Trigger Failure

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
A few other threads have brought up Triggers Failing to fire.

Here is the question. Who here has been on an animal and the trigger would not fire/release? BE HONEST!

I have had it happen twice both times with a Jewell on a 700 clone. It was also in freezing rain conditions and the temperature dropped right before sunset essentially freezing the trigger up.

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve only heard of it, I’ve had plenty of primer failure to fires.

92xj

WKR
Does duck hunting count for you questionnaire?

Rifles - never
Shotguns - more than I want to know. They all have sub 10 degrees and water as the reasoning.

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
I had an xp-100 trigger freeze up in similar conditions. Once it was warmed up it worked fine

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Really killing the resell on a couple triggers I'm gonna be posting here soon Ryan

My dad had 1 fail on a pump shotgun way back when they shipped them with tons of grease.
Well the trigger did not fail.
The grease on firing pin locked it up.

Brother got his muzzy wet and had to shove the load. Guess powder dumped in the trigger and locked that up.

I had it happen to me more than 2 decades back. I was on what I have no doubt been a new state record Blacktail. It ended up being a broken spring responsible for the failure. It costs me that buck.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Well the trigger did not fail.
The grease on firing pin locked it up.

Had this happen to my wife on her first buck hunt. Factory grease packed into the bolt froze. Ended up working out as the buck spooked with all the commotion. 2 days later she killed a much bigger deer!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR

Here is the question. Who here has been on an animal and the trigger would not fire/release? BE HONEST!

I have had it happen twice both times with a Jewell on a 700 clone. It was also in freezing rain conditions and the temperature dropped right before sunset essentially freezing the trigger up.
I've had it happen. Rem 700 2506. Blizzard cold, deer at 50 yds. Firing pin froze up, was able to work action and reset pin, went off 2nd time around.

2nd hand, my uncle had rem 700 freeze up and not fire. The lubricant froze.

rayporter

WKR
my bud had a bull lined up and had a FTF. he sat behind a log with bolt out of his howa heating it with a bic until it would fire. killed the bull.

i almost had the same thing but that morning i sat around the stove heating my bolt and trigger for a half hour. they laughed at me but i killed and they dont know if their rifle would have fired.
it had rained all day the day before and the temperature dropped to single digits.

love my jewels but i have had multiple failures on the firing line. to the point that i can take one apart and wipe it down and be shooting in 30 minutes. i have never found the dirt that locked it up yet.

Sled

WKR
Sounds like it's time to sleep with boots and rifle in the sleeping bag.

I've never had one fail to fire on an animal but outside of icing issues, which can take down any mechanical device, I'd have faith in trigger tech and Tikka triggers until proven otherwise.

Not on an animal but first time shooting one doing the 20 shot “barrel break in” in 10 degree temps I was getting one out of five not firing and when I got home and pulled it apart everything was packed with pink grease that I assume was getting gummed up and no issues since

LightFoot

WKR

Only time that I had a failure to fire was when the chamber was empty. As a kid, it happened on a special youth hunt where I missed the biggest whitetail I had ever seen.

So, operator failure, not trigger failure.

It has not happened since.

>>>----JAKE----->

Felix40

WKR
I had a factory remington 600 trigger fail in the opposite (and worse) way. Closed the bolt and the hammer dropped. I cycled it on an empty chamber a bunch of times and it did it every time. I had to replace it but I still have the rifle.

USMC-40

WKR
seen a few 'cock-fires' on M40 series rifles. Three total. More of a sear spring issue, than purely a trigger issue.

I had one this year in Idaho. Triggertech Special in my 280ai. After 4 days of hunting in the rain and snow it froze up when I had a muley in the crosshairs. Sear wouldn’t engage. Luckily the buck stood there while I worked the bolt and blew hot air into the trigger until it engaged and I got a shot in him.