"Tikka's just don't shoot good" - Gunwerks podcast

toddh

FNG
I torqued my hunter T3x to 45 lbs and it would not action. I had to take it down to 35 LBs.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I torqued my hunter T3x to 45 lbs and it would not action. I had to take it down to 35 LBs.

Something is wrong with your stock/bedding.

Without a full bed job, probably even with it, a drop will almost certainly cause a loss of zero with 35 in-lbs.

The factory stock is molded plastic and really the only thing I want to improve on it. Everything else is fantastic!
I'd be curious what you can find easily to restock it. Because they have that stud style action mounting system vs traditional action screws and they're not super popular finding aftermarket stuff is my main fear. Everyone and their dog does in letting for Tikka, sauer I don't see often.

JGRaider

WKR

^^^^This is exactly the point^^^^

You'll see those types of threads pop up many times a year, and there are undoubtedly many more owners with the same problem that aren't posting.

The dude's new Tikka is shooting like garbage. So the standard internet recommendations: take it all apart & clean it up, sand the stock, play with various torque setting, try various ammo, lighten trigger/buy new trigger, check scope, swap optics, swap optic mounts, clean/foul/try again, maybe buy a different aftermarket stock, try aftermarket bottom metal, get into handloading, shoot a bunch and see if it fixes itself, etc. etc.

All of that is time, money, and effort. What's your time worth? How much ammo did you spend, gas to & from the range, time trying to diagnose then fix the problem, etc.? How much in upgrades? Is there a price on the amount of frustration experienced through the whole process?

Some factory rifles shoot great without all the hassles and some don't - that is reality, and Tikkas are included in that reality.

I really don't know why this is news or why so many fanboys are so sensitive & need so much validation.

That's a load of BS. If a Tikka doesn't shoot MOA or better with quality factory ammo, it can be tied to a bad scope, incorrect torquing of rings and or bases, loose action screws, not cleaning barrel thoroughly prior to first shooting session, barrel not floated (rare), etc. Occasionally there could be a lemon, but that's a very rare problem. I've been shooting them for over 20 years, and know loads of people who own them, and a "Tikka not shooting" worth a crap is a very rare occurence.

Lawnboi

WKR

You'll see those types of threads pop up many times a year, and there are undoubtedly many more owners with the same problem that aren't posting.

The dude's new Tikka is shooting like garbage. So the standard internet recommendations: take it all apart & clean it up, sand the stock, play with various torque setting, try various ammo, lighten trigger/buy new trigger, check scope, swap optics, swap optic mounts, clean/foul/try again, maybe buy a different aftermarket stock, try aftermarket bottom metal, get into handloading, shoot a bunch and see if it fixes itself, etc. etc.

All of that is time, money, and effort. What's your time worth? How much ammo did you spend, gas to & from the range, time trying to diagnose then fix the problem, etc.? How much in upgrades? Is there a price on the amount of frustration experienced through the whole process?

Some factory rifles shoot great without all the hassles and some don't - that is reality, and Tikkas are included in that reality.

I really don't know why this is news or why so many fanboys are so sensitive & need so much validation.

I like my tikkas, and have other guns. Most of the stuff you listed I do to any new factory rifle that I shoot. Not just tikka. It’s called learning a new rifle.

That said I do agree that are likely lemons out there.

Rob5589

WKR
Let's not forget, not everyone can "shoot." The 7/08 we have has done 5/8" for 5 rounds at 100 yds, all factory gun, hand loaded ammo. It is primarily my daughters gun. When she is "on" the gun shoots 1.5" or so, same ammo, same distance, novice shooter.
Tikka; not perfect but, a great value and generally a great shooter.

The guy has tried three different kinds of ammo—two of them being non-lead, the other “superformance” high velocity junk. I’d be surprised if he got MOA with those choices.

JGRaider

WKR
I always though Davidson came across as an arrogant little asss. It's one thing to screw the bank, but when you start screwing with gov't taxes you will find yourself in deep, deep doodoo very quickly.

R_burg

WKR
Fully enclosed action - check
Side Bolt release - check
Long COAL (in SA) - check
Highly adjustable (for weight) trigger that breaks very cleanly - check
75 degree bolt lift on 2 lug bolt - check
Extremely smooth action - check
Long tenon for barrel support - check
Plunger ejector - check

Must be talking about a custom action or some BS from gunwerks, right?

No. That's the Tikka. Throw all this BS and debate out the window. That's what your buying. The action + the best factory trigger for the money. These are all design principles used in custom actions. Tikka/Sako have been doing this for a while, the M595 was a good action as well. Also, these actions are well known for needing very little, if any truing. Out of the box they are very square.

They aren't accurate because of internet rumors or Finnish pixie dust. It's because they build the best action and trigger for the money you can currently buy for the reasons stated above.

Any rifle can have a bad barrel, and any barrel can dislike certain ammo. Also, a bad action can miss QC, or a stock could be bedded poorly. Things happen. They use cheap, yet fairly effective stocks in the models most people buy here. That's obviously a variable.

There does seem to be a lot more variance in the barrels we're all buying on these tikka lites and such. You don't find the same issues in the CTR barrels which are supposedly sourced from the same stock as the TRG barrels.

Oh and the aftermarket support is good for them now as well.

Biggest downside to the Tikkas are the SA and LA are the same action, and the LA has a relatively short COAL and has much less aftermarket support. It's a much better gun to stick with SA in, IMO. They also have a somewhat weak bolt stop pin, if you're running it really hard in a competitive setting you could bust that pin. There's not much more you can say than that. Even if they were a couple hundred dollars more expensive they would be a deal. The bottom end of the custom action world pretty much starts around 900 dollars.

Last edited:

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man, I think Gunwerks has done a pretty good job of explaining what happened. I wouldn’t throw them to the wolves just because of a news headline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk