Tract Toric UltraHD 3-15x50mm Q&A

JCMCUBIC

WKR
Lots of talk about the sample size of one. The prior two similar tests on 24hrcampfire are consistent with these results. That's 3 for 3....

True. It should be noted that the SWFA 6x42 also failed on the campfire test, just like the Toric.

I feel like the test I did there was to much to ask of most scopes. 3 drops from shoulder height (~5 foot), directly on the scope - no padding.

It was a poor setup for the testing regarding the target. It was a 12x12 plate at 200 yards. It should have been at 100 yards, on paper/cardboard big enough to measure the miss. A true measure of change of impact would have been hard to measure on the steel.

Form's method is a better test all the way around.

Worth noting, both the 2-10 Toric and the 6x SWFA in those tests have been used and dialed with since. They have both been dependable and done a fair amount of dialing since.

sndmn11

WKR
To test zero retention wouldn't you need a statistically accurate zero each time a scope was mounted? So more like 10-20rds per scope to establish your accuracy "cone" or "true zero". Then you could drop and see if shots land outside the true zero.
Really just arguing sematics... with most scopes it seems pretty apparent whether they work or not.. ie scopes that loose zero loose it in a very noticeable fashion. That being the case, 70-100rds to test 10 scopes is probably a decent estimate. Cheers

I think your last part is my reasoning.

If I were to have a rifle and ammo that is under 2" and I shot a bore sight, adjusted and fired two near the center of my 2" dot then I would feel comfortable starting the 7 shot drop test.

If I then found that all shots fell within my 2" but were centered on the left edge of my dot it would warrant further testing.

The next steps in the process of return to zero, and adjustment values would provide more information as to if my zero is indeed left an inch but my two "zero shots" were just the right edge of the cone.

I'd make that adjustment and try the drop test again.

However, I think that when things have gone wonky, it hasn't left any gray area and expediting the process is a fair choice.

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder if the 1” tube is more susceptible to failure than the larger tubes. The 30mm Toric Hunting Scope I reviewed, and posted results here on Rokslide, performed perfectly.

John

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I wonder if the 1” tube is more susceptible to failure than the larger tubes. The 30mm Toric Hunting Scope I reviewed, and posted results here on Rokslide, performed perfectly.

John
John - can you please point me to the post?

sndmn11

WKR

From what you wrote at the time, it sounds less than perfect. Looks like a potential 2" shift from 18" drops to 36" drops with you questioning the results from the 18" drops.

0587-C00-C-0-E39-4836-ACB8-D24-EBEB7-E75-E.jpg

The test consist of three drops from 18” and 36” on the left side, three on the right side, and three on the top, followed by a ten shot group after each series of three drops. The idea is that with a 30 shot group size established, each successive ten shot group should fall within the 30 shot group.

That is how it should work, but I kinda screwed that up all by myself.

After the thirty round group, I was out of ammo for the day but wasn't entirely satisfied with the zero, so I made the an adjustment and slipped the turrets to zero but did so without verifying the adjustment.
So, a few days later on the first post- drop group (18” left side) you see a POI shift from the 30 round group.

Was this from the drops, or from my unverified adjustment? I wasn't sure, so I continued the test. The next drops, 18” on the right side, revealed no change in POI or group size from the previous group, nor did the 18” drops on the elevation turret. So far, so good. The 3' drops were the same. Same POI and group size with no shift noted that couldn't be accounted for by the size of the original 30 round group.

CF8-C83-D0-3-C1-D-462-E-99-EC-8039-BBE40-FB6.jpg

PNWGATOR

WKR
03AFCE45-2783-4F9D-8E3B-EFFB745C6574.png
@JW@TRACT,
Highly encouraged by Tract’s response and commitment to utilizing these tests to engineer and construct a scope that is reliable, accurate and precise, designed from the ground up for function.

The Rokslide community, and the shooting world, is ready for this commitment from a manufacturer!

Please keep us posted on when we can expect THE scope Tract has engineered and manufactured that meets Rokslide standards.

