Tikka extractor installation help needed

deadi

Lil-Rokslider
I am attempting to install an extractor on a Tikka T3X. So far all I have achieved is a sore fingers. I do not have that nifty pliers that the video shows so I'm in improvise mode without much luck thus far.

If you know of a video or the steps to follow for a successful installation let me know.

Thank you.

Which video? I will do some Google-fu to see if I can find one, but if you post a link, it will help me to figure out if there is another tool you can use.

Edit: I assume you are talking about the Sako extractor pliers that have one jaw a little shorter than the other and a groove cut into it for the extractor to "fit" into, correct?

If so, then my suggestion would be to do the following:
1. Put the bolt into a vise with the extractor cut-out facing up.
2. Use a pick or very small punch to move the extractor pin back a little bit (put some tension on the spring and give yourself a little space for the extractor to slide in)
3. Using a needle-nose pliers, grip the very front of the extractor and pop it into place like in the video. This will require you to be pushing back and down at the same time with the pliers, so you will need a very firm grip to prevent the extractor from shifting. As it slides in, you will need to pull the pick/punch out.

This takes a bit of coordination and timing, so you may need a few tries to get it right.

If that doesn't work, my other suggestion would be to do the same thing with the pliers, but this time instead of trying to create the gap with the punch, use a bit larger punch to put some downward pressure on the rear of the extractor while pushing it in with the pliers.

Last edited: