Tikka "Rokslide Special", let's see 'em

OP
sbaker0029
This thread cracks me up ... what should have been a bunch of photos of pretty much the same rifles (as the OP stated) ends up having all sorts of Easter Eggs of great mods ... standby, and I'll add mine soon!

PS Seeing as the 'OG' Rokslide special is in 223 with a factory stock, do we need a separate thread for all of the 'Super Specials' (6 or 6.5 Creed in a Bravo)? And what happens when Stockys Rok Stock drops? This is gonna get confusement ...

Probably need to update the description to include the UM rings and level as well

Here’s my 223. Bought it a few years ago and have put a few thousand rounds through it with never an issue

Tikka T3X SuperLite, Sportsmatch rings, SWFA 3-9, vertical grip. And I guess I added the bolt knob from a TacA1.

Most recently I put it in a compact stock for my son to shoot

Attachments

• IMG_2757.jpeg
    IMG_2757.jpeg
    509 KB · Views: 204

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
What is the general consensus on the UM rings vs the Hawkins Hybrid ones?
Too early to tell from my experience but I am really liking the UM rings so far. Using the pins and clamping to the dovetail is the best thought out and designed Tikka rings I’ve seen yet. Fit and finish/quality is very very good. Going to be switching all of my Tikkas out to these.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Do you mind sharing the Sako torque specs?
It’s a wide spec range over the years and has changed with different guys I talked to in Finland.

Back when I was shooting Sako for comps the main guy I dealt with at Sako set them to 65 inch lbs.

Most of the factory rifles I’ve shot came between 37ish and 47ish with my torque wrench.

Shraggs

WKR
At first glance I thought it was a Van Halen paint job, I may have to do that…

dd66afe1ee9222dafa83024e0a550d19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually really appreciate that pic of his guitar! It inspired me…

IMG_6477.jpeg

Less artwork more straightish lines just a little less busy tho. (Not a tikka, but tikka inspired)

Dobermann

WKR
Note taken.
Have missed out on a level debate thread?
Not on the 'Slide (that I've seen) but on the 'Hide. Frank doesn't like them, in general (but has a couple he suggests for folks who really want them; I think his oft-repeated phrase was something along the lines of 'They're a training aid, not a shooting tool'). Some examples on the Hide of how small bubble levels are often not accurate, and some maths about why it doesn't really matter. But @Formidilosus has a couple of pics here with an Accuracy First bead level; would be interesting to hear his thoughts ...

fwafwow

WKR
Not on the 'Slide (that I've seen) but on the 'Hide. Frank doesn't like them, in general (but has a couple he suggests for folks who really want them; I think his oft-repeated phrase was something along the lines of 'They're a training aid, not a shooting tool'). Some examples on the Hide of how small bubble levels are often not accurate, and some maths about why it doesn't really matter. But @Formidilosus has a couple of pics here with an Accuracy First bead level; would be interesting to hear his thoughts ...
I got the UM level but admit that I have a hard time seeing it without moving my head off the scope.

What is the general consensus on the UM rings vs the Hawkins Hybrid ones?
My take having used the Hawkins since they were available and now a few months on the UM:

Hawkins: Mine have been solid since day one. Absolutely no issues in function. I do find the level placement less than ideal (right on top of the rear ring), finding I prefer it in a place I can see with my non dominant eye. That said, I used them so much it wasn’t a limiting factor. Also, they make caps with the level offset, as well as standard ring caps to add your own level elsewhere. I appreciate the 25 MOA cant, but my scope has plenty of travel to make that not necessary for the distances I shoot with that rifle.

UM: So far (a few hundred rounds, few hundred miles in the truck, and a dozen trips or so strapped to my pack, and being carried through the mountains) they’ve been perfect. The mounting is probably the most secure design possible using the pins and solid clamps. The heights seem to be well matched with Sportsmatch rings. Also, the additional level is great and easy to use. Lastly, and it’s not regarding function, but I love the way they look. They nailed these.

Bottom line for me: I’ll leave the Hawkins on the rifle they live on since they’ve performed great for me. But going forward I’ll use UM unless I need the built in 25MOA.

I got the UM level but admit that I have a hard time seeing it without moving my head off the scope.
Where did you mount the level? I am able to use my non dominant eye to take a quick look down at it without disturbing my head position hardly at all. Mine is in front (towards the muzzle) of the rear ring.

I also have a few Accuracy First levels. They are easier to see no doubt, and are more inline with my eyes while looking through the scope.

fwafwow

WKR
Where did you mount the level? I am able to use my non dominant eye to take a quick look down at it without disturbing my head position hardly at all. Mine is in front (towards the muzzle) of the rear ring.

I also have a few Accuracy First levels. They are easier to see no doubt, and are more inline with my eyes while looking through the scope.
I put it by the rear ring, which I thought that’s where they recommended. I can move it and see if I get better results. Unfortunate I have monovision contacts and my left/non-dominant eye is my “reader” eye.

I put it by the rear ring, which I thought that’s where they recommended. I can move it and see if I get better results. Unfortunate I have monovision contacts and my left/non-dominant eye is my “reader” eye.
Here’s where mine is:

Attachments

• IMG_5885.jpeg
    IMG_5885.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 133