Tikka Barrel Removal and Install Tool Swap Thread

gtriple

WKR
Based on the discussion from the Semi-Custom Tikka thread, I want to offer up my tools that I'm no longer using to others to remove their factory barrels and install new ones.

Here's what I've got and the cost to replace:
Wheeler Action Wrench #1 - $80
PMA Gen II Barrel Vise - $87
Bugholes Tikka Internal Action Wrench - $97
Torque Wrench (up to 80 ft-lb) w/ bit - $50
Some leather from Hobby Lobby

Full cost to replace = $314

I think some others might be willing to include go/no-go gauges if needed. If there's other items that are needed, feel free to post below and we can include them all together.

All of the above tools fit into a medium flat rate USPS box and cost about $15 each way to ship to the lower 48. So about $30 roundtrip.

The deal will be that the "buyer" pays shipping from and back to me plus makes a $5 donation to Rokslide to keep the Classifieds free.

If you have good feedback here, I won't charge anything up-front. If you are newer, then you'll need to pay me the full cost to replace prior to shipping then I will refund you once I get the items back.

I'm local to Charlotte, NC and can loan them out locally too.

Added the below queue so I can keep things in order. I'll give people 3 days to follow through and then move onto the next person.

Current Queue of Renters (in order of posting here or pm'ing me):
@chukwithak
@bharv2221
@Big_Sky_Guy
@nrh6.7
@qotsa23

IF YOU BREAK IT, YOU REPLACE IT.

Tools you need for barrel install:
  • A sturdy workbench
  • A pair of vice clamps or 1/2" bolts and nuts
Tools you need for barrel removal:
  • A very sturdy workbench
  • A pair of metal or heavy-duty vice clamps or 1/2" bolts and nuts
  • A rubber mallet
  • You may need some Kroil or other penetrant
Instructions (for both):
  1. Fasten the bottom of the vice to your bench and orient the top plate based on the profile of your barrel.
  2. Insert your barrel into the vice as far as possible. It works best not on a tapered section.
    • It is up to you if you want to use the leather or other tape around the barrel. PMA states on their site that the vice won't mar your barrel, but that is up to you.
  3. Tighten the vice bolts down to a maximum of 40ft-lbs (480in-lbs) per PMA.
For barrel removal:
  1. (Optional if removing factory barrel) - spray and soak the barrel threads with Kroil or another penetrant.
  2. Slide the black, external Wheeler wrench (with the flat parts on the inside) around the action to one of the two flat spots on the bottom of the action. I prefer the one closer to the barrel.
  3. Snug the wrench bolts up. They do not have to be torqued down hard. Just enough to keep it from rotating.
  4. Use a rubbermallet and whack the crap out of the wrench handle. I was shocked at how hard I had to hit the mallet to take the factory barrels off. Some are easier than others though.
    • If you are removing a non-factory barrel, you can probably just twist it off as long as it isn't Loctited on.
    • If you are having difficulty getting the factory barrel off, you can try using a breaker bar on the wrench handle.
For barrel install:
  1. (Optional) - apply an anti-seize to the threads on the barrel.
  2. Thread the action onto the barrel by hand.
  3. Insert the internal action wrench all the way into the action.
  4. Use the torque wrench to torque the barrel to your manufacturer's recommendation. 80ft-lbs (960in-lbs) is what my Proof recommended but check with your barrel manufacturer.
That's pretty much it. If you have any questions, let me know.

Disclaimer: You use these tools at your own risk. Any damage to your action, barrel, the tools, or any other components are not my liability. I am also not liable for any injuries or damages due to the use of these tools.

Last edited:

nobody

WKR
Tagged in, thank you sir! I've got one that's halfway there that I'll need to do soon, tagging in to save for later.

