Tikka prefit barrel help

lintond

WKR
Looking to order a new Tikka prefit

20” 6 CM spiral fluting threaded 5/8 for ultra 7 suppressor

Need help on manufacturer & barrel contour?

PVA is a little under $1k w/ thread protector
UM is $1k lb
Preferred $650

Any others? Good/bad with these? Do they meet their delivery timelines? Currently waiting on Carbon6 for 8 months when they quoted me 4…

Wouldn’t mind saving $$ with Preferred but price isn’t the most important factor to me….it needs to shoot.

Based on price I’d probably go UM over PVA just because of the Rokslide connection and I like what they are doing as a business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preferred for me. Between the PBB and MGM barrels that I have gotten over the years, I have only had one issue and that was a short throat on a 6.5TCU Contender barrel from back in the MGM remnant sale days. A quick trip back to them (on their dime) and it was as it should be and shot like the rest of them.

kickemall

WKR
I've got three from Preferred and they all came within the timelines and as ordered, no issues. All shot good but one of them took about 30 rounds then suddenly shot fantastic five shot groups, no idea why. Haven't used the others but I'd trust UM from my dealings with them.

Preferred are button rifled, fyi. Whether that matters is up to you. UM know how to build great barrels obviously. PVA knows how to optimize a 6 CM better than the others imo. Their PVA standard throating is longer than all the others and suits long heavy for caliber bullets, ie. 109, 112 and 115’s. The new .750 taper less is an awesome contour for 5/8 threads and when fluted, should weigh about 40 oz for a 20” Tikka.

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
Preferred are button rifled, fyi. Whether that matters is up to you. UM know how to build great barrels obviously. PVA knows how to optimize a 6 CM better than the others imo. Their PVA standard throating is longer than all the others and suits long heavy for caliber bullets, ie. 109, 112 and 115’s. The new .750 taper less is an awesome contour for 5/8 threads and when fluted, should weigh about 40 oz for a 20” Tikka.

Interested in your opinion of button vs cut?

I wasn’t intending to run heavy’s to that degree but I tend to end up there on previous builds. I had 108s as my preferred bullet based on others.

Lawnboi

WKR

I wasn’t intending to run heavy’s to that degree but I tend to end up there on previous builds. I had 108s as my preferred bullet based on others.

Cut is more expensive and desirable than buttoned. Iv had both shoot very well. PVA osprey blanks are button.

108 eld have along bearing surface and are ideal in a little longer freebore. I believe that’s what the pva standard was designed around.

Fwiw Iv been through 2 pva 6 creed prefits now and both shot excellent.

Pva offers a rush delivery for a hundred bucks to have you shooting in a couple weeks if you need. Kind of a nice option.

I actually didn’t realize that PVA Ospreys were button rifled like @Lawnboi mentioned. So I really don’t have an educated opinion on them I guess. My two 6 CM barrels are absolute shooters. If I were to shoot ELD-M’s, I’d look at the 109’s for higher B.C., but same terminal performance. A 1:7 twist with PVA throat would be great for that.

I don’t have a 6cm but do have a 25cm from preferred and it’s a shooter. Couldn’t be happier. I didn’t flute mine but did go with a hybrid lite since it’s threaded. Finished at 20”. Fits a factory stock just fine. With a 2.5-15x42 credo I’m right at 8 pounds with UM rings.

Hard to beat the PBB hybrid lite contour for a light hunting platform that needs 5/8" threads and 0.1" min shoulder. I think the recent PVA 750 taperless i got was $660 shipped, I'd probably pass on paying $1k for one (but i'd pass on the fluting much less paying extra for it too). I've seen enough negatives amongst many positives about PBB that I've avoided them personally.

Most standard sporter contours that maintain enough meat for a 0.1" shoulder with 5/8" muzzle threads are pretty heavy due to a heavy shank that doesn't taper very quickly. Benchmark contours seem to taper down a little quicker from the breech and then have a slower taper once it's straight and thus are a better fit for muzzle threads at a given weight. Benchmark #4 is a good one that's around 0.725" @ 18" finish, id feel comfortable using it for 20" finish with 5/8 threads, much longer than that I'd add an artificial shoulder.

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
My Preferred 22-250 barrel shoots just as good as my cut rifled barrels. I will be ordering more barrels from them.

I've owned almost 10 McGowen barrels now and every one shot .5 or better, I did have to send a Tikka prefit back cuz the headspace was off. They had it back in a week.
PBB have been very poor for me, 2 shot terrible, another had to get rechambered twice..

Sled

WKR
My vote wouldn't be what you asked for. I'd find a good smith and get a blank from the mfg that you and he agree on. That way your smith will warranty the barrel and work for you. You'll be money ahead in the end and likely have a better product. This opinion comes from multiple disappointments with Tikka prefits.

Whatever you do, don't go cheap.

Sled

WKR
I'll add to my last post. You can also send in your action to a quality barrel maker and they will set headspace for you. It can eliminate some issues. That said, most quality barrel makers can get real close with a prefit. Again, don't cheap out.

You can also go with a barrel nut and set the headspace yourself. It's not complicated at all.

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
You guys are giving me some good things to consider. Too many decisions…

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
I actually didn’t realize that PVA Ospreys were button rifled like @Lawnboi mentioned. So I really don’t have an educated opinion on them I guess. My two 6 CM barrels are absolute shooters. If I were to shoot ELD-M’s, I’d look at the 109’s for higher B.C., but same terminal performance. A 1:7 twist with PVA throat would be great for that.

I checked with PVA and their freebore options are 0.150 & 0.210. So you’re correct it’s a bit longer than others.

PVA did my 22 CM. Great barrel and shoots lights out.
You don't mention whether the spiral flutes are a weight-saving measure or just a great look. If the intent is weight savings, then another option would be a carbon fiber, shoulder pre-fit barrel from Oregon Mountain Rifles. The can make it in 7 twist and 20+ in length. They made my 300 WSM and did a great job.

skip189

FNG
Recently my brother and I re-barreled our Tikka Rifles. We went with X-caliber barrels with a barrel nut. Mine is a 6.5 prc and brothers is a 280AI. There lead time was 6 weeks I believe which is exactly when we got them so was spot on. Ordered x-caliber barrel nuts and was not happy with them when we head spaced the barrels as there was a gap and could still see threads. This was noted in their description of the barrel nuts but over looked it. Ordered PVA barrel nuts and installed them with the X caliber barrels and looks great as they have a little hood over hang to cover the threads. Both barrels are shooting great and would recommend them but I just dont like the barrel nuts leaving threads open and looks unfinished. Just my 2 cents.

Seubs070

FNG
I just bought one from Oregon Mountain Rifles. Haven't got it installed yet, but came within the 3 week lead time on the website.