To carry or not to carry...15x

Totoro

WKR
Hey fellas, how many of you tote around a 15x; along with bino on a chest harness and a big spotter?

I've been running 8x on the chest, a 15x and 85mm spotter in the bag while chasing muleys in big open country.

Now debating, if the same 3 pieces will make it to elk camp this year.

Or go 12x and 85mm spotter to save some weight.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

prm

WKR
How well do you think you can find deer with the 15x vs. a spotter? What about a spotter at ~30x?

I’m rethinking my optics system, but it will only be two items, and one of those will be my Swaro compact binos.

Last edited:

Rodéo

WKR
Sort of in the same boat but I'm running 8x42 on my chest and razor 16-48x65 in the pack. Haven't used the system yet for hunting but since I've been scouting recently I've really felt that 15x56 off a tripod would be way better for finding game than my 8x42's. Thinking about adding a big bino to the lineup but then weight is a concern.
How have you liked your set up for muleys OP? Any downsides to running both binos other than weight?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I debate this with myself all the time. I don't think 15s are worth it, I have carried my 12 ELs on every hunt the last few years. Almost anything I can find with the 15s I can find with the 12s and with the wider FOV I think I even pick up more animals. Now the 18s are a different story. I'm thinking I might try some 10 ELs on my chest, the 18s in my pack with the little Kowa 550s. But everything is subject to change on a hunt to hunt basis. A man has to have options.

Last edited:

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
It’s hard for me not to bring my meostar 15s. So nice on a tripod to scan and pick up game. But they are big and heavy. I am going to try to just bring my 10s and spotter on hunts and leave the 15s behind but I will probably cave and throw them in the pack.... but I’m in the same situation as you. 10s, 15s and 65mm spotter is a bit much but love having options

I used to do leica 10s, meopta15s and a kowa 66 spotter as my setup. Traded my Binos in for the 12x50 EL and run kowa twin 30x66 spotters for scouting. Now those are insane.

I compared15s and 12s a bunch and just preferred the view of the 12s.

OP
T

Totoro

WKR
@ rod, running Razor 8x in an ABC chest rig, Kaibab 15x and Razor 85mm on the pod.

Hauled that set up all over Wy, for the last years for muleys.

Wide open country where I was at, so I used the 15x more than the 8x; I used the 85mm to verify headgear quality.

Saved on a lot of time and questionable shooters, and allowed me to cover lots of ground.

That being said, nearly 3lbs of extra pack weight is no laughing matter.

Sort of in the same boat but I'm running 8x42 on my chest and razor 16-48x65 in the pack. Haven't used the system yet for hunting but since I've been scouting recently I've really felt that 15x56 off a tripod would be way better for finding game than my 8x42's. Thinking about adding a big bino to the lineup but then weight is a concern.
How have you liked your set up for muleys OP? Any downsides to running both binos other than weight?

OP
T

Totoro

WKR
Thx for the replies fellas, been thinking hard of going 12x and a spotter.

I dont do any stand, archery, thick timber stalk hunting so a low power set doesnt make much sense.

Not saying the 8x is going to leave my quiver; just contemplating how to simplify and be more efficient.

Forest

WKR
Im actually going to try to use 15x pretty much all the time on my chest this season. For the country i hunt i just dont get to sit in one spot for real long, and therefore i dont see me taking the time to pull them out of the pack as often as i should. So to get my $$ worth I'm going to harness them. I seem to be able to handhold them well enough to take quick looks if needed. My plan is to try it this way for a season on most of my hunts. If down the road i find the 15x to be a bit too much i will likely swap them and my 10s in for a pair of 12x and call it good for everything. The high powered binos have been a game changer for me as much as i loved the packability of the 10x. Plus it's an excuse to try new things ha

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

I used to do leica 10s, meopta15s and a kowa 66 spotter as my setup. Traded my Binos in for the 12x50 EL and run kowa twin 30x66 spotters for scouting. Now those are insane.

I compared15s and 12s a bunch and just preferred the view of the 12s.

