To chip or not to chip?

I have a 2003 5.9L Cummins with 3 mode edge chip with a manual 5 speed and it’s definitely a lot more powerful. No other mods. Fuel economy is probably better until I punch it getting onto the freeway or passing a car.

For towing I have enough power to pull a 7000 lb trailer up Loveland pass at 75 mph but can’t use all that power because the engine can’t cool itself with that output.

gbflyer

WKR
I have a 07.5 6.7 6 speed that has been deleted so it has a tune. I can go stock delete, +50 towing or +100 street. It has an upgraded stock clutch, not the old dual mass. It will not hold the +100 if you get after it.

I can’t imagine that boosting rail pressure from 20K to 40K is something that adds to longevity. It does help fuel mileage if I keep my foot out of it.

TaperPin

WKR
My one buddy pushes his 2005, had the best transmissions money can buy - he’s gone through 5 transmissions and had to sell it because it’s just too fun. Lol

My other buddy bought a 05 that had a rough life pulling a trailer with a mild chip. At 100k miles it had the wear on the drivetrain I’d expect at 200k. Nothing broke, original tranny, but everything was loosie goosie. I think there was a 50/50 chance the speedo was messed with. He has a lot of money so replacing parts was no problem.

A tranny is cheap compared to injectors and injector caused problems on these engines. Lol

I may be in the minority but i'd say leave it stock. That motor has plenty of power for towing as is. Our mountains aren't as big as out west but I've never had a problem grossing 20-25k going over them, only thing I wish I have is a exhaust break for the descent to ease up brake usage.
Mine seemed a bit doggish but once I replaced the injectors it really woke it up. And I have a custom built transmission thats good for 800hp. Most times my 2020 gets the nod over the 2005 but mostly for the exhaust brake, they seem pretty equivalent power wise towing.