Tikka "Rokslide Special", let's see 'em

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Not on the 'Slide (that I've seen) but on the 'Hide. Frank doesn't like them, in general (but has a couple he suggests for folks who really want them; I think his oft-repeated phrase was something along the lines of 'They're a training aid, not a shooting tool'). Some examples on the Hide of how small bubble levels are often not accurate, and some maths about why it doesn't really matter. But @Formidilosus has a couple of pics here with an Accuracy First bead level; would be interesting to hear his thoughts ...

My experience is that people who say a level isn’t needed shoot on level ranges. That people’s perception of level gets greatly skewed in broken, steep terrain is easily shown in a few minutes. I watch dozens to hundreds of shooters in mountainous terrain shooting and all of them at some point miss shots due to it.

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
20” and yes 108 eld’s, with varget they’re going right at 2700. Had high hopes for xbr but I hit pressure well below book max.
I’m dreaming up build almost identical can’t decide between 6 ARC, Creed or XC. Saving a picture of yours as a template though!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
L

View attachment 611600

It looks nice, I have a few rifles I need to get cut and threaded and Shaen isn’t taking work right now so I’ll give kampfield a call.

Juan_ID

WKR
I’m dreaming up build almost identical can’t decide between 6 ARC, Creed or XC. Saving a picture of yours as a template though!
I personally really like it. Could definitely get a faster 6mm but I wanted something different. Had hopes of 2750fps out of the 20” but as it is it’s still above 1800fps out to about 680 which is plenty far for my purposes. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of your choices. Maybe toss the dasher in there too

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
.223. Cut to 18" and dual threaded plus flange to seat a Hyperion. Vertical grip. SWFA SS HD 3-9x42. UM scope rings, plus UM blue level.

I put my UM level way up front. Open both eyes to get level. Level is clear and easy to see when behind the scope.
View attachment 611522
View attachment 611523
View attachment 611524
View attachment 611533
View attachment 611534
I’m headed to the range tomorrow and this post reminded me to take my torque wrench to try out a position further forward. Thanks.

The rifle setup is cool, but also the pictures are well done.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Am I the only one who mounted the screws opposite of bolt side on the new UM ring bases? Seemed to make the most sense to me for limiting any potential interference or issues with it being on the action side (not likely). Maybe I’m backwards as usual haha.

NSI

WKR
Am I the only one who mounted the screws opposite of bolt side on the new UM ring bases? Seemed to make the most sense to me for limiting any potential interference or issues with it being on the action side (not likely). Maybe I’m backwards as usual haha.
I did the same, and immediately realized the issue with seeing the level since my back scope ring was smack on the end of the action. Either need to leave room for it behind the ring or mount in front but flip the screws to the bolt side.

Has anyone had issues cycling with screws protruding over the ejection port?

-J

fwafwow

WKR
I had the same thought about that - after I mounted it, after having seen the demo video. I am right handed, and tend to point the barrel to my right when working on it. So that side was exposed and easiest to get to. I may switch it next time I tinker with the 6x - which will be soon to get the eye relief a bit better and change what might be a slight cant.

@NSI - I will head to the range tomorrow and report back on the new location of the level - but it's pretty far back.

Last edited:
I’m headed to the range tomorrow and this post reminded me to take my torque wrench to try out a position further forward. Thanks.

The rifle setup is cool, but also the pictures are well done.

Yes, I blindly torqued the level to the same as the rings, stripped! Stopped as soon as I felt it start to give. It's still tight enough to stay on, but just a reminder that it torques to 15 inch pounds, not 45.

Must happen a lot, as UM now has the level torque spec posted in bold at the top of the ring torque instructions. :)

Did it, then moved them back onto the right side so I could see my level. Absolutely no issues on my 223.

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
I personally really like it. Could definitely get a faster 6mm but I wanted something different. Had hopes of 2750fps out of the 20” but as it is it’s still above 1800fps out to about 680 which is plenty far for my purposes. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of your choices. Maybe toss the dasher in there too
680 is a long ways…. I bet it is super fun to shoot as well.

amassi

WKR

Nope
I always put bolts & screws opposite of the bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
I did the same, and immediately realized the issue with seeing the level since my back scope ring was smack on the end of the action. Either need to leave room for it behind the ring or mount in front but flip the screws to the bolt side.

Has anyone had issues cycling with screws protruding over the ejection port?

-J
I had no problems with the cycling today even though the screw for the level is protruding over the ejection port. But it's still pretty far back.

Reactions: NSI

fwafwow

WKR
Yes, I blindly torqued the level to the same as the rings, stripped! Stopped as soon as I felt it start to give. It's still tight enough to stay on, but just a reminder that it torques to 15 inch pounds, not 45.

Must happen a lot, as UM now has the level torque spec posted in bold at the top of the ring torque instructions. :)
For some unknown reason I only did finger tight with my level before seeing the video and checking the torque specs. Moving my level up to just in front of the rear base was enough for me, and having it on the left side was perfect since that's the side corrected with monovision. It also helped to have lots more light.IMG_0808.jpeg