Too many elk in Montana?

Geewhiz

WKR

Legend

WKR
Wealthy out of state landowners harbor elk. But can't draw a tag every year for all of their buddies. This is the MT "issue"

So the UPOM cronies hatch the idea that elk are over objective and MTFWP is required by their manament goals to issue them either sex tags. Cow tags are readily available but UPOm insists that this approach will not work for them.

It is completely laughable....except for the fact that they have a lot of money and Gianforte could give a damn about the average public land hunter.

MtnW

WKR
Same old Same old. These rich dudes that own a lot of these big ranches that control the elk once the shooting starts “wants their cake and eat it too”.
One major way to rectify the problems is to allow the general public 10% of the trophy bull tags and a public schedule of 2-3 day cow hunts during the year when the cow elk are the most accessible. Something like Colorado has with their Ranching For Wildlife program. We need to get more kids on some of these quality wildlife properties to light their fire like many of us experienced on these properties when we were younger.

WCB

WKR
Wealthy out of state landowners harbor elk. But can't draw a tag every year for all of their buddies. This is the MT "issue"

So the UPOM cronies hatch the idea that elk are over objective and MTFWP is required by their manament goals to issue them either sex tags. Cow tags are readily available but UPOm insists that this approach will not work for them.

It is completely laughable....except for the fact that they have a lot of money and Gianforte could give a damn about the average public land hunter.
Not that I don't agree with some of your comment...but it isn't like all resident landowners allow an open door policy to hunt their land....just funny how the default is instantly "non resident" no matter what.

Legend

WKR
Not that I don't agree with some of your comment...but it isn't like all resident landowners allow an open door policy to hunt their land....just funny how the default is instantly "non resident" no matter what.
UPOM was created by Non Resident wants, so they get the credit. And if we follow the money behind UPOM I bet it is even more clear who gets the credit.

Landowners don't need any favors when it comes to hunting. We let friends and family hunt. And a lot of landowners are willing to make new friends (this is the big tip of the day). So if you want to hunt private make a friend. But don't ask to do them a favor.

UPOM was created by Non Resident wants, so they get the credit. And if we follow the money behind UPOM I bet it is even more clear who gets the credit.

Landowners don't need any favors when it comes to hunting. We let friends and family hunt. And a lot of landowners are willing to make new friends (this is the big tip of the day). So if you want to hunt private make a friend. But don't ask to do them a favor.
I'd do them a favor by coming and putting in some sweat equity on their land if they needed help if it meant having an opportunity to hunt private every couple years.

Same old Same old. These rich dudes that own a lot of these big ranches that control the elk once the shooting starts “wants their cake and eat it too”.
One major way to rectify the problems is to allow the general public 10% of the trophy bull tags and a public schedule of 2-3 day cow hunts during the year when the cow elk are the most accessible. Something like Colorado has with their Ranching For Wildlife program. We need to get more kids on some of these quality wildlife properties to light their fire like many of us experienced on these properties when we were younger.
Couldnt agree more. Its part of an all encompassing desire to control every available resource at their disposal. Furthermore, once the elk are culled and numbers are reduced, they'll use it to increase access or harvest fees.

Legend

WKR
I'd do them a favor by coming and putting in some sweat equity on their land if they needed help if it meant having an opportunity to hunt private every couple years.
That's a start.

But would you be willing to be a family friend? Someone who goes out of their way for years and asks nothing in return but is willing to be there? You know a friend.

That's a start.

But would you be willing to be a family friend? Someone who goes out of their way for years and asks nothing in return but is willing to be there? You know a friend.
If I moved to MT, I'd be looking to make new friends. If they had land to hunt, that would not be my alterior motive. I have several very close friends that have private land here in Iowa that I'd love to hunt. However, unless I'm desperate to fill a doe tag I rarely, if ever, cross that line.

In the prior example, if there were landowners that would trade labor for access, I'd jump all over that and hopefully make a new friend in the process!

Last edited: