Tikka updating 300 wsm twist rate- 1-10”

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
My reading comprehension needs work ;)
You're good man I do that all the time. I just didn't want the guy asking to think rebarreling was more complicated than it is. I love popping barrels off Tikkas it's the cheapest custom action on the market lol.

This is a follow-up from my original comment about sourcing a Tikka T3X Superlite .300 WSM in 1:10 twist. Hopefully this sheds some light on the twists and turns (no pun intended) of sourcing this particular rifle.

I ordered a second one from a different Sportsman’s Warehouse in early May 24’. It had a born-on date of 11/1/23, so it’s obviously another 1:11 twist (I’ve been previously told by Beretta tech support that all that were made before 1/1/24 were 1:11 twists, and that 24’ models born on or after 1/1/24 moving forward will be 1:10 twist).

So… I ordered a third one to yet a different SW on about 5/24/24. I called this particular SW once I received the “ready for pick-up” email from them, and I had the man in firearms give me its serial # so that I could look it up on the “Tikka Beretta Serial number lookup tool” in order to verify things with both SW and especially Beretta tech support.

I asked the SW firearms man to check the owner’s manual, and he confirmed that it read “1:11” twist.

Then I called Beretta tech support today and I had them send this third rifle’s serial number that I gave them up to their top brass to verify what twist rate it is. Not only did their answer in fact come back as “1:11” twist, but they also said that this is one way to “ultra verify” what the actual twist rate is.

… and I’m glad I asked Beretta tech support this, because the actual born-on date on this third rifle is 2/22/24 after all which, as I’ve been educated by Beretta, means that supposedly it is a 1:10 twist (the new 24’ twist)… needless to say, this is contradictory information.

Beretta did also tell me today that the owner’s manuals could in fact not have been updated yet for the 24’ models and still claim “1:11 twist” in the print.

Regardless, Beretta tech support told me today that there are two surefire ways (aside from any kind of physical bore-checking methods) to “ultra verify” what twist it is (before you complete your purchase):

1.) call Beretta tech support (800 237 3882) with the serial number and they’ll take your email address and get back to you (it was within a day for me) with the twist info.

2.) Look on the barrel near the chamber for the stamped “1:10 twist” indicating that it is in fact a 24’ model 1:10 twist. The 23’ and prior models that are actually 1:11 twists DO NOT have “1:11” stamped on the barrel.

Note that the SW location (different than the first and third SW locations) that handled my second rifle order refused to give me the serial number and hung up on me. This would have helped me since I’m an hour drive from them. But the other two SW did fork over the serial number thank goodness.

Hopefully Beretta/Tikka will work the bugs out on this. It’s been a debacle but I’ll keep trying.

Here is the serial number lookup tool:

This is a follow-up from my original comment about sourcing a Tikka T3X Superlite .300 WSM in 1:10 twist. Hopefully this sheds some light on the twists and turns (no pun intended) of sourcing this particular rifle.
Any findings on a particular way to source a 1:10in? Can sportsmans take an order for this specifically or do you have to just keep checking until you find one?

1.) call Beretta tech support (800 237 3882) with the serial number and they’ll take your email address and get back to you (it was within a day for me) with the twist info.

2.) Look on the barrel near the chamber for the stamped “1:10 twist” indicating that it is in fact a 24’ model 1:10 twist. The 23’ and prior models that are actually 1:11 twists DO NOT have “1:11” stamped on the barrel.
^helpful. Thanks. I seem to have been getting conflicting information regarding this

Any findings on a particular way to source a 1:10in? Can sportsmans take an order for this specifically or do you have to just keep checking until you find one?

