"Tikka's just don't shoot good" - Gunwerks podcast

Lawnboi

WKR
Might be worth it to try some other ammo as well, if I based a rifle off how it shot core loc, I wouldn’t have very many left.

What are you torquing the action to?

Tiny 10 shot groups are tough to create, especially with a light gun.

16Bore

WKR
No

I'm going to give them one more shot. I'll play with action screw torque. I'll also probably put a different scope on the .243...just to check

Never make assumptions.....right 16Bore??

You’ve got 4 of the most baffling rigs ever. Every Tikka I’ve had has been a bullet whore and every SWFA tracked like it had eyes.

16Bore

WKR
I’m wondering if they way you shoot with the scout scope set up has something to do with it.

Quite a mystery.

Fatcamp

WKR
I’m wondering if they way you shoot with the scout scope set up has something to do with it.

Quite a mystery.

What do you mean by "scout scope set up"?

How close his rings are to the mag ring and bell? That looks a little odd to me but I'm sure it's not touching.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
All-righty then.....I had a honey-do drop off the list so I went and shot them again today. Decided not to change anything except the action screw torque. Checked parallax, and I got rid of the pack and used sand bags. Oh and I brought some kool aid to make sure I wasn't screwing that up too.....

vBGVKW4.jpg

The shooting set up....

8IRuVqi.jpg

Formidilosus said he does his action screws at 65 inch pounds...."the net" says anywhere from 25-50 inch pounds....so I started shooting 3 round clusters to see if it would help....223 first I started at 30 inch pounds...then 35...it looked like an improvement so I fired a 10 round group....I thought the results were interesting....same ammo as before winchester 55 gr bal tip

TRO9bOT.jpg

Next up was the .243....started at 30....35...40...45...50...55....finally at 60 inch pounds I saw some movement...I went directly to 65 inch pounds and fired a 10 round group...winchester 100 gr power maxx bonded...the first shot was high - I assume due to the first shot after the torque change - then the cluster....

jikiW7H.jpg

Cont'd....

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
The 6.5 and the .308 didn't show as dramatic of a change.....308 in particular seemed to not like it at first....tried some other settings....came back to 65 inch pounds and called it good for now...shooting a rounder group of acceptable size for both.....

Got to thinking about the .223 and so set the action screws to 65 inch pounds as well and fired this 10 round group....

Oo2fcfG.jpg

Thought that was acceptable as well and left it there...

e02I1cS.jpg

Kool aid seemed to work.....of course I still need to work on my shooting. Another day today of over 200 rounds of centerfire should help.

Thanks for the offers on the guns....getting closer to where I want to be....so not selling at this point...

NOW, maybe I can do the practical practice drill Formidilosus has written about....

16Bore

WKR
What do you mean by "scout scope set up"?

How close his rings are to the mag ring and bell? That looks a little odd to me but I'm sure it's not touching.

He mentioned a scout scope on his Ruger. Scope is mounted on the back 1/3 of the barrel.

Calbuck

WKR
Hahaha my Tikka T3x superlite 7mm Rem shoots lites out to every animal Ive shot at. All one shot kills. Those animals don't give a shit about torque specs or kool aid or what some sniper says. I'm happy with mine.

KClark

WKR
Glad to see the improvement.

I'm surprised you can get 65 inch pounds on the plastic trigger guard without having snap crackle pop.

Might check your trigger finger position to make sure you are not contacting the trigger guard bow, that will cause horizontal groups.

CorbLand

WKR
Wacko just pissed a lot of guys off thinking they were going to score a deal on some guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I was surprised the bottom "plastic" didn't break as well. Pretty sure it isn't straight up plastic...but re-enforced plastic with fiber. Time will tell if it holds up.

"Rifles don't shoot tight" is a saying referencing assembly, but Tikka's sure like to be t-i-g-h-t !!!

Good thing I'm stubborn or there might have been a fire sale....lol.

Seriously though, you all made me look at everything - multiple times, which looks like it made it work out in the end. Thanks to all !!

I was surprised the bottom "plastic" didn't break as well. Pretty sure it isn't straight up plastic...but re-enforced plastic with fiber. Time will tell if it holds up.

"Rifles don't shoot tight" is a saying referencing assembly, but Tikka's sure like to be t-i-g-h-t !!!

Good thing I'm stubborn or there might have been a fire sale....lol.

Seriously though, you all made me look at everything - multiple times, which looks like it made it work out in the end. Thanks to all !!
in my experience they always tighten up a bit after they have been shot bunch. like 200+ rounds

HONEYBADGER

Lil-Rokslider
The guy that runs the gunwerks podcast is not an expert on rifles...they hired him to do podcasts and other social stuff....hes not a rifle expert by any stretch of the imagination.