Tough moose meat?

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
Before I shot my bull I had talked to a few people who all said keeping anything for steaks outside of the back straps and tenderloins would be a waste.

I shot my bull (aged at 4 years) at 9am, had it back to the truck by 5-6pm, and boned it out that night before putting it in coolers. I cut some steaks when we got back, put some lawry’s on them, and let them sit for a day in the refrigerator. They were excellent, not chewy at all.

Define tough? I’ve not had a moose (13 years straight) be as tender as a cow. Some are tougher than others but my preferred method is grinding and stew meat. I don’t do many roasts or steaks, though this year’s bull might be the most tender one I’ve harvested yet, but still not tender compared to a cow.

My experience with wild game is it’s always a little tough compared to anything bought in the store. My theory is because the wild game are in shape compared to their fat and lazy farm raised peers.

Tmac

WKR
Good to know Im not the only one thats had this issue but it sure is disappointing for everyone.
We just ground most of the steaks later and still enjoyed the great tasting hamburger. Nothing, short of 6-8 hours in a slow cooker, was making that steak palatable. Several locals near Jackson told me some are just tough. I now believe them.

PMcGee

WKR
The moose I killed year ago was in full rut and the meat was tough and stunk so bad that it was hardly edible. I literally could not stand to eat it. It just smelled like bull piss the entire time I was cooking it. I was very careful when I was 1/4'ing it up and everything to keep the meat clean and to keep my knives clean. But it still smelled terrible. I ended up giving most of it away because I couldn't stomach it. Everyone else said how wonderful it was??!!. lol

The moose my wife killed a few years later was very good and tender.

The bull I killed was the same way. Every time I cooked it I could smell it. Everyone I gave meat to loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wrench

WKR
Define tough? I’ve not had a moose (13 years straight) be as tender as a cow. Some are tougher than others but my preferred method is grinding and stew meat. I don’t do many roasts or steaks, though this year’s bull might be the most tender one I’ve harvested yet, but still not tender compared to a cow.

My experience with wild game is it’s always a little tough compared to anything bought in the store. My theory is because the wild game are in shape compared to their fat and lazy farm raised peers.
I have had maybe 2 or 3 deer or elk that I couldn't cut a rare steak with a fork and way north of 50 that could be fork cut.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Mine was an 11.5 year old Shiras cow from here in WA. The other moose I helped with from WA was an old bull that was so tough the burger was kinda gnarly. Had some meat from a very large bull from Manitoba (IIRC) that was fantastic, very tender.

TaperPin

WKR
As a kid we had a lot of moose, but I don’t recall any of it being extra tough - just reminded me of grass fed beef, which is tough. Marinades are your friend to soften them up. The butcher shop I worked at part time in school, would run steaks through the tenderizer for a slight up charge - also helps the marinade soak in better.

roymunson

WKR
Well, we're trying another way today. packed in kosher salt overnight then rinse the salt off and flat iron grill it. Not too optimistic. It's just a dense cut of meat.

If this doesn't work, we'll slow cook it in a crock pot and keep the whitetail backstraps for steak.

Hamburger for the remainder I guess.

I quit applying for shiras permits after friends shared meat with me. As tough as the steaks were, I just couldn't face that for dinner every night. It might make a differance as to whether they are shot prior to freeze up or after but that is just speculation.

walleyes

FNG
That is tough to hear. I have eaten a quite a few Canadian and NWT moose and the only tough one was when I cooked a tenderloin the same day we killed it. Other than that it is a household favorite.
I primarily hunt moose for myself as a meat hunt we like it so much.

Tod osier

WKR
So on 2 bull moose killed, all the meat has been pretty tough. Especially compared to other game. Even the backstraps have been a chewing challenge. Everything was properly taken care and one got to hang a bit. The flavor is fine. Neither moose had hardly any fat. Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice? Its the toughest game meat weve ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you want to eat steaks try sous vide for a long time. Something like 4-5-6 hours at 125F.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
From a science perspective, tough meat can be caused by the meat's final pH determined by stress hormones near time of death. If you pull a steak from the freezer and thaw it...you could check the pH of the meat with a pH meter. Should be 5.5-5.8 max. If it's 5.9-6.0+ it would indicate some level of metabolic stress before death.

Otherwise, meat that was allowed to freeze within the first 72 hours post death would likely be tougher and chewy due to cold shortening.

Deboning before 72 hours could also contribute to toughness.

martie88

FNG
Haven't had this issue yet. Been going 8 years in ontario and on avg we get 1-2 a year. My family likes it as much as deer if not a little more. Some cuts are tougher then others but we use those for ground and Stewing

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I searched for a cow without a calf once upon a time, was successful and I ended up having to grind the whole thing which the burger was great, but man even the backstraps were like shoe leather

jewbacca

FNG
So on 2 bull moose killed, all the meat has been pretty tough. Especially compared to other game. Even the backstraps have been a chewing challenge. Everything was properly taken care and one got to hang a bit. The flavor is fine. Neither moose had hardly any fat. Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice? Its the toughest game meat weve ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I shot a young bull last November that turned out the same way. It was mid-30s while butchering. Had the hide off quickly and finished getting all meat off by ~5 hours after the kill. He was with a cow and I've blamed it on being rutty. But like yours, the flavor has been really good.

Sous vide has been my friend with the steaks. 125F for 2 hrs and then finish on a hot pan. Turns it nice and tender.

Slow cooking the roasts has been excellent. I've made stroganoff a few times and tried Hank Shaw's barbacoa. All has been delicious. 190F-200F for 12-18 hrs in both those recipes has broken down the meat very nicely.

I've found the burgers can be tough if cooked to well done. I've gone to making thick patties (maybe 1/2 pound each), heating the grill to 600F, and cook on both sides for 5 minutes. It's honestly the best game burger I've had.

When I was 16 my Dad and myself shot two Bulls together, his was old mine was about 3-4. Dads was like chewing a mouthful of rubber bands. We ended up canning the entire bull, it was amazing after canning. Natives always shot cows or very young bulls only, our neighbor was an older native lady and she thought we were nuts to kill that old Bull. We used to let meat hang for about a week before cutting it up.