Jimbee

WKR
I have an internal action wrench, the big Wheeler action wrench and an aluminum barrel vise that works on tikka light contours for removal of factory barrel.
I also have:
300WSM go guage
6.5 CM go guage
6GT go guage.
.284win go guage
I'm willing to loan them out to WKRs for cost of shipping.
NE Iowa

Last edited:
I’m down at Eglin AFB, have the tools for a swap, only have a few go/no go gauges. Can help out if needed. My vise is mobile, so can go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbee

WKR
FWIW, I haven't experienced the nightmare factory barrel removal issues. I have removed installed 5 or so barrels. I use some paper or tape or whatever to pad the barrel in the vise and torque all the bolts down evenly. I install the big external action wrench bolts by hand and give it a few wiggles to make sure the flat part is sitting flat on the receiver, snug it with a wrench just tight enough that I don't think it can slip. A couple of removals required retightening of the barrel vise and a few whacks with a dead blow hammer, but nothing extreme. Haven't wrecked anything yet. It did seem to help to let Kroil soak down into the threads for a day (the first barrel soaked for a couple weeks, came right off)
Disclaimers:
Im not a gunsmith, not responsible for your decisions, small sample size, I'm not too scared to scratch and dent stuff and I'm not worried about how my guns look.
Having the ability to swap barrels may end up costing you money.

HoytHntr4

WKR
Awesome of you guys to offer up your tools to other Roksliders to save some money. Remembering this thread when I’m read to swap my barrel out

sndmn11

WKR
FWIW, I haven't experienced the nightmare factory barrel removal issues. I have removed installed 5 or so barrels... It did seem to help to let Kroil soak down into the threads for a day (the first barrel soaked for a couple weeks, came right off)
I have done a few for others here with the bugholes wrench and had them soak in Kroil. they all came off easier than expected.

atmat

WKR
This is awesome. A local Rockslider volunteered to swap my barrels for me. Love this community.

That said: anyone got 223 headspace gauges to loan me?

rdbunch20

FNG
This is awesome. I need to borrow a set. Also anyone have 7mm rem mag go/no go gauges. I'm in NM, I can deposit full amount if needed. Don't need a torque wrench.
I'm swapping factory barrels, going from 300 win to 7mm.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

arrow179

WKR
Pm sent. Would like to take you up on this offer please! I very much appreciate you in offering this service up👍🏼👍🏼

Very cool guys! I might have to start looking for a barrel now! Let’s hope people respect what you’re doing and keep the tools in good condition for everyone to keep using!

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Very cool guys! I might have to start looking for a barrel now! Let’s hope people respect what you’re doing and keep the tools in good condition for everyone to keep using!
I just thought it was silly that I had to buy $300+ of stuff to swap one, prefit screw-on barrel OR pay a gunsmith about $200 to do it one time. And now the components are just sitting collecting dust. But I don't want to totally get rid of them because I'll use them again eventually.

arrow179

WKR
I just thought it was silly that I had to buy $300+ of stuff to swap one, prefit screw-on barrel OR pay a gunsmith about $200 to do it one time. And now the components are just sitting collecting dust. But I don't want to totally get rid of them because I'll use them again eventually.
Great idea for sure!!

NSI

WKR
I've got a #1 wheeler and Viper barrel vise here in Star Valley Wyoming. Anyone local is welcome to come by the shop and use for free. Shipping is a nightmare for me out here, but I respect the guys who are doing it!

-J

I am in the Greenville/Spartanburg area of SC and have the following:

Wheeler #1 wrench
Viper barrel vise
Bugholes Tikka internal action wrench
Bugholes Remington 700 internal action wrench
Snap Torque Wrench (up to 120 ft/lbs) with sockets for action wrenches and adapters for barrel nuts
Savage Barrel nut wrench
308 family go and no-go gauge
30-06 family go gauge
Belted Mag go gauge

I travel quite a bit for work, but if anyone in the area wants to do a barrel swap on a Tikka, Remington, or Savage, we can probably work something out for you to come over and use what I have.

02sedona

FNG
Anyone in the Tahoe/Reno area that has the tools to do a barrel swap? I’m looking to swap a Tikka Superlite 300wm for an oem 7 mm rm Superlite barrel I purchased.