Tracking Big Mule Deer

venado mula

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Robby, I really enjoyed your discussion about tracking. I find it to be the coolest game of cat and mouse with big bucks. I find in my area that tracking and still hunting work best, but then again I'm only targeting giant bucks (I've never seen a 180"+ buck through glass, only face to face) and they only tend to hang out in places I would not consider mule deer habitat in my area. Once I imprinted the track size and characteristic of a giant buck track, it sticks out like a sore thumb even amongst larger buck tracks and elk tracks I've found. I used to be a Wildlife and Chronic Wasting Disease Technician and I came to the conclusion that Wildlife Management is mostly people management and the biologists are the nuts and bolts of the true science and every hunter should have a relationship with the biologist in the area you hunt. I have two biologists in my area on speed dial and talk with them quite frequently, but I'm a lonely, mule deer only, obsessed big buck hunter, so I might be an outlier. You're right though, opportunity gives possibilities, so I just want the opportunity to pursue big bucks every year. Nature will decide how big the bucks grow, we just need to ensure we all have the opportunity to hunt them and afford to hunt them forever in a sustainable matter.

Thanks Robby, my horses have been busy, and it is go time in the remote backcountry chasing those giant bucks. Good looking out this season sir.