Tikka prefit barrel help

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
I just bought one from Oregon Mountain Rifles. Haven't got it installed yet, but came within the 3 week lead time on the website.

3 weeks is like jimmy johns freaky fast I’m at 8 months & counting on my Carbon6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wesfromky

WKR
Wanted to bump this thread with a related question - I am thinking about a 16" 6cm for my CTR, but like the current barrel profile. Are the same brands mentioned here worth looking at? And, what profile is a CTR? mediumish?

Wanted to bump this thread with a related question - I am thinking about a 16" 6cm for my CTR, but like the current barrel profile. Are the same brands mentioned here worth looking at? And, what profile is a CTR? mediumish?

That's a good question man. I can't find CTR contour dimensions anywhere. Lite dimensions are pretty easy to find, D18 and CTR not so much. Kind of sad because they seem to be more weight efficient than typical aftermarket contours. Most are pretty heavy on the breech end with longer shanks and less immediate taper but then have a faster taper for the rest of the barrel leaving people with heavier barrels and smaller muzzle diameters.

IIRC medium palma was about the closest standard contour available to the CTR but I also assume it'd be a little heavier on the breech end.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you provide the dimensions some will do a custom contour if you really want it to match.

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
Will 1:8 twist get you what you need? Cheapest/fastest path forward would probably be to find a CTR in 243 and have a gunsmith set the barrel back and rechamber to 6 creed. Does the Varmint profile match CTR?

You could sell the stock/action for a decent chunk of change to recover some cost.

You can get Criterion prefits in CTR contour

And they show the contour specs but they aren't a perfect match with factory. It's clear that the shank isn't the same which is typical on barrel nut barrels because they don't shoulder up the same. Not sure where they may vary elsewhere.

1727364469520.png

I've owned almost 10 McGowen barrels now and every one shot .5 or better, I did have to send a Tikka prefit back cuz the headspace was off. They had it back in a week.
PBB have been very poor for me, 2 shot terrible, another had to get rechambered twice..
Not a prefit, but I got a .257 #3 contour from McGowen and had UM chamber, thread, and fit for my .25-284 build. I had McGowen cut the 5/8-24 muzzle threads as they were about $60 cheaper than UM. This is by far the best shooting rifle I've ever owned. 3 shot cold bore group was .29 the other day and next 3 were all in the same holes but one that stretched it to around .5.

@willfrye027 has had good luck with PBB prefits.