To chip or not to chip?

Matt5266

WKR
I have a 2003 dodge ram 2500 5.9 cummins. It has the auto trans. Trucks in great shape and basically stock minus S&B air intake and exhaust.

I'm not looking to do anything stupid with it. I'm contemplating chipping it. My goals are better fuel economy and a little extra power when towing which isnt often, but it just feels a little gutless especially on hills.

I was looking at either a Smarty Jr tuner or a Edge Evolution. I just want something plug and play not a bunch to cords and different things to connect and route.

What's your thoughts?

Have the Edge, but for a gasoline engine. It doesn't really boost much of anything. The tow setting gives more torque when starting out with a trailer, but that's about it.

Only use the tow mode when pulling the RV. Don't use it when pulling the boat.

IMG_6421.jpeg
I run my smarty s06 on the 160 hp tune. Love the power, insane throttle response. I also have a 64mm turbo and built trans.

For that year get the smarty jr and enjoy it. If you have a trans issue build it right the first time then throw as much power as you want at it. They are great trucks.

BBob

WKR
04 w/Smarty SO-6 PoD. I run SW9 @ 80%. 6spd w/Southbend dual disk though. Completely happy with the Smarty for many years. I don’t think the Jr was available back then. For a truck like yours I’d probably do the Jr.

Im alittle rusty onnwhats still out there tuning wise for the old 5.9 common rail engines, howver i recall the Smarty being easy, efficient, effective...but definitely keep it low on the power. The edge products I used/recall from the past tended to be too aggressive with fuel rail pressure hence hard on injection pumps and injectors
48re can take alot, but not in stock form and properly built or even stock reman transmission isn't cheap any more... last 800hp+ capable 48re unit I bought was close to $6k and that was over 12 years ago...Im sure they haven't gotten cheaper.
Service that trans, adjust the 2nd gear band and don't lug it with torque converter locked up with added power, stock tcc will slip fast with added power. 48re is a tank when built right, but never was a very pleasant transmission to drive in my opinion. Much better built with billet triple disc converter, and billet internals but still an unrefined beast.
I'd think about better filtration/fuel supply while your at it, 5.9s had pretty crappy stock fuel supply and filtration and corresponding injector issues.
Common rail diesels are stupid expensive to repair if youve not found that out yet...be cautious adding power or towing on hotter tunes unless a $5-10k+ repair bill doesn't faze you.
That engine will take some abuse, but bad tuning or fuel system issues can wipe one out quickly.
I would stay under 100hp over stock for reliability sake and much closer to stock when towing.

OP
Matt5266

Matt5266

WKR
Ya I figured probably wouldnt help fuel milage but I've heard some tuners can help slightly. I was leaning toward the smarty jr. As I said not looking to hot rod around just better throttle response and a little extra power when towing. I'm sure I wouldnt even use anything above the 1st setting the +40 HP and I would probably just leave it there. Not looking to break land speed records or tear the truck up. Also I'm not a 20 year old with a flat brim ball cap and a mullet looking to roll coal through a intersection.

Ya I figured probably wouldnt help fuel milage but I've heard some tuners can help slightly. I was leaning toward the smarty jr. As I said not looking to hot rod around just better throttle response and a little extra power when towing. I'm sure I wouldnt even use anything above the 1st setting the +40 HP and I would probably just leave it there. Not looking to break land speed records or tear the truck up. Also I'm not a 20 year old with a flat brim ball cap and a mullet looking to roll coal through a intersection.
Even the sw1 hp setting with stock rail pressure setting will really wake your truck up. Keep the torque management on stock or 2 at most and you will be fine

Mike 338

WKR
I never knew anyone who chipped their diesel who didn't have problems down the road. But... if life is boring and your boring truck doesn't do anything but get your around dependably day after day, year after year, then chip.

DO NOT use an Edge. The way they work on those is hard in injectors, and injector failure will trash the engine.

If it was mine I'd get tuning from Firepunk on a HPTuners device.

You can pick up a used Smarty pretty cheap and be happy with one of the lower levels.

I never knew anyone who chipped their diesel who didn't have problems down the road. But... if life is boring and your boring truck doesn't do anything but get your around dependably day after day, year after year, then chip.
Complete non sense. Tuning acrually makes these common rail much much more reliable for the fact of turning off post injection event that was put in place for emissions. 03-04 not as big as a factor but proper tuning only increases reliability in my experience working on them the past 20 years.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I'll be the voice of reason.
After chipping 3 different trucks and more cars of different makes.

It never made it more reliable. It never gave me any more MPG because foot in it syndrome.
I never did one that I didnt regret. Maybe when I sold it. Maybe when it started throwing codes.
I wont do another thats a daily driver. If its a play thing then yea go nuts.

I'll be the voice of reason.
After chipping 3 different trucks and more cars of different makes.

It never made it more reliable. It never gave me any more MPG because foot in it syndrome.
I never did one that I didnt regret. Maybe when I sold it. Maybe when it started throwing codes.
I wont do another thats a daily driver. If its a play thing then yea go nuts.
My sample size is 6 diesels I've owned and dozens more that friends have...

Only issues we've had were beating on trucks with a lot more done than just a "chip". At a point you know you're pushing the limits and expect it. Pay to play.

As long as aftermarket tuning is available, I'll be running it. Don't run junk tunes and you'll be fine.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
My sample size is 6 diesels I've owned and dozens more that friends have...

Only issues we've had were beating on trucks with a lot more done than just a "chip". At a point you know you're pushing the limits and expect it. Pay to play.

As long as aftermarket tuning is available, I'll be running it. Don't run junk tunes and you'll be fine.

Cool story.
Thanks for your input.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I've only had 2 Diesels but I've had them since 2010. Both Chevy's and both were tuned with a few other mods. The 1st one also had a built transmission to handle the tuning. My current vehicle doesn't have a built transmission but my tuning doesn't come close to pushing the limits of my transmission. Regardless mileage is better and I definitely don't have any power issues. My next vehicle will be tuned and any others after that if possible also. One thing to worry about is your emissions. Some states don't test for emissions on diesels and some do. Some chips/tuners will change your emissions so make sure whatever you choose is emissions safe.