^helpful. Thanks. I seem to have been getting conflicting information regarding this
I’ve been told by Beretta tech support and Sportsman’s Warehouse that there is no way to special order a 1:10. But I’ve also been led to believe that these 1:10s will be hitting the shelves (and be able to be ordered) starting this fall. I would imagine a 24’ model 1:10 would be available by, say, October. So I think it’s safe to say that for the rest of 24’ (and especially come fall 24’) the best way is to call the stores and check availability. Or, order it by phone through your local big box store (SW), and once it arrives at that shop, verify it using the methods I mentioned. Then get a refund if need be. It can all be done over the phone and they’ll tie your money up for less than one week.

Last edited:
1:10s will be hitting the shelves (and be able to be ordered) starting this fall. I would imagine a 24’ model 1:10 would be available by, say, October.
Bummer, wanting to get something sooner. I may go to 300 win mag instead since 1:10 looks to already be available. Unlikely I'd want to shoot anything with a longer COAL anyhow which was the primary reason I was considering the WSM

What are you guys shooting that you want a 1:10? I had no problem getting the 200 eldx to stabilize in a 30/06 at 4500 asl and around 2700 fps
I'll preface this with saying I don't totally know what I'm talking about yet but will try to explain my thought process based on what I've read so far.

I haven't yet decided on ammo. I had read elsewhere that for heavier bullets, a 1:10 would be preferable in this cartridge, and considering that Tikka has moved to the 1:10 going forward, I figure they must have a reason (stability at longer range?). I'll likely shoot a 180gr anyhow, but I don't like the idea of limiting choices if that is the case.

I also read that some heavies in 300 wm are longer COAL then the t3x will take, so maybe going to 300 wm wouldn't gain much for choices 200gr+ anyhow. However, there does appear to be more options for wm than wsm in general, so to me it makes sense to go to the 300 wm regardless of twist rate.

This gun will primarily be used in CA so I'll need non lead, so not sure how that will impact things (maybe lighter so it won't matter) but thought it'd be good to keep options open when purchasing something. I previously only used a .243, .308 and 7mm my grandpa gave me and have never gotten into all this technical stuff, but I didn't bring those with me to CA because I didn't want to register them with the commies here lol so needing to buy a new gun so figured I'd try to educate myself a bit before doing so

Jon Boy

WKR
I'll preface this with saying I don't totally know what I'm talking about yet but will try to explain my thought process based on what I've read so far.

I haven't yet decided on ammo. I had read elsewhere that for heavier bullets, a 1:10 would be preferable in this cartridge, and considering that Tikka has moved to the 1:10 going forward, I figure they must have a reason (stability at longer range?). I'll likely shoot a 180gr anyhow, but I don't like the idea of limiting choices if that is the case.

I also read that some heavies in 300 wm are longer COAL then the t3x will take, so maybe going to 300 wm wouldn't gain much for choices 200gr+ anyhow. However, there does appear to be more options for wm than wsm in general, so to me it makes sense to go to the 300 wm regardless of twist rate.

This gun will primarily be used in CA so I'll need non lead, so not sure how that will impact things (maybe lighter so it won't matter) but thought it'd be good to keep options open when purchasing something. I previously only used a .243, .308 and 7mm my grandpa gave me and have never gotten into all this technical stuff, but I didn't bring those with me to CA because I didn't want to register them with the commies here lol so needing to buy a new gun so figured I'd try to educate myself a bit before doing so

If your shooting non lead there 0% chance you’ll need a 1:10

If your shooting non lead there 0% chance you’ll need a 1:10
I only anticipate being here for another 2 years or so, at which point I would likely change back to lead. I'm inferring from your qualifier about non-lead, that using lead would have a >0% of needing a 1:10?

Jon Boy

WKR
I only anticipate being here for another 2 years or so, at which point I would likely change back to lead. I'm inferring from your qualifier about non-lead, that using lead would have a >0% of needing a 1:10?
If I were to go back to a smaller 30 call like a wsm or 30/06 I would be using a 190 eldm or 200 eldx. I bet it’d stabilize a 208 eldm which is as big as anyone would reasonably need to go. So the 1/11 would do everything good need. The 200 eldx in 30/06 did well last year from 275-500 on elk