Tracking Big Mule Deer

venado mula

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Robby, I really enjoyed your discussion about tracking. I find it to be the coolest game of cat and mouse with big bucks. I find in my area that tracking and still hunting work best, but then again I'm only targeting giant bucks (I've never seen a 180"+ buck through glass, only face to face) and they only tend to hang out in places I would not consider mule deer habitat in my area. Once I imprinted the track size and characteristic of a giant buck track, it sticks out like a sore thumb even amongst larger buck tracks and elk tracks I've found. I used to be a Wildlife and Chronic Wasting Disease Technician and I came to the conclusion that Wildlife Management is mostly people management and the biologists are the nuts and bolts of the true science and every hunter should have a relationship with the biologist in the area you hunt. I have two biologists in my area on speed dial and talk with them quite frequently, but I'm a lonely, mule deer only, obsessed big buck hunter, so I might be an outlier. You're right though, opportunity gives possibilities, so I just want the opportunity to pursue big bucks every year. Nature will decide how big the bucks grow, we just need to ensure we all have the opportunity to hunt them and afford to hunt them forever in a sustainable matter.

Thanks Robby, my horses have been busy, and it is go time in the remote backcountry chasing those giant bucks. Good looking out this season sir.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Robby, I really enjoyed your discussion about tracking. I find it to be the coolest game of cat and mouse with big bucks. I find in my area that tracking and still hunting work best, but then again I'm only targeting giant bucks (I've never seen a 180"+ buck through glass, only face to face) and they only tend to hang out in places I would not consider mule deer habitat in my area. Once I imprinted the track size and characteristic of a giant buck track, it sticks out like a sore thumb even amongst larger buck tracks and elk tracks I've found. I used to be a Wildlife and Chronic Wasting Disease Technician and I came to the conclusion that Wildlife Management is mostly people management and the biologists are the nuts and bolts of the true science and every hunter should have a relationship with the biologist in the area you hunt. I have two biologists in my area on speed dial and talk with them quite frequently, but I'm a lonely, mule deer only, obsessed big buck hunter, so I might be an outlier. You're right though, opportunity gives possibilities, so I just want the opportunity to pursue big bucks every year. Nature will decide how big the bucks grow, we just need to ensure we all have the opportunity to hunt them and afford to hunt them forever in a sustainable matter.

Thanks Robby, my horses have been busy, and it is go time in the remote backcountry chasing those giant bucks. Good looking out this season sir.
thanks Steve and always good to hear from you.

Horses are ready!

Deer should be in good shape coming off this winter, although not near as many around as 2022...

just need some good tracking snow and a track!

Good episode and it’s a great chapter in the book!

“Paying attention to the tracks” is what got these two bucks of mine killed.

First one was a few years ago after I read Robby’s book. Wyoming general unit and a nice deer for that unit/year. I caught a glimpse of him scouting and hunted him on and off for a little over a week. Could not figure out where he was living but picked up a big buck track that I figured belonged to him. A hillside he was crossing to get water probably at night. I could only glass it from about 1.5 miles away or still hunt it…got lucky and saw him bed before the sun was up and ended up killing him.

D681EB7C-BB97-4B7F-9F3E-DF5BFA944003.jpeg

Second one was in Nevada on a really good draw tag couple years ago. Low deer density high desert stuff. I found what I assume to be his track—no mistaking that big, blocky look of a big track! He ended up essentially walking straight to me while I was glassing and looking for him; shot him at maybe 30 yards after we had a stare down. He’s a hair over 190 gross. I still have his foot in the freezer as a reminder of what a big buck track looks like because it’s been a while since I’ve seen one 😂

2FD3EF7D-88CA-455D-8A98-C8EF7AD32AFD.jpeg011DF38A-D70B-43D9-82D5-98058F6ACB97.jpeg

dancyr3

FNG
Really enjoyed this one! I have gone back and listened to it a few times on Spotify. I never would have thought tracking was something I could use to find deer. I always just looked down and thought there was a big deer in the area. Now if they are fresh I will follow them a little up hill and down wind

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good episode and it’s a great chapter in the book!

“Paying attention to the tracks” is what got these two bucks of mine killed.

First one was a few years ago after I read Robby’s book. Wyoming general unit and a nice deer for that unit/year. I caught a glimpse of him scouting and hunted him on and off for a little over a week. Could not figure out where he was living but picked up a big buck track that I figured belonged to him. A hillside he was crossing to get water probably at night. I could only glass it from about 1.5 miles away or still hunt it…got lucky and saw him bed before the sun was up and ended up killing him.

View attachment 729768

Second one was in Nevada on a really good draw tag couple years ago. Low deer density high desert stuff. I found what I assume to be his track—no mistaking that big, blocky look of a big track! He ended up essentially walking straight to me while I was glassing and looking for him; shot him at maybe 30 yards after we had a stare down. He’s a hair over 190 gross. I still have his foot in the freezer as a reminder of what a big buck track looks like because it’s been a while since I’ve seen one 😂

View attachment 729770View attachment 729769
Heck yaaaa!!!! And love that last pic of the hoof.

I notice they shrink in the freezer but still hold the shape.

👍👍👍