Tikka Preferred prefit contours and stock questions

atmat

WKR
They didn't say anything, just showed up. It does fit in my stock but I sanded out the barrel channel for enough room to fit a dead cat.
Even if the barrel is awesome, I think it’s kind of crappy to deliver a product other than what was ordered — especially without telling the buyer

Edit: I’m also worried if it’s a new taper or something that it’ll look weird. I have a Stocky’s stock, which is quite a bit shorter on the fore end than the OEM stock.

Jimbee

WKR
@Jimbee when you getting us those pics?
20230324_043202.jpg20230324_043416.jpg
Middle picture is PB hybrid. Calipers say it's a .750 straight profile. Fluted barrel is a Tikka superlite. 3rd barrel is McGowen flared Tikka profile. In the pictures they don't look much different, but the PB is definitely a little thicker, heavier. Probably not significant on this short of a barrel (19") unless you're counting ounces.

atmat

WKR
View attachment 534349View attachment 534350
Middle picture is PB hybrid. Calipers say it's a .750 straight profile. Fluted barrel is a Tikka superlite. 3rd barrel is McGowen flared Tikka profile. In the pictures they don't look much different, but the PB is definitely a little thicker, heavier. Probably not significant on this short of a barrel (19") unless you're counting ounces.
Is .750 straight the same as .750 taperless? If so, they told me it would not fit in the OEM Tikka stock.

I’ve got a 20” 6cm .750” taperless on order. I’ll post some pics and weight when it get here.

I’m putting it in an XLR element but I do have an unmodified tikka stock laying around, I’ll see if it fits.

My .900” taperless 6.5cm tikka prefit from them is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atmat

WKR
I don’t want to sand down an aftermarket stock if I can avoid it. I’m hindsight, I should’ve just ordered my stock with a larger contour allowance instead — I’d rather have a big gap but know the barrel is actually free floated.

OP
H
I don’t want to sand down an aftermarket stock if I can avoid it. I’m hindsight, I should’ve just ordered my stock with a larger contour allowance instead — I’d rather have a big gap but know the barrel is actually free floated.

I have had to do it a couple of times on Remage builds. It isn't that big of a deal, plus you can get the gap and amount of float the exact way you want it.
I really do wish that PB would do the .750 taperless in the .338 caliber barrels, but they don't. It looks like I may end up going with a Wilson barrel from Ragged Holes. I have one of theirs on a Remage build and it is a solid performer. The #4 contour, fluted, from them is a bit heavier than a standard sporter, but still very manageable, and it has enough meat on it to be threaded 5/8-24 without issue.

I’ve got a 20” 6cm .750” taperless on order. I’ll post some pics and weight when it get here.

I’m putting it in an XLR element but I do have an unmodified tikka stock laying around, I’ll see if it fits.

What muzzle thread did you go with on the .750 taperless? That’s the exact barrel I want to go with when my 6.5 barrel is done

OP
H
Just a quick update on this.

After emailing back and forth with Preferred, they agreed to chamber a barrel in .338 Sherman Mega for me if I paid for the reamer/gauge rental. Considering I could do that, with a little extra for their time, and still get what I wanted for $100+ less than getting a prefit from Ragged Hole, I went that route.
Ended up ordering a light Palma contour, finished at 21.5", spiral fluted, and muzzle threaded 5/8-24.

Going to order the stock from Manners so I can get the barrel contour inlet I want rather than having to open up a sporter or other contour on an AG or Mesa.

atmat

WKR
Just a quick update on this.

After emailing back and forth with Preferred, they agreed to chamber a barrel in .338 Sherman Mega for me if I paid for the reamer/gauge rental. Considering I could do that, with a little extra for their time, and still get what I wanted for $100+ less than getting a prefit from Ragged Hole, I went that route.
Ended up ordering a light Palma contour, finished at 21.5", spiral fluted, and muzzle threaded 5/8-24.

Going to order the stock from Manners so I can get the barrel contour inlet I want rather than having to open up a sporter or other contour on an AG or Mesa.
Stocky’s also offers a Palma contour inlet if I recall.

I am currently running a Bartlein 2b in 6.5 prc at 18”. It is threaded for a thunderbeast 5/8 cb brake for an ultra 7. Originally it was 22 and still threaded for 5/8 but marginally. Currently looking at chambering a barrel in 300 win mag for it in a #3 or 3b at 22” for a little more support with the can.

As far as stock goes it is in a Stockys Stock ultra carbon vertical grip. Weighs 23 ounces. Gunsmith bedded it and added Spartan precision flush cup and arca.
Was you stock there when ordered or did you have to wait? All the ultra carbon from stockys I can see are back ordered.

landon509

FNG
Was you stock there when ordered or did you have to wait? All the ultra carbon from stockys I can see are back ordered.
Mine happened to be in stock at the time I ordered. I believe they just ran a sale on them which may be why they are out of stock

atmat

WKR
Update on this: my “lite contour with flare for 5/8x24” came in, and it looks to be taperless 0.75.

Edit: Emailed with PBB. It’s a Hybrid Lite contour and will supposedly fit in the OEM stock.

Last edited:

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider

Did you ever get that barrel?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lannyw