"Tikka's just don't shoot good" - Gunwerks podcast

I've been pretty pleased with mine (T3X in 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor). I've tinkered with Hornady 75 ELDs, 73 ELDs, 75 BTHP as well as Sierra 77 TMKs. I've been able to get most of them to shoot well without much load work. These were all shot using a 6x scope and fancy targets.

As always, don't try these loads without starting lower and working up in your rifle.

And for what its worth, both rifles shot just as well from their factory stocks (I did remove the nubbins that contact the barrel) as they do from the Bravo chassis.

View attachment 177110
View attachment 177111View attachment 177120View attachment 177112

What magazines are you using with the Bravo? MDT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I also shot a model 70 classic stainless 30-06 I purchased a few years ago.....it supposedly was unfired. I dropped it in an HS stock, no bedding, slapped on a scope - no degreasing, no torque setting, etc.....scope is a 1-4x24 Nikon M-tac......first time shooting it....

168 TTSX factory...

sMmQwqh.jpg

I think this one will work pretty good, once I do things right of course....

.243....what a peach...100 gr core-loc

JWvVHfL.jpg

6.5 creed.......140 gr OTM match from sig

vle1ijJ.jpg

.308.....173 gr white box mil match

dabjuX2.jpg

Including these it is now 9 tikka's.......5 of 9 have shot like this. The other 4 better. I sold some guns to do this....regretting it....keep in mind most of these are improvements from out of the box....

Just a suggestion - I’ve never had a rifle that liked a clean bore. All of the ones I’ve shot, shot like crap until the bore is refouled... for some it’s 5 rounds, for some it’s more.

Also did you set the trigger as low as you have your Winchester? I see a ton of horizontal stringing and that’s generally due to a trigger pull issue. The 243 just looks like it doesn’t like the ammo. Did you let the barrel cool at all between shots or did you just send em until 10 rounds down?

You may have already tried all of this, my apologies if you have.

I have owned a tikka t3x

It shot well but like previously stated, most will shoot well. But some might not. I would however also agree the chances of it shooting well are better with a tikka than with others.
I also think they have the best factory stock for anything under 1k. esp with the vertical grip you can put in there.

BUT I can also say that I have owned 2 savage axis, 1 remington 783 as well as 1 tikka.

ALL rifles shot under 1 moa.

I tend to lean towards cheaper rifles because I tinker like hell with them.

to just buy it and leave it factory, esp considering the t3x stock.....that is a good combo. Get a short action tho!! the mag length on long actions is restrictive if reloading.
I have yet to own a Savage rifle, newer or older, that I couldn't get under an inch routinely with the right hand loads and half the factory loads I've fed them.

Savage rifles have other quirks that cause a lot of folks not to like them, and I get that, but accuracy isn't one of those.

My Howa Alpine is no more accurate than any Savage or Tikka I've owned. But it's accurate enough for a pencil barrel at the distances I'm comfortable shooting, and I just like the way it carries. And that's what matters.

Now my Howa Mini's on the other hand... those will shoot with anything I've ever touched and a lot of stuff I can't afford to touch!

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
What you all are missing....I tried multiple different ammo....multiple different companies.....these are representative groups.....

Yep, I can't shoot.....must be it.....

5 rounds at 200....with a ruger scout .308....2.75x scout scope.....

OsoQCZJ.jpg

I know, I know....still can't shoot....full of BS.....

Hey, I'll sell ya the Tikka's, no scopes, with rails...$500.00 each!!

What you all are missing....I tried multiple different ammo....multiple different companies.....these are representative groups.....

Yep, I can't shoot.....must be it.....

5 rounds at 200....with a ruger scout .308....2.75x scout scope.....

OsoQCZJ.jpg

I know, I know....still can't shoot....full of BS.....

Hey, I'll sell ya the Tikka's, no scopes, with rails...$500.00 each!!
Are you cleaning between range trips?

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
Are you cleaning between range trips?

No sir, I usually don't clean unless accuracy falls off. Since these were not shooting good, I cleaned them. I shot foulers before groups, shot more ammo....no cleaning....still not impressive....

If I can I'll try some more in the next few days. Haven't cleaned them, and won't again unless I go to sell them off.....

As much as I want a stainless tikka for 500$ and put me on the list for the 223 If you decide to go that route, I feel there’s some sort of assembly issue here

Is there any chance the front rail fastener is dead headed into the barrel tenon?

and how about the front scope ring too far forward into the objective housing? It looks super close and recoil will be forcing the rings forward and causing all sorts of issues

I don’t mean this as a prick, but you are finding out what most of us realize once group size is 10 shots and that is:

most factory lightweight rifles can’t put 10 under 1.5” with factory fodder. Between bullet runout, ES and other factors it just doesn’t happen. And once we quit cherry picking our groups most shooters aren’t either.

I’d have left the speed bumps in personally but that’s neither here nor there at this point.

16Bore

WKR
A. Let someone else shoot them.
B. Groups seem to show a consistent case of the horizontals, which is usually parallax. Unless you’re not changing it.
C. 4 Tikkas and 4 SWFA’s can’t all possibly “fail” at the same time.
D. If C is true, then buy me a lottery ticket and share the luck.
E. Don’t recall the shooting set up. Bags? Bipod? Etc, etc....

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
Shooting over a pack with rear bags.

I verified the front base screw was not protruding into the action or interfering.

I never adjusted anything once I started a group. I'll be checking the parallax.

I will check to see if the scopes slid back. I had about 3/16" before the end of the objective.

I realize they are 10 shotters, not 3 or 5's, so not expecting alot more than 2moa. However, nice round groups would be nice.

A few of my Tikka's in the past have needed around 200 rounds down the tube before they started to settle real nice. The .308 and 6.5 look like they might / could be those rifles.....possibly the .223. I'm at 150 through each as of yesterday. I'm going to shoot them to 200 or so. After that..??

Bottom line for me is I have rifles weighing over 7lbs, being shot prone over a pack with rear bags. I'm really too old to want rifles that have to be held a certain way on the 3rd sunday of the month - with the moon in retrograde, to shoot.

I am also well north of $4000 into this. Not feeling like I am AHEAD of anything....

16Bore

WKR
Proven configuration of rifle, scope, mounts, and ammo.

Somethings just not stirring the Kool-Aid

Rich M

WKR

JWvVHfL.jpg

Thanks for putting this up. I'm playing with .243 and get groups like that with some factory ammo and 1-inch from others (blue box federal). Frustration!

Last edited:

JWvVHfL.jpg

6.5 creed.......140 gr OTM match from sig

vle1ijJ.jpg

.308.....173 gr white box mil match

dabjuX2.jpg

Including these it is now 9 tikka's.......5 of 9 have shot like this. The other 4 better. I sold some guns to do this....regretting it....keep in mind most of these are improvements from out of the box....
And if you used different ammo? Not every rifle shoots every ammo perfectly and consistently.

I can say that my Savage FCSS in 300 Win Mag is a POS if I only shoot CoreLokt as it produces an 8" group at 100 yards. But if I use commercial 180 grain Barnes TTSX the same rifle and user produces a group 0.4".

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
Do you wear progressive lenses?

No

I'm going to give them one more shot. I'll play with action screw torque. I'll also probably put a different scope on the .243...just to check

Never make assumptions.....right 16Bore??