Lookijg forward to @JW@TRACT keeping everyone posted on these developments!

BjornF16

WKR
View attachment 495886
@JW@TRACT,
Highly encouraged by Tract’s response and commitment to utilizing these tests to engineer and construct a scope that is reliable, accurate and precise, designed from the ground up for function.

The Rokslide community, and the shooting world, is ready for this commitment from a manufacturer!

Please keep us posted on when we can expect THE scope Tract has engineered and manufactured that meets Rokslide standards.

@JW@TRACT response has been deleted…does that mean Tract doesn’t support his response?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 495886
@JW@TRACT,

Man, wouldn't that be great!!

Randy

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
From what you wrote at the time, it sounds less than perfect. Looks like a potential 2" shift from 18" drops to 36" drops with you questioning the results from the 18" drops.
There was no shift from 18” to 36”. There was possibly a shift from the 30 round zero, but I can’t say that with certainty because I made an adjustment in my attempt to refine the thirty round zero and did not verify it before the 18” drop test. You can see in the pics that there was no shift from 18” to 36” drops, which leads me to believe it held up to the 18” drops too.

I absolutely wish I verified my zero change before continuing with the drop test, but after seeing consistent POI with every single group when dropped from 18 and 36”, I am confident that scope is working well.

John

sndmn11

WKR
There was no shift from 18” to 36”. There was possibly a shift from the 30 round zero, but I can’t say that with certainty because I made an adjustment in my attempt to refine the thirty round zero and did not verify it before the 18” drop test. You can see in the pics that there was no shift from 18” to 36” drops, which leads me to believe it held up to the 18” drops too.

I absolutely wish I verified my zero change before continuing with the drop test, but after seeing consistent POI with every single group when dropped from 18 and 36”, I am confident that scope is working well.

John

It looks like one high left in the 18" left side, three left on 36" left, 2 on 36" right, and two low left on 36" top.

Why not test it again firing a single shot after each drop? I believe the purpose for that being the protocol is to eliminate variables; the bullet holes I reference above could be the first of the group then the erector unbinds to return.

It looks to me like you and your rifle placed a nice 30 round group, then in the zero retention tests had several shots outside that demonstration. It would be great to see the zero retention test repeated following the 7 shot protocol since Tract is reluctant to get this scope into other hands.

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like one high left in the 18" left side, three left on 36" left, 2 on 36" right, and two low left on 36" top.

Why not test it again firing a single shot after each drop? I believe the purpose for that being the protocol is to eliminate variables; the bullet holes I reference above could be the first of the group then the erector unbinds to return.

It looks to me like you and your rifle placed a nice 30 round group, then in the zero retention tests had several shots outside that demonstration. It would be great to see the zero retention test repeated following the 7 shot protocol since Tract is reluctant to get this scope into other hands.
I kinda see your concern with the flyers but the groups don’t look any larger to me than the thirty round group, so are they flyers? I wish I could run that test again, but that scope is now in Alaska…

John

Wrongside

WKR
And just like that, we’re back to obscurity. Back to being shady, when we thought there was hope. Disappointing! Wth Tract? Walk the talk!
LOL. And it makes zero sense deleting his post. Half the responses since, have it quoted already and those don’t go away. Wacky. 🤪

SDHNTR

WKR
LOL. And it makes zero sense deleting his post. Half the responses since, have it quoted already and those don’t go away. Wacky. 🤪
Very true. They are doing themselves more harm than good at this point. Shady and evasive business practices never pay off.

ElPollo

WKR
I think it’s early and unwarranted to call lack of response from Tract being shady. Tract has been following the sort of industry standards that most optics companies are using and there is nothing wrong with that. The point of the drop tests is to call attention to those standards and advocate for change. If Tract annd other companies are going to learn and adapt from these test results to change those industry standards, it doesn’t happen over night. Designing, engineering, and producing a new or updated product can take years. Honestly, the best thing the company could do is respond as they have and then evaluate where to go next. We should give them some time to do that before flinging insults at them.