Tikka/Question on Shortening Stock

MattB

WKR
My daughter is in need of a rifle, and we have a very limited choice in that she is a leftie and needs a ~12" LOP (11 yo, 4'6"). The guns shop's recommendation is a Tikka w/ a wood stock to make it easier to cut down. Does anyone have a sense of whether the synthetic stock is fairly easy to shorten? Sounds like a guy would need to epoxy something inside the stock for the recoil pad screws to bite into.

An off the shelf option is the Browning Micro Midas, but I do not love the caliber choices (.243/7mm-08/.308). Focused on 6.5 CM.

I shortened a plastic Tikka stock for my son this winter. Cut about 1" off the end with a chop saw, used slightly shorter screws into the existing internal screw locations, and ground a pachmeyer ultralight pad to fit. Not sure what the final length of pull was, but probably 12.5" or so. He's a similar size.

I believe the internal lugs that the screws go into are the length of the butt stock, so while you may have to deepen the holes again, they are still there to screw the new pad into. At least that was the case with my older T3 stock. Not sure about the new T3x versions.

Alternatively, you might cast about for a take off "compact" stock, which already has the shorter LOP. Or trade with somebody who wants a full size.

The only other comment I would make is that the barrel weight is critical with small arms. I used a SL for this one, but as a lefty you may be stuck with shortening the barrel for balance.

OP
M

MattB

WKR
Thanks for that. There is unfortunately not a LH compact or my issue would be solved.

Does anyone know about the difference between the older style and the T3x version and if the same process described above would work?

I've cut quite a few Tikka synthetic (or as the un-informed like to call them, "plastic") and even a Kimber HUNTER stock for my grandson - 1st, forget the Pachmeyer pad, there are so many Limbsaver AIRCELL prefits there's bound to be one that fits or comes darn close - IF cutting off the pad takes off all the screw shafts just make a profile of the stock's butt on a piece of AC 1/2" plywood and jig saw it out, next use a disc sander to shape it until it will slip inside the butt of the cutoff stock, smear a bit of epoxy around the edge and slip it in until flush, allow to dry - you can then screw your pad on anywhere you want to - that way also leaves a platform to refit the cut off piece if needed in the future

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One option is to change the factory stock out altogether. If you stick with a short action cartridge in the Tikka (.243, .308, 6.5CM, ETC) you could drop it directly into our GEN 1 Element Chassis System. Which, we have on sale right now for less than $300 bucks for Left Hand Short Action Tikka's. Chassis, buttstock, and grip weigh in right around 3.5 pounds.

This way, you have the ability to adjust the length of pull to her now and as she grows. As well as extend it out for yourself to get behind the rifle! I know this is a little off topic from the original question but just wanted to throw another option into the mix. Food for thought.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out.

rodney482

WKR
Lefty stock tikka in the classifieds. It can be cut down.

Thanks for that. There is unfortunately not a LH compact or my issue would be solved.

Does anyone know about the difference between the older style and the T3x version and if the same process described above would work?

Jon S

Lil-Rokslider
One option is to change the factory stock out altogether. If you stick with a short action cartridge in the Tikka (.243, .308, 6.5CM, ETC) you could drop it directly into our GEN 1 Element Chassis System. Which, we have on sale right now for less than $300 bucks for Left Hand Short Action Tikka's. Chassis, buttstock, and grip weigh in right around 3.5 pounds.

This way, you have the ability to adjust the length of pull to her now and as she grows. As well as extend it out for yourself to get behind the rifle! I know this is a little off topic from the original question but just wanted to throw another option into the mix. Food for thought.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out.
Link shows 317.50, are there ones for less than $300, I’d be interested. Thanks
Jon