How much was it to get the twin spotters mounted? And have you ever compared the image quality to a btx?

One option not many consider is the Leica duovid. I’ve got 10-15x50s and they are excellent glass. Hard to find used but it can be done and they are less than the Swaro 15s. You compromise some FOV at 10x but it’s nice to have both in one package, and nice to be able to “zoom” in and out while glassing off the tripod. Haven’t really hunted with them yet but birdwatching and stuff they’ve been sweet.

TheCougar

WKR
I tend not to bring all three any more. I run 10 and 15 SLCs and a 65mm Razor. I use the 15s more because I just don’t like looking through a spotter and the clarity of the 15s makes it easier to judge game than the Razor spotter. My answer might be different if I was running an ATX.

Wrench

WKR
I like my 15's if I'm in a point or width area or big country mule deer hunting.

If I'm looking for bulls in a general area....my 8 or 10 work fine. Where I hunt if it's a 280 or a 330....it's on the hit list.

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
I live at the base of some of the most epic big country mountains in the west. I started with 10x42 EL’s. Messed with 12’s, which felt like 10’s. Then finally bought some 15 SLC’s 4 years ago and never looked back. I even wear them bow hunting. In most cases I feel my 15’s and a nice carbon tripod have replaced my need for a spotter (in most cases). The field of view is amazing. Both guys I hunt with made the switch to 15’s after glassing with me on different hunts.
Again, all depends how big the country is you hunt. Mule deer bedded in dead fall across a canyon are no match for 15’s on a nice pan head.

Duovids are the fix for this. I use 8-12x, and I'm going to add a Kowa 553 to go with them. In the past I carried 10x on my chest and 15x for the tripod. No way was I adding a spotter on top of that. The 15x were great but I ended up wanting more magnification in some situations to judge deer. The Duovids allow for close glassing, glassing farther from a tripod, and pack weight to allow for a spotter.

FLAK

WKR
I just got a pair of 15x Vultures. My first thought was, well I wont be
wearing these around my neck.

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
I have a set of 12x50s and a small Leupold gold ring spotter. If I could have any setup I would do a set of 10X50 binos and the Razor 11-33 X50 spotter.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As noted options are good. I run 8x42 which are nice for walking/standing off hand and also the wide FOV is nice when first starting to glass. The 15x56 are nice for more comfortable detailed glassing (I am not good one eye in a spotter) but aren't light and the narrower FOV I've had animals pop up just out of my FOV before so I wouldn't want to be confined to just those. IF I could glass long well with a spotter I'd just use a spotter but I can't so I work with what I can do with my eyes. I have a little 50mm opticron thats 2lb and not too bad of a view, it cranks up to 36x and can help see something closer when the time comes without too much penalty of weight (bonus if breaking up spotter/15s between hunting partner) so there have been numerous hunts I've had all 3 along (esp. if not carrying camp around daily). I've left behind the 15s on a high country deer hunt before but in hindsight I probably wouldn't do that again as there have been times I would have missed things in 8x or 10x that I found in 15x.

When weight is a concern I choose between the 15s and spotter depending on the hunt. Some animals are easier to spot readily and don't need 15s but if quality is no concern then spotter isn't needed either so maybe the 15s stay... lol all depends.

I am planning to switch to the 18s though when maven releases them.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey fellas, how many of you tote around a 15x; along with bino on a chest harness and a big spotter?

I've been running 8x on the chest, a 15x and 85mm spotter in the bag while chasing muleys in big open country.

Now debating, if the same 3 pieces will make it to elk camp this year.

Or go 12x and 85mm spotter to save some weight.

Thoughts?

That seems like a lot of weight in the back country. Everyone is different and has their own opinion. I would keep the spotter, and get rid of the 15x and upgrade your 8x's to either a Swarovski EL 10x42 or a Swarovski EL 120x50. I think there is a lot of weight that can be saved just in your optics alone. My personal set up is a Swarovski ATX 85mm with EL 10x42 and I have no problem. From hunting Mountain Goat to Mulleys on the eastern plains.