To Hoody or Not to Hoody

Skook

FNG
That is the question. Generally, I've always worn cold weather outerwear for outdoors use that has a hood. The advantages are obvious. Now, every piece in a layering system can be had with a hood. Outer shell or insulated coat with hood, puffy with hood, mid layer with hood and base layer with hood. For me, that's too may hoods. I think one hood is good, and two might be OK, but any more hoods than that and I am out.

So, how many hoods is too many for you, or are you in the camp of there is no such thing as too many hoods? If you prefer to limit your hoods, how do you choose which layer gets a hood and which one doesn't. Does the hooded, non-hooded layer choice change depending on the circumstances? If so, does this require having both hooded and non-hooded base layers, mid layers, puffy and shell from which to choose in order to mix and match the hood selection? I guess the outermost layer should always be hooded though, right?

All KUIU and all with a hood: Chugach Rain Coat (2 ea), Superdown Ultra jacket, Kenai synthetic jacket, Peloton 240 (3 ea), Peloton 97 zip-neck tee (2 ea). Love hooded tops, so versatile and you can fold the hood into the top if you don't want it hanging out the back.

That said I usually only wear one or two of the hooded KUIU tops at any one time. Usually paired with a Paradox zipneck base layer and a Cabelas Microtex shirt, both unhooded.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Oh man this is like asking the meaning of life lol! I love and hate hoods and have still not figured it out. In a perfect world two hoods at most for me. One on a lighter mid for walking and one on heavy outer for sitting. Rain gear always needs a hood.

Drenalin

WKR
Hood bulk is a thing. I like a hooded mid layer (unless it’s Kuiu), and a hood on the insulated jacket. I rarely wear a hard shell, but if it’s needed, it needs to have a hood.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have hoods on everything- light base layers, heavy base layers, mid-layers, wind shirts and of course insulating/puffies. Light base layers (light colored) make great sun shirts- if it's blazing hot and the sun is out, you want a hood.

It amazes how efficient a hood (even a light hood from a base layer) can be for regulating your temperature.

The difference between a hood base layer and a non hooded base layer is maybe an ounce, an ounce well spent in my experience.

I'm always surprised when someone asks of he should get a hooded or unhooded insulating jacket- what, it's a jacket to keep you warm- yes you want a hood! :D

2 hoods is my usual max. Base and outer insulation layer. The exception is additional hooded raingear during rainy/snowy/windy conditions.

JStol5

WKR
I have hoods on everything. Extra warmth and I really don't like collars, especially as I primarily archery hunt.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm not a hood fan. I can't stand having my ears covered up and not being able to hear everything. I have a hood on my Kenai jacket but have never used it. Luckily most of my hunting is in September so I don't have to worry about having or not having hoods. I don't have them when hunting.

Grundy53

WKR
I'm not a hood fan. I can't stand having my ears covered up and not being able to hear everything. I have a hood on my Kenai jacket but have never used it. Luckily most of my hunting is in September so I don't have to worry about having or not having hoods. I don't have them when hunting.
I'm not a fan, either. The only time I use one is if it's really cold and windy.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Around town not a hood fan. On a backpack hunt hoods on everything except my baselayer. When it gets cold and windy Ill rock them all! 7C02307E-5BB3-49E5-83F0-4553F8C69849.jpegD1EFCF20-BF7A-4B9E-9554-99FC0666F38E.jpeg

Hood on insulation and outer layers. Not on base or mid-layers. Unless it is cold and a wind, I don’t need a hood. I really appreciate a hood when it is needed. But I don’t like my ears covered, my vision reduced, and the noise you hear when your head moves around in them. So not something I use regularly. I have other ways to deal with sun. That said, the hoods on my Kenai jacket and Solitude jackets are great. And the Solitude hood is removable. Great feature.

Pursuer

Lil-Rokslider
Always have a hooded garment with me. Typically a hooded mid layer like a fleece or sweatshirt. And my insulation layer normally has a hood on it. Rain gear is just one of those things that wouldn’t work well without a hood…I work outside and don’t know what I’d do without a hooded sweatshirt, I wear one everyday fall-early spring. Heck I keep one in the truck year round just in case.

Hoody all the way

Sure a little bulk (depends on hood thickness). But Sitka and stone glacier each have thin hoodies on

I like it keeps my neck warm OR when I stop or sundown comes and I need a touch more warmth, the hoody is money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I like multiples. At one time. I like how they build up on the back of my neck. I’d say 2-3