to stress about it if I have to let down when the deer or turkey walks out of the shooting lane etc.

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot trad too. If you don't think I over analyze that you underestimate my ability to zone out on a meeting at work and go to my happy place
Amen to this, I am like this with reloading. in regards to arrow release i find the more a technique shines in competition/target archery the more hiccups I encounter with it in hunting clothes/situations. Heavy and crude actually has advantages. But i am so old I call traditional archery......just archery.

OP
E
Amen to this, I am like this with reloading. in regards to arrow release i find the more a technique shines in competition/target archery the more hiccups I encounter with it in hunting clothes/situations. Heavy and crude actually has advantages. But i am so old I call traditional archery......just archery.
We call that well seasoned and educated by time.

I think simple makes sense for the moment of truth that's one reason I moved away from a hinge for hunting

Did my click already go when I drew?
Did I over rotate and I'm about to send an arrow?
Oh shoot now I have to let down
OK here I go, pull pull pull WAIT THERES A FAWN NOW

that sort of thing lol